salary cap question "dead money" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

salary cap question "dead money"

canesandphins1

Starter
Reaction score
i was wondering what our salary cap position was, and the dead money that counts against our cap because i think we might need alot because the team is full of holes

Seriously, I could write a book here but suffice it to say, the Miami cap situation for 2004 is very tight and I'm being kind. There will be much discussion about this very topic very soon ;)

No, Gardener will no longer count vs cap after 2003.

"Dead cap" for 2004 is only about 100,000 but that will begin to increase dramatically once the offseason begins

clump i have a question... or anyone who can answer.

now if we release someone like Madison (as an example), do we take the cap hit THAT season, or the next (i can work a madden salary cap pretty good lol)?

if so, then miami should try to sign the players whos contracts are comming up to an extension.. release some people with fat contracts we don't need/want and take the cap hits when we don't need them.

as long as we have Taylor, Thomas, Surtain, Knight we have a pretty good core right there. we just need 1 fast OLB (ian gold is someone who looks like someone i want) another CB to replace madison (he should be released or restructure to a DECENT salary), and another saftey. offense we just need to keep who have (williams, chambers, randy) and just rebuild from their.

is that unclear? i'll simplify.

Q1: does the "Dead weight" money happen 1 season after the release, or take effect right away.?

re

thanks for the info looks like another off season of crappy players we bring in and watch all the good ones go somewhere else

i think it counts against this years cap unless u do it after june 1 then it counts against next years i think?????

Originally posted by canesandphins1
i think it counts against this years cap unless u do it after june 1 then it counts against next years i think?????

ah... well in that case i would try my plan. sign extensions for 2 years or more, then release some big names do what we can with that money this year and make a REAL superbowl run.

we may end up being f'd in a year or 2 after, but whatever... most teams don't make the playoffs after the SB anyway.

Originally posted by Blueprint_21
clump i have a question... or anyone who can answer.

now if we release someone like Madison (as an example), do we take the cap hit THAT season, or the next (i can work a madden salary cap pretty good lol)?

if so, then miami should try to sign the players whos contracts are comming up to an extension.. release some people with fat contracts we don't need/want and take the cap hits when we don't need them.

as long as we have Taylor, Thomas, Surtain, Knight we have a pretty good core right there. we just need 1 fast OLB (ian gold is someone who looks like someone i want) another CB to replace madison (he should be released or restructure to a DECENT salary), and another saftey. offense we just need to keep who have (williams, chambers, randy) and just rebuild from their.

is that unclear? i'll simplify.

Q1: does the "Dead weight" money happen 1 season after the release, or take effect right away.?

When a player is released, it depends when he's released. The key date is June 1st. If released prior to that date, then ALL remaining bonus money counts vs cap in the year of release. If released after, then only that season's bonus money counts vs the cap and ALL the rest in future yrs counts vs the next year's cap.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
There will be much discussion about this very topic very soon ;)

Indeed. Check the link I gave you earlier... right now. :)

Back
Top Bottom