Saban's "under" defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban's "under" defense

The only thing that worries me about this defense, is teams running designed cut back plays. As you can see in figure 3. If 54 over runs the play and the center cuts the NT off, there is a natural lane for the RB to cut back into.

It's not a 3-4 defense. It is a 4-3 with an under shift.

He is going to run a base 4-3, and then throw in some odd man fronts (3-4, 2-5 etc..) The other teams will not know when or why we are in a 4-3, 3-4, 2-5.

A 2-5 is an even front, uness you are thinking about a 5-2, which is 5 down linemen and 2 backers.

KB21 said:
A 2-5 is an even front, uness you are thinking about a 5-2, which is 5 down linemen and 2 backers.

Yeah, my point was kind of like yours, he will run a base 4-3 and slide into different fronts similar to what NE did.

It will be a base 4-3, but the base is the under shift. You won't see Miami line up in the 4-3 like they have under Jimmy and Dave. In that, the ends play out wide because their first responsibility was to rush the passer. The tackles played head up on the guards and controlled two gaps.

Nick's "stunt" 4-3 is a hybrid defense in itself. It's a one gap style of defense in the sense that the players will line up in a gap as opposed to playing an even technique, but at least on the strong side, the players have to be able to take on a double team like a two gap defensive lineman.

shellgh0st said:
The only thing that worries me about this defense, is teams running designed cut back plays. As you can see in figure 3. If 54 over runs the play and the center cuts the NT off, there is a natural lane for the RB to cut back into.

I'm sure the coaches and all the other assistance know of this and know how to cover them appropriately. Saban does know how to coach defense so I'm not too worried how he wants this defense to run.

Back
Top Bottom