Saban Must Stick To His Word | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban Must Stick To His Word

Ghetti13

Seasoned Veteran
Joined
May 2, 2004
Messages
878
Reaction score
0
Nick Saban has said that acquiring Patrick Surtain will require second round compensation. He has to stand by that. The minute he settles for less he will have layed down a precedent that will haunt him for his career as a GM. He will show a weakness, and teams will use that against him. Its human nature. They will wait him out.

I would not be surprised if Miami cannot acquire Surtain for the Chiefs second this year. However, I would not be surprised if they recieve the fourth this year and a second next year.

Surtain for a 4th this year and 3rd next year would be the equivolent of a third rounder. About the 85th overall. Bad precedent.

However, Surtain for the 4th this year and 2nd next year would be the equivolent of a second rounder. About the 59th overall. That is much closer to value.

If Miami gets two picks for Surtain it will and should be a 4th in 2005 and 2nd in 2006. Otherwise, we will have a GM who's word is not respected, and we will have a hard time playing a good poker face.
 

datruth55

Hungry for defense
Super Donator
Club Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2004
Messages
21,804
Reaction score
4,118
Location
U.S.A.
South Florida said:
We need a 2nd round pick THIS year.

I agree with that hole heartedly. Next year we'll have all of our draft picks this year we are short thanks to Wannstedt and Spielman who traded picks like they grew on trees. This draft is deep and the talent available in the 2nd will help us this year. We don't know what next years draft will look like.
 

Ghetti13

Seasoned Veteran
Joined
May 2, 2004
Messages
878
Reaction score
0
This is not a one year building plan. Keep that in mind.
 

datruth55

Hungry for defense
Super Donator
Club Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2004
Messages
21,804
Reaction score
4,118
Location
U.S.A.
Ghetti13 said:
This is not a one year building plan. Keep that in mind.

No it's not a one year building plan but to me experience is just as important as athleticism. You get a guy this year he has a year of experience over someone that we get next year.

Don't forget that JT and Zach are not getting any younger too. They are the heart of the defense.
 

Cheapshotz

Scout Team
Joined
Mar 26, 2005
Messages
290
Reaction score
0
Age
44
I know you guys are getting all worked up about the rumors Saban might settle for less. I'm 100% confident that Saban will stick to his word and we will receive a 2nd rounder for Surtain.

Man, i love having confidence in the coach. What a good feeling after all the hair pulling i did during the Wanny years.
 

Todd347347

Active Roster
Joined
Mar 24, 2005
Messages
586
Reaction score
0
I agree he has to stick to his word, but you are putting words into his mouth. Saban has said they have set a compensation level for Pat and they will not compromise. He has NEVER said the compensation level is a second round pick, that my friend is speculation.
 

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2003
Messages
3,023
Reaction score
73
Ghetti13 said:
Nick Saban has said that acquiring Patrick Surtain will require second round compensation. He has to stand by that. The minute he settles for less he will have layed down a precedent that will haunt him for his career as a GM. He will show a weakness, and teams will use that against him. Its human nature. They will wait him out.

I would not be surprised if Miami cannot acquire Surtain for the Chiefs second this year. However, I would not be surprised if they recieve the fourth this year and a second next year.

Surtain for a 4th this year and 3rd next year would be the equivolent of a third rounder. About the 85th overall. Bad precedent.

However, Surtain for the 4th this year and 2nd next year would be the equivolent of a second rounder. About the 59th overall. That is much closer to value.

If Miami gets two picks for Surtain it will and should be a 4th in 2005 and 2nd in 2006. Otherwise, we will have a GM who's word is not respected, and we will have a hard time playing a good poker face.

Saban can do whatever he wants, actually. In fact, he has never actually been quoted anywhere as to what he specifically wants. That's all been "rumored" by the media. It may or may not be true.

Beyond that, how many reports have we heard in which the Dolphins were thinking or doing X and when Saban is finally asked in a real interview - no one got it right? In only 3 months it's been more than almost the whole tenure of Dave W.

And, teams always insist on something - sometimes it's a negotiating ploy; other times it really is a serious barrier.

While I disagree with your basic premise, I do agree that we should want your pick selections noted - at the least - and I wrote the same in another post. A 2nd in 2006 is only a 3rd this year.
 

Ghetti13

Seasoned Veteran
Joined
May 2, 2004
Messages
878
Reaction score
0
That is speculation. However, unless you work along side Saban, you have to work with the details that we get from the most reliable source we have, the paper. The paper said second, and since I have not spoken with Saban, I am going to *** u me that is the level he has set. Also, we got Will Poole in the fourth last year. So, impact players can be had in that round. How nice would it be to get another Will Poole type prospect and still have a second coming your way the next year? In order to do this right it must be a multiple year plan. See. New England and Philidelphia.
 

Ghetti13

Seasoned Veteran
Joined
May 2, 2004
Messages
878
Reaction score
0
How can anyone disagree with the premise that the GM must stick to his word? How many people have traded football cards before? If you are trading with a kid that you knew had a penchant for settling, what would you do? You would wait him out. I understand that this is on a much grander scale, but the premise is still as true at that level. Saban must stick to his demand, whatever it is.
 

danita

Rookie
Joined
Apr 6, 2005
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Location
mexico
this year a second roud is almoust the most important think to being good next season
 

FinzManiac

Second String
Joined
Mar 17, 2004
Messages
1,313
Reaction score
0
Age
42
Location
Baltimore, MD
My gut tells me that unless we get a 2nd or better this year Surtain will be a Dolphin this coming season. Unless a first next year is offered...

I truly believe that Saban has his value for Surtain set and it's set pretty high. And I believe that he will not compromise his stance on it.

Basicly it comes down to the fact that I believe what Saban says. He said he will not be giving him away and I trust that.

In Saban we Trust!
 

Ghetti13

Seasoned Veteran
Joined
May 2, 2004
Messages
878
Reaction score
0
It does not matter that we are "good" next season as it matters that we are "great" in four seasons. Shortsightedness by the previous regime put us in this mess.
 

dolphingator

Active Roster
Joined
Oct 25, 2004
Messages
777
Reaction score
0
datruth55 said:
No it's not a one year building plan but to me experience is just as important as athleticism. You get a guy this year he has a year of experience over someone that we get next year.

This is why we need a QB NOW. Leinart is the ENTIRE QB draft in 2006 and we won't touch him. Get Alex Smith in here and start the learning curve.
 
Top Bottom