Sage Rosenfels | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sage Rosenfels

-Om-

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Couple of you were interested in my impressions of Sage over in the Derrius thread. Thought maybe I'd indulge in a separate thread for this guy, though. He deserves it ...

I wouldn’t recommend Sammy Light for an everyday support system, but for the occasional flirtation, it’s pretty righteous.

Not unlike Darryl Gardener. Hey ... many of us knew what we were getting - a rental duplex of a knucklehead looking to make hay (mixing metaphors is an art form, don’t you think?) in a contract year. And in that role, he proved quite capable. Helped solidify the middle of what had been, for about a decade, a veritable turnstile – both in terms of personnel AND performance – in the middle of the DL. Darryl did a good job; allowed the LB’s to roam a bit and make plays ... and then, after the season, bolted for more money, just as we suspected he would. Few Skins fans wanted to pony up to keep him around this year, not at the Bentley prices he was quoting, and with that back thing.

Acura maybe. Not Bentley.

Sage!

On draft day, he was purely a WTF pic. Marty Schottenheimer, so the story goes, strode (Marty doesn’t walk – he strides) up to the draft board in the 4th round, set his jaw, pointed at the name and said, “I want THAT guy.†Which caused everyone else in the room to crank their own jaws shut, shuffle their papers for a moment, surreptitiously shrug their shoulders (lest The Marty see), and respond with, “... er ... okay, coach.â€Â

Not only was Sage not on anyone’s radar, neither was taking a frickin’ QB at that point. But that’s history now.

As is Marty.

Sage showed up and quickly impressed with his aw shucks demeanor and surprising athletic ability ... albeit about as raw as any QB many of us had ever seen at this level. I attended a couple of Skins training camp practices that year, and watched him closely, and remember being pleasantly surprised with his instincts and arm strength, but rather convinced that it would be at least 3 or 4 years before he’d be ready to go against live bullets in the NFL. He was clearly a project.

That was ... what ... about 3 years ago. :)

He did nothing in Marty’s Year of 2001 on the field (okay in preseason, showed a flash or two), but DID become something of a cult figure on Skins boards. On mine in particular (www.extremeskins.com – humble moderator here, at your service) several member of his LARGE family became members of the board, and shared some amusing and endearing insights, and then we even played a huge April Fool’s joke on the board by creating a Sage account, and separate Sage Forum, where the redhead himself was gonna grace us with his presence. Didn’t last long, sadly, because a couple regulars there know better than to believe anything we tell them, the bast@rds.

Anyway, everybody loved his attitude, his strong arm, and the flashes of instinctive-looking QB we thought we had seen. And THEN, when Spurrier showed up to start 2002, on the first day of the first mini-camp, when asked about his QB’s, the coach’s first comments were that the best of the bunch that day was none other than ... Sage Rosenfels. PARTY!! People were hooked.

Bear in mind, however, during this Happy Time, the only real competition on hand was Danny Wuerffel and the just-drafted Patrick Ramsey. I know, I know ... buzzkill.

Sage did okay in preseason, showing all the same qualities we’d seen all along, but it became apparent that he had no real shot here, not after Shane Matthews was brought in. Shane and Wuerffel were both going to make the team, as was 1st round draft pick Ramsey. Getting let go here wasn’t anything Sage did wrong – or failed to do right – it was pure numbers, and the reality of a new head coach with a clear idea of what he wanted and needed on his team.

You won’t find a Skins fan anywhere who has a bad thing to say about Sage. I think he has enough tools and work ethic to last in the league a while. I’m not altogether convinced he has the juice to be a starter ... truth is, my gut tells me he’s more suited to being a solid #2 guy. In a place where the QB isn’t asked to carry the load, however, given the chance to be a “system QB†with good talent around him, and asked to simply manage the offense, he might yet develop into something beyond that.

Which is why I’m glad he’s in Miami. He can throw the deep out that Norv employs as a staple, and with Ricky Williams, certainly has a ground game to lean on. Haven’t gotten to see him handle the ball since he left here, so I don’t know if his play-action stuff is ready to sell on the Big Stage. It was NOT when I last saw him play. I don’t think Sage will ever “earn†a starters job in practice – I just don’t think he “flashes†like that. What I DO think is that, if and when he gets an opportunity in live action, he might just surprise and turn out to be a Gamer.

I don’t want him to get his shot at anyone else’s expense via injurty or anything, but I think the only way Sage Rosenfels ever becomes other than a message board hero is to get in a couple of Real Games, and show that he’s been able to polish the raw stone that he was coming into the league. Hope he gets it, because you couldn’t create a more heart-warming story if you tried.

Here’s to jewelry.

And Sammy Light.

I’m serious ... try one.

Thanks for the post, but I think Rosenfels was by far the best QB in Washington considering he had over a hundred pre-season rating that year and the other three were definitely behind.

Wow, you see Sage like I do, I live in Maryland and was one of those guys sold on him..He's a real instinctly guy on the field and I love his arm..That first preseason game against the 49er's last year had me salivating on the young man, I couldn't believe Spurrier was about to cut him, then My beloved Dolphins traded for him and I was in heaven. I actually think he could start, but he has to get some game time experience, I think he will start slow, but develope quickly..Unfortunately he can't start slow here in Miami where the fans would kill, they're not patient enough for that. But he will blossom..I still think he's a brady waiting to happen.

Good thing is that he is 25 and his birthday this year has passed. Next year he will have a real duke out for starting QB after we sign him for a long term deal off of the restricted market.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always liked sage since he has been in miami........

Preseason QB ratings don't mean a whole lot. As I recall, Ray Lucas had a heck of a high preseason QB rating in 2002. Patrick Ramsey is probably better than Sage.

I think Sage will be looked at this upcoming season. With both Fiedler and Griese likely to get the hook due to salary reasons. I have a gut feeling telling me (if Wannstedt and Norv are here) that they are going to want to see what Sage can do. It will be his third year in the same system with a team full of playmakers around him. I think that if he can show them something consistantly, then it will be his and Miami will bring in a a young rook and a veteran to back him up. However, if he continues to look raw, I suspect Fiedler or Griese to be back and Sage as the number two. Something tells me this kid is going to be good real soon though.

-om-

Welcome to FinHeaven. We've had some great input and chat with folks from New Orleans and Houston in recent weeks as we prepped to play them, and it's gonna be great having you here to chat as we approach the head to head with the 'skins.

Thanks for your insights on Sage. Gonna be interesting to see how things play out for him down the road. Personally, I don't think he's long for Miami. His contract with us is up this year, and I believe he sees himself as Norv's boy. Norv's not all that likely to be here next year, whether we do great or do poorly. Sage will want to get himself on the roster wherever Norv ends up, as arriving at that camp as the only QB with Norv's playbook embedded in his brain would be a HUGE advantage over anyone else there save a very experienced, proven and healthy veteran. Staying here to work under a new system just gets him "equalized" with whomever else is here, at best.

Again, thasnks for the input. Lookin' forward.... :)

Sage is not good enough to start. I hope we make a push for McMahon...he has an arm and very mobile...I would like him to be our future QB.

Originally posted by Prime Time
Sage is not good enough to start. I hope we make a push for McMahon...he has an arm and very mobile...I would like him to be our future QB.

PT... I smell a good "QB of the future" poll thread. Throw in Sage, Dave Garrard, Doug Johnson with McMahon and anyone else you can think of who might actually be available.

I think it would be interesting to see how many people actually think Sage will stay if Norv goes, also.

Start the polls and rack-up those points.:)

Originally posted by LeftJerseyPhin

PT... I smell a good "QB of the future" poll thread. Throw in Sage, Dave Garrard, Doug Johnson with McMahon and anyone else you can think of who might actually be available.

I think it would be interesting to see how many people actually think Sage will stay if Norv goes, also.

Start the polls and rack-up those points.:)

How many Dolphins fans have Sage seen. This was the first pre-season he was actually on the field.

I liked the pick up last year after "I peeked through the fences".

Watch him grow in Miami. I said last year: in 2 or 3 years he will be our starter. That would be next year of the year after.

One QB (Jay or Brian) will be gone next year. We won't be able to redo both contracts. Norv likes Sage. If Norv is still here next year Sage will be #2 for sure. Maybe even challenge for the starting QB.

Originally posted by FFiB

How many Dolphins fans have Sage seen. This was the first pre-season he was actually on the field.

I liked the pick up last year after "I peeked through the fences".

Watch him grow in Miami. I said last year: in 2 or 3 years he will be our starter. That would be next year of the year after.

One QB (Jay or Brian) will be gone next year. We won't be able to redo both contracts. Norv likes Sage. If Norv is still here next year Sage will be #2 for sure. Maybe even challenge for the starting QB.

I'm curious about other people's thoughts on this, FFiB.
Do you agree or disagree with my suggestion that if Norv goes, Sage will leave WITH him. And if not, why not?

Yes he will as Norv Turner will give him the best chance anywhere.

This pre-season means nothing is absolutely ridiculous. Ray Lucas was a crap example out of a bunch. Where the heck do you guys think O-Gun got his starting spot or where McMicheal proved himself. Weaver could of been back sooner, if they did not think McMicheal had not proven himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had forgotten about Doug Johnson being available. Interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing Doug Johnson back down in Florida and in a Miami uniform next year. Awww hell, look what you guys got me doing. Go Miami! BEAT THE JETS!

Back
Top Bottom