Salary Cap Versus Old School And How That Affects Miami | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Salary Cap Versus Old School And How That Affects Miami

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
I must admit I'm so tired of New England's dynasty. It's certainly impressive running on almost 20 years now. It's also interesting that its the only dynasty in the salary cap era. So, in that sense the NFL got exactly what it was looking for in competitive equity.

The more I look at how the Patriots approach team-building, the more I realize that gone are the days of out-talenting the competition. I remember back to those old-school dynasties. The Dolphins from the early 70's, Pittsburgh, San Francisco and Dallas. Those teams were absolutely stacked with elite talent.

From that standpoint, I think it's hard to compare teams from pre-salary cap to now. Most teams maybe have two or three elite players and even the bad teams don't seem to be able to keep talent. I remember back to the 1974 Steelers draft. Four hall of famers from one draft: Swann, Lambert, Stallworth and Webster. Today, how many of those players could a team keep after their rookie contracts?

Which finally leads me to my point. Yes, you still want elite players. Obviously, in the best case scenario at quarterback, pass rusher, left tackle and corner. That's probably it salary-cap wise. So I really like the approach the Dolphins are currently taking. Draft and sign players who are versatile. In that way, if injuries hit the team is more prepared to handle them.

Let's be honest, the New England approach has worked. I know a lot of people will point to Tom Brady and say that's why. He's a big part of it. But Brady really doesn't have to do as much as many other quarterbacks either. He doesn't often need to carry a team the way Aaron Rodgers or Matt Stafford (when he's going good) do.

Not a knock on Brady, but we are talking about an efficient, conservative offense that doesn't challenge down the field that often. When they do, it's the mismatch with the tight ends mostly.

If you can't out-talent the opposition like Jimmy Johnson used to do, the next best approach is to out-coach them (we have no idea there yet), get versatile players etc. Maybe Miami is finally on the right track?

I must admit I'm so tired of New England's dynasty. It's certainly impressive running on almost 20 years now. It's also interesting that its the only dynasty in the salary cap era. So, in that sense the NFL got exactly what it was looking for in competitive equity.

The more I look at how the Patriots approach team-building, the more I realize that gone are the days of out-talenting the competition. I remember back to those old-school dynasties. The Dolphins from the early 70's, Pittsburgh, San Francisco and Dallas. Those teams were absolutely stacked with elite talent.

From that standpoint, I think it's hard to compare teams from pre-salary cap to now. Most teams maybe have two or three elite players and even the bad teams don't seem to be able to keep talent. I remember back to the 1974 Steelers draft. Four hall of famers from one draft: Swann, Lambert, Stallworth and Webster. Today, how many of those players could a team keep after their rookie contracts?

Which finally leads me to my point. Yes, you still want elite players. Obviously, in the best case scenario at quarterback, pass rusher, left tackle and corner. That's probably it salary-cap wise. So I really like the approach the Dolphins are currently taking. Draft and sign players who are versatile. In that way, if injuries hit the team is more prepared to handle them.

Let's be honest, the New England approach has worked. I know a lot of people will point to Tom Brady and say that's why. He's a big part of it. But Brady really doesn't have to do as much as many other quarterbacks either. He doesn't often need to carry a team the way Aaron Rodgers or Matt Stafford (when he's going good) do.

Not a knock on Brady, but we are talking about an efficient, conservative offense that doesn't challenge down the field that often. When they do, it's the mismatch with the tight ends mostly.

If you can't out-talent the opposition like Jimmy Johnson used to do, the next best approach is to out-coach them (we have no idea there yet), get versatile players etc. Maybe Miami is finally on the right track?
Interesting take. I agree with most of what you said, especially about the talent of the teams of the past. I think some of those 49ers teams, for example, would have totally outclassed the New England Patriots of this era. I think the NFL's heyday was from about 1980 until about the mid 1990's. I really think the NFL product has diminished and I fear it's still heading down. The rule changes and the way the league is officiated now, plus how free agency effects teams so much from year to year has really sapped the joy out of being an NFL fan for me. Of course being a fan of this floundering franchise doesn't help, but even if Miami was good, it still wouldn't mean as much to me now as it would have if they won a Super Bowl back when Dan Marino was playing.

Interesting take. I agree with most of what you said, especially about the talent of the teams of the past. I think some of those 49ers teams, for example, would have totally outclassed the New England Patriots of this era. I think the NFL's heyday was from about 1980 until about the mid 1990's. I really think the NFL product has diminished and I fear it's still heading down. The rule changes and the way the league is officiated now, plus how free agency effects teams so much from year to year has really sapped the joy out of being an NFL fan for me. Of course being a fan of this floundering franchise doesn't help, but even if Miami was good, it still wouldn't mean as much to me now as it would have if they won a Super Bowl back when Dan Marino was playing.
As great a coach as Bill Bellichick is, I can't see New England competing against the likes of that San Francisco dynasty or the Jimmy Johnson Cowboys dynasty. I'm not sure the Patriots would come within 17 points. But, again it's really comparing apples to oranges. Teams now can't stockpile talent the way they once could.

I also agree that the game isn't as good as it once was. I think you're spot on with your time frame. The 1980's was a fantastic era for football IMO, from the standpoint of star players and amazing teams. I think that was the best era, but also agree with you that it extended into the 1990's.

The advent of the salary cap, as well as free agency, has indeed changed the approach of team building.

It has put more of the onus on the front office to not only make the right decisions the first time around, but to make decisions that align with the philosophy of the coaching staff.

Back
Top Bottom