Saban Cautious On Ricky Return | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban Cautious On Ricky Return

DrAstroZoom said:
I think the wince was for "Here we go again. I'll only have to answer THIS question about 1,000 more times."

That's what happens when you open the can of worms that is RW. And it's not just him. It'll happen to everybody on the team. I think he underestimated the affect of that and continues to do so.

DrAstroZoom said:
I think the wince was for "Here we go again. I'll only have to answer THIS question about 1,000 more times."

Ah, the good Dr., I agree. That's what I am talking about. I don't think the article indicated anything more than having to deal with media crap. The title is misleading. Saban can't control the media and will have to put up with this distraction. He can control his organization though, if he has the talent and know how to make sure that the distraction will not be coming from internal strife or a sense from the players that "quitting" is okay..

Leadership is a real thing that can actually be used to quell problems of perception of a team (whether in an office or a football team... considering the regimented aspects of football I would say it is even easier than an office). If Saban is as good as people say he is, there will be no fallout from this with the players. Ricky's symbolism doesn't mean anything against the vision and charisma of a Head Coach who is actually in control. DW would have had problems with this, that's for sure, but we have to get past that give our new HC a chance. Saban has shown confidence in his abilities to handle the situation. I'm not saying that he will definitely be able to handle it. He hasn't even coached an NFL season yet. But I don't think that a good HC would let anyone get away with thinking that quitting gets rewarded as a result of something as petty as Ricky coming back, especially when apart from this one issue, it behooves the coach to try and at least get as much value out of Ricky before we trade him. Now if we heard that Saban were a softy that would be a different story, he would have to deal with people the way DW did and would probably fail in this situation.

People are placing way too much power in Ricky's hands and not enough in the HC's. This is not a stupid decision for a good leader, it is only a stupid decision for a mediocre or bad leader. Focus on Saban's abilities and not on Ricky's past. Or, in other words, if he can't handle it, that will say much more about his leadership abilities than the wisdom of this decision.

I will add that I have seen people step into organizations that were poorly run with more than one Ricky (and even a Kobe type) and turn it around because they knew they had the confidence and skill to pull that off. They knew how to exude authority, competence, vision, responsibility and accountablity. People who you might otherwise have given up on can respond well when inspired.

The media would love to make something out of it though and there is very little Saban can do about it until the season starts.

dalmog said:
Ah, the good Dr., I agree. That's what I am talking about. I don't think the article indicated anything more than having to deal with media crap. The title is misleading. Saban can't control the media and will have to put up with this distraction. He can control his organization though, if he has the talent and know how to make sure that the distraction will not be coming from internal strife or a sense from the players that "quitting" is okay..

Leadership is a real thing that can actually be used to quell problems of perception of a team (whether in an office or a football team... considering the regimented aspects of football I would say it is even easier than an office). If Saban is as good as people say he is, there will be no fallout from this with the players. Ricky's symbolism doesn't mean anything against the vision and charisma of a Head Coach who is actually in control. DW would have had problems with this, that's for sure, but we have to get past that give our new HC a chance. Saban has shown confidence in his abilities to handle the situation. I'm not saying that he will definitely be able to handle it. He hasn't even coached an NFL season yet. But I don't think that a good HC would let anyone get away with thinking that quitting gets rewarded as a result of something as petty as Ricky coming back, especially when apart from this one issue, it behooves the coach to try and at least get as much value out of Ricky before we trade him. Now if we heard that Saban were a softy that would be a different story, he would have to deal with people the way DW did and would probably fail in this situation.

People are placing way too much power in Ricky's hands and not enough in the HC's. This is not a stupid decision for a good leader, it is only a stupid decision for a mediocre or bad leader. Focus on Saban's abilities and not on Ricky's past. Or, in other words, if he can't handle it, that will say much more about his leadership abilities than the wisdom of this decision.

EXCELLENT post. Saban's annoyance at the recurring question will not change his convictions on the RW matter, whatever they may ultimately be.

dalmog said:

The problem is that symbolism is as real as leadership. I believe that the players will follow (rightfully so) Saban's leadership. However, bringing in a negative influence will still have a negative affect. Sometimes the production is sufficient to offset that. I'm not sure that's the case with RW. And if the team is negatively affected by RW I will not suddenly believe that Saban is a bad leader. I will believe he made a bad decision and that as a good leader, he will learn from it.

rafael said:
And if the team is negatively affected by RW I will not suddenly believe that Saban is a bad leader. I will believe he made a bad decision and that as a good leader, he will learn from it.

I'll go one step further and say that the second RW starts dragging the team down, he's gone.

rafael said:
The problem is that symbolism is as real as leadership. I believe that the players will follow (rightfully so) Saban's leadership. However, bringing in a negative influence will still have a negative affect. Sometimes the production is sufficient to offset that. I'm not sure that's the case with RW. And if the team is negatively affected by RW I will not suddenly believe that Saban is a bad leader. I will believe he made a bad decision and that as a good leader, he will learn from it.

I agree the symbolism is also real, I just don't think there is any major cause for alarm. EDIT: I cetainly don't think it as potent as good leadership: Unless Ricky really goes out of his way to make a transition back with the team difficult, a good leader should be able to make sure there are no internal distractions. Of course, if Ricky doesn't comply he gets cut. If he doesn't perform, he gets cut. But to be overly nervous about it at this point is premature. There is no objective reason that this should be as big of a deal for the team as it is for the press and the fans. We are out here wondering what's going on with the guy who broke our hearts. We dont have the leadership of a Saban. The players on the other hand do. They have someone who can model toughness, and who has a plan to turn the team around despite the past. One player, even as central as he was, should not upset that balance if there is a strong leader. Assuming he doesn't actively go out of his way to poison the atmosphere, Saban should be able handle his return in his organization. If he can't, than that is a leadership problem. IMHO, It is only a bad decision relative to his ability to lead. Of course if Ricky actually doesn't comply than Saban should drop him. But in either situation it shouldn't distract the team.

This article, although it doesn't claim to be, seems to be more about external distractions from the media that Saban will have to deal with. It will be a pain in the behind for him.

Back
Top Bottom