Sammy Knight Gets INT In First Session As Phin/Arturo entering camp as the starter | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sammy Knight Gets INT In First Session As Phin/Arturo entering camp as the starter

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Sammy Knight Gets INT In First Session As Phin

Knight's strength is playing the run and making plays on the ball. He won't get to show the former until the pads come on for training camp but flashed the latter near the end of practice Tuesday, when he intercepted a tipped ball by wide receiver J.R. Tolver.

He's already in the right place at the right time.

Story on Knight

clear.gif

Always amuses me, two sides to every play I guess.

One that was particularly funny to me was this article that came out about our looking for a good returner. They talked about Baker's 91 yard punt return in NFL Europe a week ago. Our coach was quoted as saying something along the lines of even though he hasn't seen tape of the return, the good news is a big return like that can change a game and that helps a lot.

The bad news? A 91 yard punt return that didn't go for a TD means that Robert Baker caught the punt well inside the 10 yard line, which you are NOT supposed to do under any circumstances.

Same thing here. New acquisition Sammy Knight is not only showing his being in the right place at the right time but he's showing his ability to catch the ball which is something that has highlighted his career...his hands. A lot of defenders end up near tipped balls, end up gettin a ball thrown within grab's reach of them. Not all of them come up with the ball often. Even our own Sam Madison and Pat Surtain end up droppin a few that go right to them. Knight makes good catches...thats what he's good at. If only someone could like, make him fast somehow heh

Hey CK, I liked the way Knight answers the slow question.

"I led [New Orleans] in tackles every year I was there and almost every year in picks, too," Knight said. "If you guys say I'm too slow, I'm too slow for what? Too slow to tackle? Get interceptions?"

:lol:

I think its kind of amusing right now to see Arturo Freeman and Sammy Knight dig their trenches and stick to their guns over who is going to start this season I just hope it doesn't become a distraction when Knight beats out Arturo.

What I mean is even before the Knight signing Freeman was sticking to his guns (with the help of his agent Drew Rosenhaus) and Freeman was talkin about how no guy is comin in here and getting the system down fast enough to beat him for a starting job in the first year. Now if you read into it a little, Arturo's recent comments are defenses of his lack of big plays, and could even be considered veiled sleights at what Knight does. I mean Knight this year was known as a guy who takes chances on the ball but can get beaten because of his speed, just ask some Saints fans. So here Freeman is saying stuff like what good is taking chances on a ball and getting some interceptions if you get beat for 10 TDs.

Meanwhile Knight is sticking to HIS guns, the interceptions and the tackles. He's too slow to do what, make tackles? Too slow to intercept the ball or pick up fumbles? Obviously not.

Watch these guys dig in, it could get interesting but I hope they dont alienate each other because after this season you are probably looking at our starting duo for the next couple of years

Knight is being humble - I personally don't think Wanny should put Freeman as the starter going into camp - but put them as equal and let them know it's wide open.

Unless Knight falls on his face on every play in camp. he needs to be the starter. You can't substitute instincts for the ball and playmaking. I think Freeman lost his privilege as a starter by his play last year. As far as distractions - if Freeman is a man and wants this team to win - he'll take a demotion (if it happens and it should) and let it motivate him to be a better player!

Bates and Wanny have to let Knight get into position to make plays - if it means adjusting the D a bit, then do it. But don't "structure" these guys to death where they don't ever make big plays for fear of giving up a big play. You can sometimes be too cautious - you can't play scared. I think Freeman plays that way - he was afraid of giving up the big play. He made a comment to the effect, "you can't try to score 2 TD's and give up 10" - in other words, just play it safe and don't give up a big play. That also translates into the same D as last year, which was way down in turnovers. We have the players - now lets get after it! If we don't, Wanny will be gone!

Originally posted by Da 'Fins
. As far as distractions - if Freeman is a man and wants this team to win - he'll take a demotion (if it happens and it should) and let it motivate him to be a better player!

If you're a man and your wife likes another man and you want her to be happy, would you take a demotion ?
:cool:

Originally posted by Da 'Fins
Knight is being humble - I personally don't think Wanny should put Freeman as the starter going into camp - but put them as equal and let them know it's wide open.

Unless Knight falls on his face on every play in camp. he needs to be the starter. You can't substitute instincts for the ball and playmaking. I think Freeman lost his privilege as a starter by his play last year. As far as distractions - if Freeman is a man and wants this team to win - he'll take a demotion (if it happens and it should) and let it motivate him to be a better player!

Bates and Wanny have to let Knight get into position to make plays - if it means adjusting the D a bit, then do it. But don't "structure" these guys to death where they don't ever make big plays for fear of giving up a big play. You can sometimes be too cautious - you can't play scared. I think Freeman plays that way - he was afraid of giving up the big play. He made a comment to the effect, "you can't try to score 2 TD's and give up 10" - in other words, just play it safe and don't give up a big play. That also translates into the same D as last year, which was way down in turnovers. We have the players - now lets get after it! If we don't, Wanny will be gone!

I disagree.
I think you are discounting two things.
1. Last year was Freeman's first year in the system...he was learning on the job.
2. Freeman was told not to give up the big play. I think his play was a big result of his coaching. Put the blame on them too.

I think that Freeman has a chance to keep his starting position if he erases the negatives in his game.

All he has to do is make more plays.
How can he do this? Because of what I stated in #1 and #2....he has the experience in the system and can now flow within it. I think it is possible that he will be more instinctive and a better player because of this.

How much better...remains to be seen.

This is why Sammy is spending extra time studying the defense....he is trying to negate the edge that Freeman has of knowing where to be and what to do.

I like Freeman.. i dont think he did as horrible as let say ummm FLETCHER. He made good tackles and was where he needed to be. But i think Da'Fins is right.. they play to conservatively. That was our problem in MN and NE. The D played too conservative and we lost. I think Sammy Knight is an upgrade to Freeman no matter how much i like the guy. But i also believe whoever wins in out in camp should start. Damn i cant wait till those pads get on!

I think Freeman was playing out of position last year. SS and FS may be ALMOST identical for the Phins, but there ARE differences. Freeman may not get his real chance to shine until Marion leaves and he steps into that spot. Either way, I see Freeman moving back into the back-up spot where he can continue to learn the position.

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
I think Freeman was playing out of position last year. SS and FS may be ALMOST identical for the Phins, but there ARE differences. Freeman may not get his real chance to shine until Marion leaves and he steps into that spot. Either way, I see Freeman moving back into the back-up spot where he can continue to learn the position.

I completely agree. But i think Brock has at least two more good years in him.

Originally posted by FinsGoToGuy

If you're a man and your wife likes another man and you want her to be happy, would you take a demotion ?
:cool:

Well, that's a little different.

Isn't Marions contract up after this year though?

If not and he's still on our team I think we'll see a lot of rotation between the two next year..

I'm hoping Knight gets the start..I think he will..

This is a good thing. Wanny couldn't ask for more. He's getting exactly what he wanted: competition. These guys are digging their heels in. Freeman knows what's at stake. And Knight knows he has to earn the spot because that's what he agreed to coming in.

I think Wanny learned a lesson last season. Bringing Cris Carter off the street and starting him over James McKnight was a mistake. Whatever his reasons were, he acknowledged they were mistaken. You gotta make the new guy earn his place.

Now you might point to Seau and Rodgers. That's different. Freeman is in our long-term plans. Rodgers wasn't. Rodgers made a lot of money. Freeman doesn't. The last thing Wanny wants to do is disrespect/ piss off the incumbant more than he has to. A guy who is in the long-term plans. Wanny's handling of this situation is right on so many levels.

I think Knight will win the job. Being a SS means playing the run, more hitting/tackling, covering the TE. Much tougher for a 185 lb guy than a 215 lb guy who hits harder than anybody. If nothing else, Knight brings intimidation and consequence to the middle of the field.

Back
Top Bottom