Saban's Streak Intact | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban's Streak Intact

FinFan57

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Nick Saban's streak of non-losing seasons is safe in my opinion. If we examine why the Dolphins went 4-12 last year, it isn't hard to see why Saban will not have a losing season this year.

1) Just the addition of Saban, Linehan, and Houck adds 2 games from last year's record. Our coaching was absolutley the worst in the NFL last season but the stability and track record of the current staff alone brings us to 6-10.

2) The QB fiasco of last year is over. AJ Feeley will either play up to his potential and be much improved from last year or Gus Frerotte will be our starter. Either way, the FeeFee era is over and the QB play will be improved. This adds 1 more game versus last year - We're at 7-9.

3) Injuries/problems with key players were disastrous last year. Enough has been said about our starting RB. That won't be a problem this year, even if Ricky doesn't return. RB is actually a strength now. Our D-line is fairly deep this year as opposed to being a swinging gate last year with the absence of Bowens and Chester. We have depth almost everywhere now but the secondary. Add another game which brings us to 8-8.

4) The main problems from last year have been corrected. We couldn't run the ball and we couldn't stop the run either. Enter Ronnie Brown, et al. An improved o-line, better blocking scheme, a more balanced offense and we will be running with the rock this year. The D-line has been fixed with Carter, Holliday, Roth, Traylor, etc. Our linebacking group is deeper and Saban's great defensive schemes will put pressure on opposing offenses. We were more predictable than Madonna's sex life during the Wanny era. No more, we will be hard to run against, opposing QB's will be pressured, and we will run the ball. We have enough receivers to compensate for mediocre QB play and we should have improved blocking. This adds up to another game, now we're at 9-7.

5) I will subtract a game because we play in the toughest division, have a brutal schedule, everything is new this year, I'm not sold on our defensive secondary, and I'm a homer. That leaves the Dolphins at 8-8. Saban's streak of no losing seasons as a head coach stays intact.

I don't think you can add a game for lack of injuries at this point. It's way too early. I still think we will finish 8-8 or better.

phinMikeDC said:
I don't think you can add a game for lack of injuries at this point. It's way too early. I still think we will finish 8-8 or better.
I think he meant there is more depth now, so injuries wont be as big of a factor.

Good post. If you look at our team at this point last year, before Ricky retired, before Boston got hurt our team still looked in shambles. They seemed to have no respect for the coaching staff. This year its all differant. You look at the number of close games that we lost. Easily half of them, were because of poor coaching.

We will be much improved. It wasn't just wanny...JJ too told everyone what he was going to do to. Good experienced coaches will destroy that. Saban is quiet, which is good.

Not sure he can keep it up with what we got but 5-11 is better then 4-12, so anything higher is a move in the right direction. I honestly believe he has a 3-5 year plan and will just get the bes out of them as possible. with that said 8-8 would make me so very very happy

I think the position that will make or break us more than any other is (suprise) QB. Having a solid QB really can be the difference between 5-11 and 11-5.

Just image this team. This very team, only with Tom Brady as its QB.
Image this team with Peyton Manning as its QB.

Are you envisioning playoffs now??

We've got the receivers. We've got the TEs. We've got the RBs. We've got the coordinator and position coaches. Heck, I believe we'll even have the OL (good enough to get by anyway, they could really come on down the stretch IMO). This has the makings of a very dangerous and explosive offense. But do we have that catalyst to make it go??

The importance of the QB position can't be stressed enough. Suprisingly, we've got enough depth at most positions to overcome injuries. But unfortunately I'm not a big believer in A.J. Feeley. Not yet anyway. I think he'll be average at best this season. And that's going to be the big difference.

Gus Frerotte had some nice spot duty in Minnesota. But he did it against teams that were 21st, 28th, and 32nd in pass defense. This is the AFC East. And we fielded the league's toughest schedule.

Our need areas are well known.

A DL of Carter, Traylor, Chester and Taylor, with Zach, Seau behind them, is extremely tough to run on. With Kevin Carter inside and David Bowens at RE, it becomes much easier. We're still very strong and in the front seven. But unless Kevin Vickerson becomes 'somebody' this year, DT will absolutely be addressed next offseason. We're one injury away from big trouble there.

Will we chase veteran stud Lance Schulters once he's released?? Or is Saban sticking with Travares Tillman??

Losing Will Poole hurts. This injury could set him (and us) back two years. Reggie Howard and Mario Edwards aren't cut from the same cloth as Poole. Travis Daniels could be the guy who suprises everyone. If Ty Law somehow lines up in Miami for a season, things get much better.

8-8 would be great. Anything above that is a bonus. If we had a proven QB, I'd be thinking possible playoff contention. We'll just have to see.

I see 7-9 personally because as much as our team changed it stayed the same. Our offense will be the key the D will play its usual top 10 ranking, and how our line and Feeley do will determine if we can break 8 wins..

The NFL is a coach's league - see Patsies. I really believe we went from the outhouse to the penthouse as far as our coaching staff goes. Our improved coaching alone should get us close to even (8-8). With a little luck, low injuries, and decent QB play, we might do even better.

I'm so glad the days of predictable footballl are over. I remember going to watch the Fins play at the local sportsbar and even the waitresses could call our next play!

Back
Top Bottom