Salary cap status for the whole league | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Salary cap status for the whole league

I think we can offer him around a Million and a good sign in bonus split into the last 2 seasons if he does well.

Originally posted by DolphinDevil28
See, we've got plenty to sign Sammy with! We should offer more than the reported 700k.

Umm no we don't. We have to cut someone to make room for Sammy. $2.7 million of that is tied to the rookie cap so we only effectively have roughly 500k to play with.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Umm no we don't. We have to cut someone to make room for Sammy. $2.7 million of that is tied to the rookie cap so we only effectively have roughly 500k to play with.

Well these #'s do not include Rodgers being released or traded so that's good news. We'll gain 1.8 mil when we release Rodgers, correct?

Oliver...

Wow...alot of misunderstanding about the salary cap and rookie cap.

1) Although the Dolphins rookie cap is 2.7 million, it does NOT mean all of that counts against the cap!

Only the top 51 players are counted until the season begins (and which point all 53 on the roster count)

However, ALL signing bonuses count, regardless of if the player has the highest cap number or the 73rd highest.

Therefore, most draft picks salaries will not count against the cap (unless of course, they make the team)

Case in point--Corey Jenkins will most likely receive a bonus of around $90,000. Given the standard 3 year contract, with minimum salaries. His cap number will only be 255,000.

The 51st ranked cap number on the Dolphins is currently $300,000. Therefore, only Jenkins pro rated bonus of $30,000 will count against the cap (unless of course he makes the team)

By my rough estimation, 4 rookies will crack the top 51 cap numbers when they sign.

Moore, Smith, Whitley, and Lee should all have cap numbers exceeding $300,000. However, they will bump out someone currently in the top 51--a point very few people seem to understand.

So if Eddie Moore has a cap figure of $520,000 and which puts him in the top 51, it knocks out the guy with a cap number of $300,000--a net loss of only 220,000 in cap space.

By my rough estimation, signing all of our rookies will count for only $550,000 in total cap space--as our roster stands currently.

That would leave us with 2.65 million in space to sign Knight, Griese, and whoever the hell else we want/need.

2) Trading Rodgers will cost us space--at least by my figures.

Rodgers cap situation is like this.

2003 Salary PR Bonus 2004 Salary PR Bonus
530,000 750,000 2,500,000 750,000

Trading Rodgers would eliminate his 530,000 from the books, but his 1.5 million in unamortized bonus would accelerate to this year, costing us 1.5 million in dead cap space. His current cap number is 1.28 million. A cost of $220,000 to our cap. If he is cut after June 1st, we will save $530,000 this year and have $750,000 of dead cap space next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trading a player after June 1st does not spread out the amortization, it still accelerates into the cap year of the trade.

Gracias for the correction...posting between studying is sometimes a bad idea :)

From what I read, releasing Rodgers before June 1 would save us about $250K.

What's also pathetic is Minnesota and Arizona's cap situation. Yeah, it's great to have all that room. But it just means that nobody wants to play for you. Minnesota had a boatload of room last year too.

Originally posted by Muck
What's also pathetic is Minnesota and Arizona's cap situation. Yeah, it's great to have all that room. But it just means that nobody wants to play for you. Minnesota had a boatload of room last year too.

Yah remember what they spent it on? I think people gave up on offering big time contracts for our backups lol

What the hell is with the Jets????? They've had the money but let a number of solid guys go. They must be getting ready to let Vinny go after june 1st.

The Colts are $97,000 under

good attack, no defense and no money to spend on it.

same old team. I think Manning count for 15 millions against the cap this year. Maybe they should have a QB of 5 millions and spend 10 millions on 3-4 good defensive players.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
So true :lol:

My numbers for Miami has ya $3.8 million under, but I'm probably missing some bonus info.

Since I have recently become more interested in the cap and trying to compute the Dolphin's cap numbers I quickly learned that bonus money amounts are a major piece of missing information. :) Along with additional bonuses to be paid in future years that are not reported correctly. Some reporters do not report correct information or just don't understand what they are reporting as total contract numbers and yearly salary numbers reported are different. So I have found you just have to go with the contract information that makes the most sense.

Seau's contract is a good example. John Clayton reported his total contract at 14 million over four years. The Sun Sentinel reported 15.1 million over four years and proceeds to report numbers that don't add up. I took ESPN's numbers as at least they made sense or did they maybe leave out bonuses to be paid in future years in their toal numbers?? Seems to me that without inside information one needs to follow cap and contract information for a couple of years to come close to the publicly reported cap numbers. Even then you maybe comparing your cap numbers to numbers that are also missing information. Unless Clayton is reporting the league numbers straight out of the N.Y. league office???

Back
Top Bottom