Sam Simmons | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sam Simmons

Fresh

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
asimmons100700-1.jpg

What do you guys think about Sam Simmons? Personally, I loved the pick last year. I think he has the potential and talent to develope into a solid slot WR. It seems like everyone including me, have almost forgot about Simmons. I'd like to see what he can do this offseason as well as in the preseason.

-Thoughts?

Sam Simmons...The forgotten man...:rolleyes:
I personnaly wasn't too crazy about the little guy...
Everybody had fairly high expectations because of his elusive quickness and good route running...A lot of fans were on the Sam Simmon bandwagon early in TC last year...Just as some are with this year's 5th rounder JR Tolver..
Sam had a chance to make his mark but was bothered by his hamstring and was very inconsistent...
With the addition of Thompson,Rogers,Tolver and Newsome he faces an uphill battle to make the PS this season :(

It was a total waste of a 5th round pick. Unless the injury bug strikes, he's a goner.

You can't totally waste a 5th round pick. Name some 5th rounders who turned out to start for several years?

Well if it has to be an exact 5th rd guy there are several, but if you want 5th and later every team just about has at least one.

2) Arturo Freeman

You're missing the point. Simmons was a MAJOR reach in the 5th round. Just as Omare Lowe was. Simmons was a 7th rounder at best, while Lowe was most likely going to be an UDFA.

Breck,
I looked up the late rounds in the 1999 and 2000 drafts...
Here are a couple that might interest you:

-Donald Driver (7th rounder 1999 Packers) :eek:
-Cecil Martin (6th rounder 1999 Eagles)
-Arturo Freeman (5th rounder 1999 Phins)
-Mike Rosenthal (5th rounder 1999 Giants)
-Charlie Rogers (5th rounder 1999 Seahawks)
-Eric Barton (5th rounder 1999 Raidaz)
-Jermaine Haley (7th rounder 1999 Phins)

-Dante Hall (5th rounder 2000 Chiefs)
-Kabeer Gbaja Biamala (5th rounder 2000 Packers)
-Troy Walters (5th rounder 2000 Vikes)
-Chad Morton (5th rounder 2000 Saints)
-Tom Brady (6th rounder 2000 Pats):eek:
-Marc Bulger(6th rounder Saints):eek:

This goes to show you that they were some steals available...
But considering the pickups of Haley and Freeman i'd be fairly happy...:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Pink_Dove
Breck,
I looked up the late rounds in the 1999 and 2000 drafts...
Here are a couple that might interest you:
-Charlie Rogers (5th rounder 1999 Seahawks)

:D

breck the nfl is full of starters 5th round and beyond.

just a few 5th rounders .
biamila pack
freeman dol
sammy mooris bills
david bowens
lechler raiders

but look at just some of these guys.
london fletcher undrafted fa
sam gash 8th round
jeff posey undrafted fa
sammy knight undrafted fa
jay fiedler undrafted fa
jay williams undrafted fa
zgonina 7th round
ogun undrafted fa ?

I wonder if some of these guys if taken in the 5th round would be called reaches? where your drafted doesn't matter its what ya do on the field that counts.

Simmons still is not good enough IMO to play for this team and amke a contribution, he did not show me anything in mini-camps etc last year. He made Dedric Ward look like Rod Smith.

Ok, but the point being is this: There isn't much skill involved in picking players in the late rounds, it's pretty much just luck. The Packers and the Phins are the only two teams who are listed there as getting a steal late twice. And the Phins' "steals" don't even start. You can't waste a 5th round pick unless you don't pick someone with it. And no one can be a real reach in the 5th round, you just grab the player you think has a lot of potential, and 80% of the time he isn't very good

Sam Simmons was picked out of desperation. We had no legitimate return man. Miami has a habit of making questionable selections in the latter rounds on ppl they could get in the 7th round...ie) Corey Jenkins.

They admitted that in the late rounds they take chances on guys that could surprise everyone but dont go for necessarily the best football players.

Unfortunately I think Simmons was one of those dudes they really took a chance on. They thought he would be an all-around utility guy, just a real athletic dude who could return punts, kicks, maybe play some slot, play as flyer on punt returns, even do kick return coverage. It turned out at least in his rookie year, that his skills were spread so thin he wasn't good enough at any one thing so as to make him worth a roster spot.

Thats why Tolver has more potential as a WR in my eyes. He was picked because its possible the dude is gonna become a pretty serviceable WR, not an all-around utility man.

The place we have the MOST trouble picking people in the draft I think is when it comes to trying to get return men. We wasted a 3rd round pick on Ben Kelly because we thought he would be electric as a return man. He wasn't. We got Jamar Fletcher in the 1st round and thought he might be able to return stuff, but he couldn't. We got Sam Simmons specifically to be a utility guy and returner, and he failed to make a good impression on returns.

Thats why I'm glad Charlie Rogers is signed and with us, because to be completely honest our return schemes historically have practically run themselves, and I'd rather get a mediocre guy who makes good decisions in terms of fair catches and letting it go, than keep drafting guys in part because of their return prowess and keep having them not be good return men OR good at whatever position they were drafted at. I'd rather sign a returner like Rogers, then get guys who we think first off, can play really well at their position, then lets get them in here and try them out at returning some punts and kicks and see if we get lucky. This is why I like Newson, he was brought onto the roster and sent to Europe because we thought he was gonna be a good WR in OG's mold, but then in Europe he ended up being an electric returner all the sudden. On the other hand we got Keith Stokes who is supposed to be an electric returner first and able to catch the ball a little too, but I dont hold much hope for his making the roster.

Back
Top Bottom