Sample V.I.P. day? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sample V.I.P. day?

Gonk

Active Roster
Reaction score
Everyday it seems people are recommending the VIP forum. While I believe that the forum has quality posts in it, is it possible to have some sort of free-VIP day? I would love to see EXACTLY what the forum is all about before forking out 30+$ a year for it. Just viewing the forum (regular uses not allowed to post) would be enough.

Is this possible?

I don't think it's a bad idea in concept, but even though I have no idea of how the technology works, I think it could really screw up the servers, and I'm sure some people could hack it so that they could get in for free. Maybe do it like ESPN Insider does it so that you can only read the first page of a thread or something like that would work.

It's not easy as all that. There are at least three possible ways to do it but most have a serious drawbacks.

One possibility is to set forums as read only for a particular user group then make a special group for anyone requesting to preview the forum. If you took that approach, an admin would have to manually add then remove members of that group after a period of time. With approximately 3500 potential members who might request such access, you can see how that approach is not viable.

The second approach would be to make the forum always viewable by everyone but only postable by VIP members. IMO, if you do that a lot of the incentive to join would be gone.

The last approach would be to open the forums as read-only to all non-VIPs for a specific period of time...(1 week). This is the most reasonable approach but like the method above, a lot of the incentive to join is to get access to what is behind the VIP veil.

Trust your friends. If they think it is worth it and you trust their judgement, you should probably take the leap.

If you need one more recommendation that VIP is indeed worth the small amount you are asked to pay...I add my recommedation. It is worth it. Heck, the bonus FinHeaven merchandise you get as a VIP is worth the $36.00...the fellowship and post quality of VIP is just the icing, IMO.

The VIP Forum is great. There is a lot of informitive information there, serious conversation, and a more relaxed atmosphere. Plus you are helping the site as well. It is a win win situation, both for you, and the site.:wink: As Brother Celtkin said it is well worth the 36.00 for a year membership.:D

$36.00 a year is not much thats $3.00 a month.
like 0.69 a week.

besides the quality of the post in this forum, you also get a great kit,

Finheaven Hat
Calander
Towel.

the membership more then pays foritself.

if you do not like it, staff will cheerfully refund your money. To my knowlege, only one or two have ever exercised this option.

Gonk said:
Everyday it seems people are recommending the VIP forum. While I believe that the forum has quality posts in it, is it possible to have some sort of free-VIP day? I would love to see EXACTLY what the forum is all about before forking out 30+$ a year for it. Just viewing the forum (regular uses not allowed to post) would be enough.

Is this possible?
Agreed.

Celtkin said:
The last approach would be to open the forums as read-only to all non-VIPs for a specific period of time...(1 week). This is the most reasonable approach but like the method above, a lot of the incentive to join is to get access to what is behind the VIP veil.
IMO, this would be a very good idea. You wouldnt lose incentive to join as you would only be able to view the posts in there for a week. If you like what you saw, you would need to join.

Gonk said:

Is this possible?
I don't think there would be a problem refunding your money if you honestly thought it's not worth it.

I think it would be at least cool to let people read it for one day. Like on a sunday or something

Although I'm sure the Finheaven staff would refund my money, I'd like to see -personally- what the forum is all about before spending it in the first place. I'm not talking about permanently opening up the forum for public viewing, or even opening it for a week; only a single day where people can browse some of the threads and decide whether or not it's worth it for themselves.

I've run a vBulletin before, and it's fairly simple to do this. You just have to change the privacy settings for the forum to view only for registered members on that particular day.

I feel this would be a good way not to only show what the forum is all about, but attract more members to purchase access to the forum. It is up to the administrators, though... but I'd love for this to happen.

Gonk said:
Although I'm sure the Finheaven staff would refund my money, I'd like to see -personally- what the forum is all about before spending it in the first place. I'm not talking about permanently opening up the forum for public viewing, or even opening it for a week; only a single day where people can browse some of the threads and decide whether or not it's worth it for themselves.

I've run a vBulletin before, and it's fairly simple to do this. You just have to change the privacy settings for the forum to view only for registered members on that particular day.

I feel this would be a good way not to only show what the forum is all about, but attract more members to purchase access to the forum. It is up to the administrators, though... but I'd love for this to happen.
If we allowed the forum to be viewed, we would be going back on our word to every member who has paid already without the benefit of seeing the forum first.

this is what you see when you click on that forum and you're not a member....

Ooops...

It appears that you are not a FinHeaven VIP member, thus you cannot view the threads in this forum.

If you'd like to become a member of the FinHeaven VIP, please click here. As a FinHeaven VIP member you can enjoy many benefits that will deepen your FinHeaven experience.

For $36 a year you will receive:

* Access to the exclusive Miami Dolphins - VIP forum... where only serious Dolphin fans talk!
o This forum is only visible to FinHeaven VIP members; all other users will not be able to read any threads that are posted here!
o Long gone are the days of threads titled "Trade Ronnie Brown for Tom Brady!" as this will not be tolerated.
* Enjoy reading threads without advertisements!*
* Free FinHeaven Bumper Sticker**
* Store up to 120 Personal Messages!
* Special offers and contests for FinHeaven VIP members only!

So, if you're serious about Dolphins football, 'Go Deep!' Become a FinHeaven VIP member today!

Gonk said:

C'mon, be a mensch...sign up, and then you can start athread here saying how cool it is. :wink:

Seriously, even now with not-so-much happening it's the best forum on FH.

Other than the threads by greatwade and spray.

Back
Top Bottom