Santonio Holmes | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Santonio Holmes

FinFan57

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Just a short time ago, I would never have even considered taking Santonio Holmes with our first pick, but things have changed drastically. Assuming we sign Arrington and considering this is a deep draft, especiall for DB's (a need position), Holmes could be a strong consideration.

It appears Chad Jackson has moved to the top of the WR's pole and probably Denver traded up to #15 to draft him. That may leave Holmes dropping into our lap at #16. Although Jackson is a better physical specimen, Holmes is certainly no slouch. He is very fast and was extremely productive at Ohio State. I believe he matches up very closely to Chris Chambers with height, weight, speed, etc (which is not a bad thing).

I honestly haven't seen a great deal of film on him, so I would welcome any comments. What I have seen and read is that he has been very productive and should excel at the next level.

I really hope we give Daunte another fast target. Our O-line will no doubt continue improvement, but you can't expect miracles from Houck (this soon anyway). To stretch the field with Chambers and Holmes and have Booker and McMichael filling the middle, while Ronnie free lances would be awfully exciting and very scarey for opposing defenses. It would also take some pressure off of our developing line.

Chad Jackson scares me b/c he's such a workout warrior... he's gained so much hype from the combine meanwhile, Holmes has been consistant and I love the fact that he can take it the distance at any given time... the man going unspoken here is Sinorice Moss. Just like his brother he is lightning quick with great hands. I could live with us trading down a few spots to get a few more picks and taking S.Moss in the late first..

TractorTraylor said:
Chad Jackson scares me b/c he's such a workout warrior... he's gained so much hype from the combine meanwhile, Holmes has been consistant and I love the fact that he can take it the distance at any given time... the man going unspoken here is Sinorice Moss. Just like his brother he is lightning quick with great hands. I could live with us trading down a few spots to get a few more picks and taking S.Moss in the late first..

Just because Jackson had a good combine doesn't make him a workout warrior. His on field production was well known and he answered the one major concern, speed, at the combine. As a result he has moved to the front of the WR pack, not that he wasn't up there to begin with, many draft sites had him as a top 3 WR before the combine.

Chad Jacksons numbers in big games last year was horrible.

The guy ran up stats against Vandy and other cream puffs. Coming out of Meyers ridiculous system...it is going to take Chad 2-3 years to get usede to the pro style game.

If you go WR...Santonio Holmes is the much safer pick.

Finfan14 said:
Chad Jacksons numbers in big games last year was horrible.

The guy ran up stats against Vandy and other cream puffs. Coming out of Meyers ridiculous system...it is going to take Chad 2-3 years to get usede to the pro style game.

If you go WR...Santonio Holmes is the much safer pick.

Save it man, we've been there and done that. It will not take him 3 years to learn new routes, thats ridiculous.

Finfan14 said:
...it is going to take Chad 2-3 years to get usede to the pro style game..

We are not talking about QBs here, we are talking about a WR. 1 year AT THE MOST. For QBs, its a 2-3 year evaluation process to learn an entirely new system. A WR who takes the same amount of time to get used to a pro system must be as dumb as a wall.

There will be one more BIG factor that will have an effect on the draft. Look for the Eagles and Denver to be big players in trading for Javon Walker or Eric Moulds. This trade will get done before the draft, and that will eliminate one or both of them from the WR carousel in the first round of the draft.

FinaticalOne said:
There will be one more BIG factor that will have an effect on the draft. Look for the Eagles and Denver to be big players in trading for Javon Walker or Eric Moulds. This trade will get done before the draft, and that will eliminate one or both of them from the WR carousel in the first round of the draft.

Good point

The reason I take Holmes is he's the better deep ball WR and has played split end and can annoy make defenses respect his pesky abilities. Jackson has the tools of a #1 not really a complement, but it's not hard to make either one work. Both of their values are 15-25 so it's not much of a reach at all.

FinaticalOne said:

Ive thought about the same thing and it really makes me wonder why Miami isnt pursuing the situation. We could get a top flight talent for a low round pick. And its not like we dont have cap space to take on a decent salary... Mueller and Saban have set us up nicely here and I think they should take advantage..

FinFan57 said:
Just a short time ago, I would never have even considered taking Santonio Holmes with our first pick, but things have changed drastically. Assuming we sign Arrington and considering this is a deep draft, especiall for DB's (a need position), Holmes could be a strong consideration.

It appears Chad Jackson has moved to the top of the WR's pole and probably Denver traded up to #15 to draft him. That may leave Holmes dropping into our lap at #16. Although Jackson is a better physical specimen, Holmes is certainly no slouch. He is very fast and was extremely productive at Ohio State. I believe he matches up very closely to Chris Chambers with height, weight, speed, etc (which is not a bad thing).

I honestly haven't seen a great deal of film on him, so I would welcome any comments. What I have seen and read is that he has been very productive and should excel at the next level.

I really hope we give Daunte another fast target. Our O-line will no doubt continue improvement, but you can't expect miracles from Houck (this soon anyway). To stretch the field with Chambers and Holmes and have Booker and McMichael filling the middle, while Ronnie free lances would be awfully exciting and very scarey for opposing defenses. It would also take some pressure off of our developing line.

Holmes is the complete package at WR..and yes he has been a model of consistency at OSU from day one....

Reminds me of a Javon Walker "type" of WR.

playmaker1 said:
Holmes and Jackson won't be there when the Dolphins pick

What? How the hell do you know that?:rolleyes2

I mean comon I can understand saying Huff and Bunkley won't be there, but Jackson and Holmes. Give it a break...

The chance of that happening is very slim. Atleast one will be there...

PROJECTION:

Philadelphia Eagles
Round 1, Pick 14
Bob Leverone/TSN
Overall grade: 8.0
Position rank: 1
225lb bench: 19
NFL comparison:
Rod Smith, Broncos

CHAD JACKSON MEASURABLES
Height: 6-0 Weight: 213
40-yard dash: 4.32 10-yard dash: 1.55
20-yard shuttle: 3.97 60-yard shuttle: 11.19
Broad jump: 10-2 225-lb. bench:
3-cone drill: 6.73 Vertical jump: 38
Wonderlic: 20-yard dash: 2.52

KEY » * Recently updated Position grade increased Position grade decreased
Chad Jackson
WR, Florida

War Room analysis
Hands: Shows strong hands and excellent concentration to look the ball into his hands. Is willing to go over the middle and make tough catches in traffic. Grade: 8.1.

Patterns: Didn't run many deep routes at Florida, but has the speed to get behind NFL cornerbacks. Runs precise routes, and shows a good burst in and out of cuts. Drops weight and settles feet well on hitch and comeback routes. Grade: 8.0.

Run after catch: Turns short passes into big gains. Shows a good burst after the catch, and is a strong runner. Is at his best on underneath routes -- using his size, strength and quickness to get open and then turning on his speed to get upfield. Grade: 8.2.

Release: Shows above-average quickness and a powerful burst off the line. Has the size and strength to beat jams. Grade: 7.9.

Blocking: Has the physical tools to be an effective downfield blocker, but must improve technique and become more aggressive. Grade: 7.8.

Bottom line: Jackson has good size and deceptive speed. He is a polished receiver who has a lot of experience against elite competition. He is a borderline first-round prospect. If he runs in the 4.40-second range in pre-draft workouts, as he claims he will, he will shoot up draft boards much like the Packers' Javon Walker did in '02.

PROJECTION:

Dallas Cowboys
Round 1, Pick 18
Jay Drowns/TSN
Overall grade: 8.1
Position rank: 2
225lb bench: 18
NFL comparison:
Lee Evans, Bills

SANTONIO HOLMES MEASURABLES
Height: 5-10 Weight: 179
40-yard dash: 4.34 10-yard dash:
20-yard shuttle: 4.26 60-yard shuttle:
Broad jump: 10-6 225-lb. bench:
3-cone drill: 6.83 Vertical jump: 38
Wonderlic: 20-yard dash:

KEY » * Recently updated Position grade increased Position grade decreased
Santonio Holmes
WR, Ohio State

War Room analysis
Hands: Has good, soft hands. Must improve on catching intermediate passes. Catches passes at full speed and over his head. Makes tough catches in traffic. Lets too many balls get to his body. Grade: 8.0.

Patterns: Is an accomplished route-runner. Closes the cushion quickly, separates well. Shows terrific footwork and lower-body strength to make crisp cuts. Stops and starts quickly. Shows a great burst. Grade: 8.3.

Run after catch: Is explosive. Gets upfield immediately after the catch. Is a threat to score on every touch. Always seems to make first defender miss. Shows a second gear in the open field. Shows good vision to use blockers well. Grade: 8.3.

Release: Has a small frame. Is adept at sidestepping jams but must learn to use hands better to shed defenders. Shows great initial quickness. Won't be able to outrun NFL cornerbacks to the outside. Must become more patient. Grade: 7.9.

Blocking: Is competitive and willing to work but is limited by his size. Is stronger than he appears but has a short reach. Must use cut blocks to be effective. Must take better angles to defenders. Won't be effective cracking back against linebackers. Grade: 7.8.

Bottom line: Holmes is a constant home run threat. Although he didn't put up huge numbers in Ohio State's conservative offense, Holmes has the potential to be an NFL star. His size is sufficient, his speed is explosive and his ability is off the charts. He will need time to develop but immediately will contribute in the return game and as a No. 2 or slot receiver. He should be the first wide receiver selected.

Back
Top Bottom