same players, new coaches= success in 2004? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

same players, new coaches= success in 2004?

Gladsadmad

Active Roster
Reaction score
If we are to believe the New England and Indy are 2 of the best teams in the NFL (which would be hard to argue) we can generally assume that the Dolphins aren't THAT bad. We all know that Miami's not a good enough team to make the critical plays to win those games, but I feel somewhat optimistic that we aren't getting whipped by these "top" teams.

The Titans game was the only one they got killed all season, but we all know that TEN played pretty much a perfect game. Any smart NFL fan knows that sometimes teams aren't on top of their game. For example, look at TENN last week..they lost to a Jet team that's playing for pride..and then they fumble 3 stinkin' punts in an absolutely critical game for the division title. Why couldn't they play like that against Miami?

If the Dolphins really needed a major overhaul..why were they a short TD from beating Indy, a missed FG from beating NE and a missed blocking assignment from at least tying NE on Sunday?

I've got through the same phases of hating and loving Jay Feidler, but the more and more I watch other QB's around the league..the more that I realize that more than half of the NFL has their own version of Feidler. I'm starting to think that an overhaul of the coaches could make Miami an elite team. An innovative and aggressive offensive mind should be all Miami needs to get over the top.

The only exception to this is the obvious..the pathetic OL. As much potential as Wade Smith may have..the Fins are trying to win a SB. They need IMMEDIATE productivity. I say draft a guard or center in 1st round, sign a decent veteran LT, trade for a guard or center, let Todd Wade (underacheiver, never improves) go in FA and sign another RT. I think if you're going to start a rookie OL, you can survive if he plays inside..but definitely NOT at the tackle position. The only survivors would be Perry (stable, smart veteran) and maybe McKinney (shows more potential than W.Smith)

That's it!..no other changes..same WR's..a better OC could use Tolver/Chambers/Thompson/McMichael better.

I do not see a new coach / GM working like WanneSpiel did and making tiny adjustments. I see a few guys (Marion, Tim Bo, Sam, Wade) leaving and making it tough for us to be a great team in 2004 especially since we need to decide if Jay or Brian are worth the money or even worth re-negotiating with... If we miss the playoffs, I expect next year to be a rebuilding year of sorts

YEAH YEAH YEAH, ITS ALWAYS SOMETHING WITH THIS TEAM AND I'M SICK OF IT.....JUST WIN!!!!!!!!!! I DON'T CARE HOW! JUST WIN!!!! NO MORE IF ANDS OR BUTS, IF YOU DON'T WIN YOU FAIL......WANNY AND CO. HAS FAILED NUMEROUS TIMES...TIME FOR THE TOTAL REVAMPING

Originally posted by Gladsadmad
If we are to believe the New England and Indy are 2 of the best teams in the NFL (which would be hard to argue) we can generally assume that the Dolphins aren't THAT bad. We all know that Miami's not a good enough team to make the critical plays to win those games, but I feel somewhat optimistic that we aren't getting whipped by these "top" teams.

The Titans game was the only one they got killed all season, but we all know that TEN played pretty much a perfect game. Any smart NFL fan knows that sometimes teams aren't on top of their game. For example, look at TENN last week..they lost to a Jet team that's playing for pride..and then they fumble 3 stinkin' punts in an absolutely critical game for the division title. Why couldn't they play like that against Miami?

If the Dolphins really needed a major overhaul..why were they a short TD from beating Indy, a missed FG from beating NE and a missed blocking assignment from at least tying NE on Sunday?

I've got through the same phases of hating and loving Jay Feidler, but the more and more I watch other QB's around the league..the more that I realize that more than half of the NFL has their own version of Feidler. I'm starting to think that an overhaul of the coaches could make Miami an elite team. An innovative and aggressive offensive mind should be all Miami needs to get over the top.

The only exception to this is the obvious..the pathetic OL. As much potential as Wade Smith may have..the Fins are trying to win a SB. They need IMMEDIATE productivity. I say draft a guard or center in 1st round, sign a decent veteran LT, trade for a guard or center, let Todd Wade (underacheiver, never improves) go in FA and sign another RT. I think if you're going to start a rookie OL, you can survive if he plays inside..but definitely NOT at the tackle position. The only survivors would be Perry (stable, smart veteran) and maybe McKinney (shows more potential than W.Smith)

That's it!..no other changes..same WR's..a better OC could use Tolver/Chambers/Thompson/McMichael better.

some of your post make sense then you end it with putting thompson in there.

he sucks and is exactly what we saw this season.
a pisspoor replacement for orande gadsden.

oline and a true second wide reciever is needed as there isn't one on the roster...sorry tolver isn't it.

and acoach that will accept none of the so called mental mistakes like mcmicheals missed block and sam madisons' second or third dumb points costing penalties he has become famous for this year last year and the year before he has consistently done his dumb a## retaliation rite in front of the ref's.
he should be benched for that crap by a coach who wouldn't put up with that.

he should be made an example of because of that. and everyone throws his way exactly whay is that? other than surtain is tops sam gets beat plain and simple.

Even if an improved coaching staff comes in, there are spots that need upgraded. The offensive line needs personel upgrades. The qb spot needs a new player, the two we have each has too many holes to perform at a top level(Fiedler flat out can't throw into a wind, and Greise is too timid).

In these days, no team in the NFL can be complete. Everyone will have a hole somewhere. Remember how everyone was talking about how bad Tampa's O-line was last year? Well, they won a Super Bowl. Jon Gruden took almost the same team Tony Dungy built and got them over the hump to win it all. This year Marvin Lewis has taken virtually the same Bengals team of 2002 (and minus their best defensive player) and turned them into a 7-6 team. Look what Bill Parcells has done with a Dallas team that was 5-11 last year. Those are just a few examples of how a coach really makes a difference. I honestly believe that while the Dolphins are certainly flawed, the right coach could take them to the Super Bowl.

This O-Line is going to get our QB/RB killed. So this is a problem that desperately needs to be addressed.

Originally posted by MacAttack
Need a QB, and O-Line.

i disagree, although we do need a QB and some Oline guys, coaching is what we lack most of all. we needa coach with some balls.

The coaching staff is the biggest problem with the Dolphins. That has to be fixed first before anything else.

"some of your post make sense then you end it with putting thompson in there.

he sucks and is exactly what we saw this season.
a pisspoor replacement for orande gadsden."

I agree that Thompson has been a complete bust. I think he should be given another chance. Miami signed him to a 3-year deal. If they cut him they'll have to take the cap hit.

Haven't you seen good coaching bring out the best in players? There are many examples of WR's who weren't supposed to be that good turn out to be decent given the right system and coaching. Look at some of the WR's are are having good seasons this year...
Justin McCareins (40-670-6td), Eddie Kennison (45-684-4td) and Steve Smith (72-914-6td). Are these the most physically talented WR's you've seen? Not to me. The coaches know how to utilize these players. They know how to create mismatches..how to call the right play at the right time...and know when to take chances downfield.

Derrius Thompson may very well end up being a waste..but he's only 25 yrs old. I say give him a chance in a better offense with better coaches.

Back
Top Bottom