Sad: Maybe Concussion Related: Former NFL player Phillip Adams kills 5 in South Carolina, then himself | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sad: Maybe Concussion Related: Former NFL player Phillip Adams kills 5 in South Carolina, then himself

Like some here, I understand that CTE can influence things, but ultimately people with CTE still know that it's wrong to kill people and I hate when it seems like CTE is being used a scapegoat for doing reprehensible things. As others have alluded to, there are many people who have been damaged through abuse or other issues - we are sympathetic that those people have been victims, but we don't condone them killing people, either.

I recently lost my father to the effects of years of self destructive behavior, which was influenced by some mental difficulties and even possibly CTE from some non-football applications. Thing is, my dad's struggles were real, and ultimately he caused his own demise because of it, but he didn't go around harming others because of his struggles.
Acknowledging it's a contributing factor isn't using it as a scapegoat.

Mentally disturbed, but you don't think there's a logical link to CTE? You made the connection yourself, then denied it. :shrug:
I think he was mentally disturbed because I don’t believe any sane person would go out with a gun and randomly start killing people. It happens all the time unfortunately and there has never been a case where one of these mentally ill people suffered from CTE that we know of.

Perhaps he suffered from CTE from his years playing football but many players have suffered from this illness and they haven’t gone on a rampage killing others. Perhaps you missed the part that he killed the Doctor and his family members and it was this doctor who refused to renew his prescription for pain pills.

To me it appears that he had a drug problem and his doctor cut him off from his drugs and he decided to kill the doctor and the doctor’s family. That has nothing to do with CTE, IMO.

I think he was mentally disturbed because I don’t believe any sane person would go out with a gun and randomly start killing people. It happens all the time unfortunately and there has never been a case where one of these mentally ill people suffered from CTE that we know of.

Perhaps he suffered from CTE from his years playing football but many players have suffered from this illness and they haven’t gone on a rampage killing others. Perhaps you missed the part that he killed the Doctor and his family members and it was this doctor who refused to renew his prescription for pain pills.

To me it appears that he had a drug problem and his doctor cut him off from his drugs and he decided to kill the doctor and the doctor’s family. That has nothing to do with CTE, IMO.
Yes there has. You act like people are randomly making this connection. Now is it definitely CTE? We can't say that. But based on his profession, and previous cases that you seem to be unaware of, CTE is certainly at least probable in this case.

The problem with CTE is that is a brain injury... yes, you know this.

But when a brain is injured, many sufferers no longer have the CAPACITY to make moral decisions. Men who used to be solid citizens now lack the sense they used to have... and this is why many of these horrible outcomes have NOTHING to do with morality or whether the shooter was a good or a bad person.

When I hear some critic casually wave off the CTE and start talking about good and evil, I just want to scream.

The problem with CTE is that is a brain injury... yes, you know this.

But when a brain is injured, many sufferers no longer have the CAPACITY to make moral decisions. Men who used to be solid citizens now lack the sense they used to have... and this is why many of these horrible outcomes have NOTHING to do with morality or whether the shooter was a good or a bad person.

When I hear some critic casually wave off the CTE and start talking about good and evil, I just want to scream.

Why cant some people just be shitty people? Sure the injury might escalate the problem. But some people are just shitty individuals. Almost 27,000 players have played in at least 1 nfl game, I dont have exact figures but I'd say that prob 99.9% of those probably had at least 7 years player before they got in the league.

We're going to "ASSUME" probably most of those players suffered multiple unreported concussions. no one gave a **** about them until what 10-15 years ago.

Then you figure there are roughly 6000-7000 players that move on from college football annually and into the real world, you would probably ASSUME (that word again, sorry i dont have exact data) that the majority of those suffered multiple concussions in their careers.

CTE is horrible, can take you to a dark place and effect cognitive ability. But if that many people are walking around, that have probably suffered the head trauma, then how come we are not hearing daily about another former college player, or nfl player doing this.

You have hockey as high contact (maybe not like it was in the "enforcers" days), rugby has been mentioned.

Its def not something to dismiss, but i highly doubt it was the root of his personal problems. Hell if its the root cause of sociopathic behavior than it would be scary as **** to live in a big football town, alot of guys place roots where they played. Alot of killers on the street due to concussions and head drama in those towns

Back
Top Bottom