Sammy Knight converted to free safety??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sammy Knight converted to free safety???

brad_bulldawg54

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I read a thing on espn.com where it was talking about the signing of antuan edwards,,,and it was saying that samy knight was being switched to free safety and antuan edwards and arturo freeman will compete for the starting strong saftey spot? now this guy might not now his dolphin stuff very well,,,but i dont believe sammy is going to free safety,,does anyone know if this is true or not?

Umm... That would be ludicrous... Want Freeman a crappy strong safety and better suited for free safety position?

Yeah I think the dude meant it the other way around. Freeman is being moved to free safety where he'll compete with Edwards.

He was considered a strong safety by many because thats where he started and played for us the entire year 2002.

With the Dolphins, he bolsters an already deep safety corps, and could contend with Arturo Freeman for the starting strong safety spot. Miami last month released veteran free safety Brock Marion and Sammy Knight, the starting strong safety in 2003, will move into that position. Edwards, who has started at both safety positions and played the nickel corner slot, also provides added flexibility.

That sounds like Sammy is going to fill the free safety void Marion left, and Edwards\Freeman are going to fight for the strong safety position.

With the Dolphins, he bolsters an already deep safety corps, and could contend with Arturo Freeman for the starting strong safety spot. Miami last month released veteran free safety Brock Marion and Sammy Knight, the starting strong safety in 2003, will move into that position. Edwards, who has started at both safety positions and played the nickel corner slot, also provides added flexibility.

That seems to be pretty clear actually. If this article is true, I think it is a mistake. More than likely, this guy has just got his facts, or words, wrong.

Originally posted by Unconquered

That sounds like Sammy is going to fill the free safety void Marion left, and Edwards\Freeman are going to fight for the strong safety position.

Beat me to it. :mad: :lol:

That cant be true can it,,,,,,sammy is way better at stuffing the runa nd coming up to the line and lord knows we dont want arturo freeman playing free safety again,,,plus we need speed at free safety thats one of the reasons we signed edwards,lol.....i just think this guy needs to study more about the team before he does a report on them,

Originally posted by brad_bulldawg54
That cant be true can it,,,,,,sammy is way better at stuffing the runa nd coming up to the line and lord knows we dont want arturo freeman playing free safety again,,,plus we need speed at free safety thats one of the reasons we signed edwards,lol.....i just think this guy needs to study more about the team before he does a report on them,

Uhm, we do want Freeman to play Free Safety. That is his more natural position and the reaosn for this thread. :tongue: What we don't want if Freeman playing STRONG safety again.

It doesn't make any sense at all. Knight will stay at SS and Freeman will stay at his NATURAL position of FS.

Ozzy rules!!

sorry samphin,,,thankyou for pointing that out,,,,i meant we dont want arturo playing strong saftey again,,,,man did he suck there,lol

The article is simply wrong...Knight at free safety...he is way to slow where would the deep help be? No, no. Edwards will compete with Freeman for the FS spot. ESPN's writer had a little mental cramp for a moment.
:hitself:

The same day ESPN posted that article the writers for the Herald and Sun-Sentinel, had it the other way round. That is Edwards would compete for the free safety spot with Freeman. I think the local beat writers are more likely to have it correct. As was pointed out elsewhere the ESPN writer was having a "moment" when he wrote his piece.

Originally posted by brad_bulldawg54
I read a thing on espn.com where it was talking about the signing of antuan edwards,,,and it was saying that samy knight was being switched to free safety and antuan edwards and arturo freeman will compete for the starting strong saftey spot? now this guy might not now his dolphin stuff very well,,,but i dont believe sammy is going to free safety,,does anyone know if this is true or not?

In our defense, the SS and FS are ALMOST the same position. In the base Defense, there is no difference. They literally are the same spot in JJ's 4-3. Sammy Knight played the FS spot all through HS in JJ's 4-3 system, ....so he is familiar with it. I'm sure if they move him it's because they are wanting him to take over making calls back there. However, I think he is much more suited to play a traditional SS role. Especially if we are going to favor a 8 man in the box scheme. I suppose even if we moved him to FS we can still roll him up and keep Arturo back if we so choose. Again, that goes back to our FS and SS basically being the same position in this scheme.

The thing that bothers me the most about a switch is that Sammy now is familiar with his SS spot and I was looking for a big year from him at SS.

Back
Top Bottom