Salary cap status for the whole league | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Salary cap status for the whole league

So say Clayton is correct and we're $3.2 million under the cap right now. Rookies will cost us $550k, but if we release Rodgers after June 1 we'll get about that much back in savings (even though we'll push a chunk of his bonus into next year's cap). So we'd be back to about $3.2mil.

How large of a cap figure do you think Griese will have? How large of a cap figure do you think Knight will have? Of the amount left after we sign those two (if we actually do sign both), how much will we need to leave for injuries and emergencies? Will there be any room left for any other signings (like a surprise June 1 release that we'd have an interest in signing)?

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
As I said before...Knight, Griese...and nobody else. I only accounted for Miami holding on to 500k for emergencies...but the report had them holding onto 1.5 million.

PhinPhan1227, I think you will be correct on this. Oh well, I was hoping for a veteran FA OLT signing after June 1. I was also hoping for a solid FA WR signing, too. While I feel a bit better about our WR depth after mini-camp, I am still wary of what an injury to Dixon would do to our OL.

Originally posted by DannyNoonan

PhinPhan1227, I think you will be correct on this. Oh well, I was hoping for a veteran FA OLT signing after June 1. I was also hoping for a solid FA WR signing, too. While I feel a bit better about our WR depth after mini-camp, I am still wary of what an injury to Dixon would do to our OL.

Lol...I'm terrified of what an injury on our O-line could mean. We've got almost zero depth right now, with Ruddy, two rookies, and a practice squad player covering the whole O-line in the event a starter goes down. I've got my fingers crossed that we can stay as healthy this year as we did last year. I do feel pretty good about our recievers though. I hate that we let a couple of guys who might very well be future stars get away...but I also think that Chambers/McKnight/Thompson is a solid corp who seems to stay healthy. Until the pads go on I can't say that Tolver will provide any depth there...but beyond the first 3 recievers, I don't see anyone else getting any playing time anyway.

With the Sun Sentinel saying we are just 2.4 million under the cap, and allocating 1.5 of that for rookies, and injured players, the ONLY way the Dolphins are going to sign Knight and Griese is by cutting or restructuring someones contract. I don't have the official number as to how much we will save when we cut or trade Rodgers, but I'm not sure that will be enough.

Originally posted by Migs182005
With the Sun Sentinel saying we are just 2.4 million under the cap, and allocating 1.5 of that for rookies, and injured players, the ONLY way the Dolphins are going to sign Knight and Griese is by cutting or restructuring someones contract. I don't have the official number as to how much we will save when we cut or trade Rodgers, but I'm not sure that will be enough.

The last numbers I saw had us with a little under a million for each, and I think those numbers were pretty valid. Rogers will get cut, but I think that money will make up our 1.5 mil injury pool. We have enough for both if they stay reasonable.

First, it has been widely reported by ESPN and local Miami media that releasing or trading Rodgers before June 1 nets the team about 250,000 in cap savings. After June 1, we save 750,000 in cap space.

Second, there will be some "bump" from the rookie salaries. How much will be difficult to determine.

Third, we need to have some significant $$ available for Griese after June 1 and it's hard to say how much that will be. If he takes $3 M this year and a chunk of that is a bonus, we might get him for a cap figure of $1.5 - 2.0 M. So that leaves about $1.0 - 2.0 M in cap space (depending on the Rodgers deal), for the rookies and for Knight. It will be hard to give Knight $1.5 M this year unless we give him a significant longer term contract, which Wanny may not want to do. He might only want to give him a 2 or 3 year deal.

I doubt Griese's cap figure this year is higher than 1 million. He knows that the reason he's here is to get exposure for a better contract in 2004 with another team. Knight hopefully can be locked up to a cap friendly contract for 2-3 years.

I still don't see how we will save money on Rodgers if he's traded or cut before June 1st...he would have 1.5 million in bonus money counted toward this year. I think he'll be cut June 1st, saving 750,000.

Back
Top Bottom