Sabans Draft thought process | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sabans Draft thought process

JTech194

Starter
Reaction score
Does anyone here believe that Saban had a good idea that ricky coming back was likely and that he was going to re-sign boston and that's why he took ronnie brown instead of any other running back because of browns ability to play multiple positions and split time in the backfield. and that Boston if healthy would be better than any of the top receivers in the draft immidiately. ? Looking at the recent developments it just looks like he kind of knew what he was doing by drafting Brown. And not Edwards or any other back. Thoughts!

I think Saban took Ronnie Brown because RB was our biggest need, and Ricky isn't coming back 100%. I agree with the Boston statement, Saban didn't draft a WR because he knew Boston would be a sooner impact.

I think he took Ronnie because he was the BPA... he took Roth because he was the BPA... he took Channing because he was the BPA.

With regard to RW, yes, and I've mentioned this previously in a couple different threads.

In the little mini talk Saban had with the press immediately after picking Brown, he listed the qualities that made Ronnie Stand out from the rest of the available picks. He included "can share time (or split carries or something like that) with another significant player". THAT is what suggested to me, rather than the "two is better than one" comment, that he *seriously* was considering RopeWeed to be a possibility.

Don't have a feel one way or the other regarding Boston.

finsnchips said:
I think he took Ronnie because he was the BPA... he took Roth because he was the BPA... he took Channing because he was the BPA.

I agree.

Agua said:
With regard to RW, yes, and I've mentioned this previously in a couple different threads.

In the little mini talk Saban had with the press immediately after picking Brown, he listed the qualities that made Ronnie Stand out from the rest of the available picks. He included "can share time (or split carries or something like that) with another significant player". THAT is what suggested to me, rather than the "two is better than one" comment, that he *seriously* was considering RopeWeed to be a possibility.

Don't have a feel one way or the other regarding Boston.

I agree, I think he has known since the first mabye second convo he had with ricky and I think that was a significant factor on who he picked. Remember also, Saban cited Brown's ability to lead block. who picks a back no 2 overall and one of the first things that comes out of his mouth is his ability as a blocker? He knew, and I would'nt be surprised if this has something to do with restricting the media's acces to the players and practices, you know, to lessen the circus atmosphere that was sure to develop with Ricky's return. Saban's a smart cat....

I think you guys are too much into conspiracy theories and the events that are unfolding are simply life's twists and turns....... No way Saban could trust ANYTHING that Ricky may or may not have told him.

dolfan4good said:
I think you guys are too much into conspiracy theories and the events that are unfolding are simply life's twists and turns....... No way Saban could trust ANYTHING that Ricky may or may not have told him.

That's the thing about it, he wasn't "trusting Ricky" He covered his a$$ whether Ricky came back or not with drafting a multi-purpose back. He filled a glaring hole with the Brown and if RW does follow through and come back he has added production which translates to value trade wise or whatever. Also, Saban is a master planner by all accounts, so, to dismiss these moves as just chance or luck may be a little short sighted...

phillyphinphan said:
That's the thing about it, he wasn't "trusting Ricky" He covered his a$$ whether Ricky came back or not with drafting a multi-purpose back. He filled a glaring hole with the Brown and if RW does follow through and come back he has added production which translates to value trade wise or whatever. Also, Saban is a master planner by all accounts, so, to dismiss these moves as just chance or luck may be a little short sighted...

I agree. It just seems to me that looking at it on the surface saban drafting Ronnie brown 2nd overall was questionable. He didn't have the college production to that the guy from texas had and he also was not starting on his own team. Many people questioned the move including a lot of draft experts. Also him not taking a receiver at all in the draft leads me to believe that saban knew that boston was going to be re-signed. I think the guy has a maticulous way of planning things and he executes his plans no matter what others outside the organization may say or think. Wanny especially last year did not do this.

dolfan4good said:

Oh, I think Brown was BPA and he would have picked him anyway, my *hunch* is that he believed it was a serious possibility that RW would return, not just some "who knows" kind of thing. I can't see the point in him listing "share time in backfield with significant player" (or "split time" or whatever it was he said), when the whole point of the convo and his laundry list supporting the Brown selection was to brag about Ronnie, not talk about RopeWeed. RW only came up when a reporter asked him if drafting Ronnie "put to rest speculation about RW" after the comment I referred to above.

jjizzim said:
I agree. It just seems to me that looking at it on the surface saban drafting Ronnie brown 2nd overall was questionable.

No, now that I disagree on. Of course, just my opinoin, but I don't believe he would have taken Brown at two in reliance upon a belief that RW would return if there was someone he believed was a better player. I base my belief that he thought a RW return was serious solely upon the comment I referred to above.

finsnchips said:

I Agree 100%

Back
Top Bottom