Saban Article from ESPN | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban Article from ESPN

hate to say but many days late with this one.... good read for those that missed it though...

Long article but interesting.I think this quote sums up our draft

"I don't think it's just a coincidence that [the Dolphins] took me, and that I had some big games against LSU and against coach Saban," acknowledged former Auburn tailback Ronnie Brown, the second overall choice Saturday and Saban's inaugural selection in his new job. "Believe me, [Saban] knew a lot about me. And he knows exactly what he is getting by drafting me."

Make no mistake: Saban and his coaching staff knew a lot about virtually every one of the six picks they exercised in the draft.

Alabi being the exception at TCU, but he did get scouted by Houck..

very good read, great article.
favorite part =
The guy who wrote the book on effectively using assistant coaches in the draft process, who harvested draft bounties by connecting with his college contacts, Jimmy Johnson, collected a couple of Super Bowl rings during his NFL tenure.With Saban having demonstrated last weekend that he already has a built-in draft edge, don't bet against his duplicating that kind of success.

I just wonder how Houck settled on Alabi out of all the tackle prospects out there. He doesn't run fast but is very athletic in other ways (guess he just doesn't have a top gear), and his strength is supposed to be superb. I think he needs a lot of work on his core strength like what Zach is doing. Even though he can bench a really high max, I hear that Alabi didn't bench the 225 bar too many times...so he needs to work on that I think.

ckparrothead said:
I just wonder how Houck settled on Alabi out of all the tackle prospects out there. He doesn't run fast but is very athletic in other ways (guess he just doesn't have a top gear), and his strength is supposed to be superb. I think he needs a lot of work on his core strength like what Zach is doing. Even though he can bench a really high max, I hear that Alabi didn't bench the 225 bar too many times...so he needs to work on that I think.

Agreed ck, Houck passed up Britt and some other tackles for Alabi so I will take his word for it he knows more about O-Line than I. He was a big-timer preformer in college so I hope he works out..

CrunchTime said:
Long article but interesting.I think this quote sums up our draft

I for one am glad Saban appears to place more importance on what he sees a football player do on the field than he does a scout watching a workout with a stopwatch.

Back
Top Bottom