Ryan Finley, Nc State | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Finley, Nc State

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Starting to look into the quarterbacks. Watched Ryan Finley highlights and game versus Boston College. Here are some of my thoughts.

Positives
* Athletic, can get yards with his feet
* Avoids the rush well and makes plays on the move
* Good size (I think 6-4)
* Pretty nice touch on deep ball
* Fairly accurate

Other
* Arm strength is functional, closer to Tom Brady than John Elway
* Makes a few bad choices on throws leading to interceptions

Overall
Looks like a good prospect. I would like to know what type of personality his has and all those intangibles that you can't see on tape.

He’s having a solid game against FSU, but that isn’t saying much

He’s having a solid game against FSU, but that isn’t saying much
He looks pretty good to me. I don't know about first round, but a couple of quarterbacks will be pushed up, probably Grier and Finley.

He looks pretty good to me. I don't know about first round, but a couple of quarterbacks will be pushed up, probably Grier and Finley.

I think Lock's arm, prototypical size and career stats (yards and TDs) will push him up too. I have little doubt he'll be a first rounder, is that overdrafting ? If you read the knowledgeable folks on here absolutely. The first real chance I got to see him was on Saturday against the Gators and he was pretty darn impressive, I have to admit.

Grier, I've already professed my love for, I think he's a round 2 talent that again will get drafted in the first.

Finley I've not seen anything of but wouldn't be surprised to see all three of these guys not make it out of round 1, especially if Haskins and Herbert stay in school.

Devlin Hodges hung nearly 500 yards on FSU's defense.

Any Senior quarterback from this class taken in the 1st round is forcing something that simply isn't there. It's Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, E.J. Manuel, Christian Hackenburg territory being treaded here among the Senior class. Most of these QB's falter against pressure. Their good is good, but their bad is off the charts - the variance is too high. It indicates something to you...

The NFL tends to select these quarterbacks too high and then wonder why they didn't work out.

Devlin Hodges hung nearly 500 yards on FSU's defense.

Any Senior quarterback from this class taken in the 1st round is forcing something that simply isn't there. It's Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, E.J. Manuel, Christian Hackenburg territory being treaded here among the Senior class. Most of these QB's falter against pressure. Their good is good, but their bad is off the charts - the variance is too high. It indicates something to you...

The NFL tends to select these quarterbacks too high and then wonder why they didn't work out.
I agree, but this also feels like a draft where Miami will prioritize the quarterback position. Ryan Tannehill is, unfortunately, becoming Sam Bradford as far as injuries go. I think the organization could panic there and reach for one of these guys.

There are attractive qualities about Ryan Finley but as you watch him just go out there and BE AN ATHLETE, and I don't just mean running around and stuff, you're left seriously wanting.

I mean, how much talent does the guy really have? He looks like a Derek Anderson backup type.

Starting to look into the quarterbacks. Watched Ryan Finley highlights and game versus Boston College. Here are some of my thoughts.

Positives
* Athletic, can get yards with his feet
* Avoids the rush well and makes plays on the move
* Good size (I think 6-4)
* Pretty nice touch on deep ball
* Fairly accurate

Other
* Arm strength is functional, closer to Tom Brady than John Elway
* Makes a few bad choices on throws leading to interceptions

Overall
Looks like a good prospect. I would like to know what type of personality his has and all those intangibles that you can't see on tape.

His arm strength is a couple notches below the current version of Brady, His arm strength is average, His deep out passes rarely hit the mark.

His arm strength is a couple notches below the current version of Brady, His arm strength is average, His deep out passes rarely hit the mark.

Average for a college quarterback.

Not average for an NFL quarterback, certainly not for an NFL starting quarterback.

But I've got more work to do, in order to be sure.

Average for a college quarterback.

Not average for an NFL quarterback, certainly not for an NFL starting quarterback.

But I've got more work to do, in order to be sure.
That's really my major concern. Can he make the tight window throws in the NFL? I like his athletic ability more than you do, but I agree with others that there's a lot to like, but maybe not a lot to love. If that makes sense.

The only QB’s I like Is Clayton Thorson and Justin Herbert...but I don’t love them.

The only QB’s I like Is Clayton Thorson and Justin Herbert...but I don’t love them.
Yeah, it's a tough year to be in the quarterback market. I think Miami should load up on defensive lineman and offensive lineman, maybe take a top linebacker if one drops.

But, I do think the team will take a quarterback. Probably in the mid-round range.

Back
Top Bottom