San Francisco Chronicle: Niners pick to remain mystery till Saturday | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

San Francisco Chronicle: Niners pick to remain mystery till Saturday

KuchaMucha said:
So does this means that SF won't be signing anyone b4 the draft then, eh!? Great, more uncertainty in the coming few days...What a draft. hehe.

The 49ers pick has to be signed before they make their selection.

fishypete said:
After the two Quarterbacks....and they dropped Rolle off their list. All there doing is trying to regain some control that Saban took away from them...but it's too late....they can only select one player and there's at least two teams that want different players.

What they are doing Pete is trying to force anyone that wants Edwards or Smith to have to trade up with them.

BlueFin said:
Who says Pete? They have already pretty much say thats not so.

The NFL say's so....whomever they select has to agree to a contract prior to them being selected....this is only for the first pick.

This whole thing won't affect us. I do not think that Tampa was ever a credible trading partner, however Minnesota I do believe is a credible trading partner. They've opened negotiations with the 49ers, Dolphins, and Browns, hoping to get them all to bid each other down.

But, in the end, there's no way in heck the 49ers are taking Braylon Edwards and everyone knows it, and Miami is a credible threat to take Edwards so that knocks the Browns out of the negotiations altogether.

BlueFin said:
What they are doing Pete is trying to force anyone that wants Edwards or Smith to have to trade up with them.

A smart team will just wait and see whom they select...and then trade up with the next team...so either Tampa or the vikes will get their player...the Dolphins have nothing to lose...but time.

ckparrothead said:
This whole thing won't affect us. I do not think that Tampa was ever a credible trading partner, however Minnesota I do believe is a credible trading partner. They've opened negotiations with the 49ers, Dolphins, and Browns, hoping to get them all to bid each other down.

But, in the end, there's no way in heck the 49ers are taking Braylon Edwards and everyone knows it, and Miami is a credible threat to take Edwards so that knocks the Browns out of the negotiations altogether.

I believe Tampa is credible...but not for a QB...I don't buy that for a minute...they want one of the running backs or receivers. Perhaps they knew the Vikes were going to try and trade up...so they put out a little smoke about a QB....we'll see soon enough.

Another reason the Vikes will trade up for Edwards;

Vikings | Police & Courts: WR Kelly Campbell
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:20:47 -0700

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports Minnesota Vikings WR Kelly Campbell was formally charged Monday, April 18, with receiving a stolen gun and possession of marijuana. He was previously arrested Feb. 24 after Atlanta police saw the SUV he was driving cross the center line to pass three or four cars and drive in the wrong lane. His case will be assigned to a judge in Fulton County (Ga.) Superior Court in the coming days and the arraignment will take place a week or two later.

fishypete said:
The NFL say's so....whomever they select has to agree to a contract prior to them being selected....this is only for the first pick.

Never heard of that rule...

If that's the case, how did Elway manage to make it to Denver despite Baltimore picking him? Wouldn't he have had to have a contract?

How about more recently the Rivers/Manning deal? No way Manning signed a contract with SD... and they picked him first.

I'd say there's no truth to the claim that you have to be signed to be the 1st pick.

fishypete said:

this couldn't be further from the truth...

the niners dont even have to talk contract negotiations with the players now... no player has to be signed before they are drafted... haha where did you get this info?

The reason teams picking #1 like to get the pick signed before the draft, is because once they are drafted all the leverage goes to the player and the agent and they can in turn hold out for a ridiculous contract.

Jnaledu3 said:
The 49ers are a pain in the arse lately. But I think when all is said and done, they will pick Rodgers. We will pick Smith and Cleveland will trade down.

Off topic.....I signed the petition.
Carnivale isn't coming back? I love that show.

fishypete said:

Thats not true Pete....what is your source?

Did John Elway agree to a contract with Baltimore when they selected him number one? No.

Did Eli Manning agree to a contract with San Diego when they selected him number one? No.

BlueFin said:
Thats not true Pete....what is your source?

Did John Elway agree to a contract with Baltimore when they selected him number one? No.

Did Eli Manning agree to a contract with San Diego when they selected him number one? No.

I guess I heard wrong....but this explains the real reason why;

A team with the top pick usually likes to agree to a contract prior to the draft with the player that it plans to select, as NFL rules permit. That eliminates the possibility of a contract dispute that might cause the player to report to training camp late and potentially ruin his rookie season. An on-time arrival at training camp would be particularly important to the 49ers, since they don't have a franchise quarterback on their roster and likely would want Smith to receive significant playing time next season. The 49ers went 2-14 last season and fired Dennis Erickson as their coach and Terry Donahue as their general manager, replacing them with Coach Mike Nolan and front-office chief Scot McCloughan.
The 49ers apparently are enamored of Smith's athleticism and intelligence. He had 32 touchdown passes and only four interceptions last season while leading Utah to an undefeated record.

Some NFL talent evaluators regard Rodgers as the more accurate passer and the more polished player, but there is some wariness about him league-wide because none of the former quarterbacking pupils of Cal Coach Jeff Tedford -- including Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington and Kyle Boller -- has emerged as an NFL star.

The 49ers apparently still could end up selecting Rodgers if they're unable to sign Smith. The club met with its top four draft prospects -- Smith, Rodgers, Michigan wide receiver Braylon Edwards and Miami cornerback Antrel Rolle -- last week, and has left open the possibility of trading the pick.

The team with the first pick is the only team that can do so....but as we all know....players don't have to sign early or sign at all....but does anyone think the 49ers will select a player that won't agree to a contract before they select him? Thats why the 49ers are in contract talks with the three players now....before they select him...and notice I wrote him...they only get one bite of the apple...so two bites will still be there for teams who will want them be it the Dolphins or another team.

fishypete said:
The last i heard they haven't even called Edwards agent up for talks. It's the QB's so far.

negotiations were supposed to take place last night

Back
Top Bottom