Saturday Morning Camp Thoughts and Observations | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saturday Morning Camp Thoughts and Observations

Jorser

Insider
Reaction score
Spent the morning at the training facility and came away with some insight and observations. Of course it is very early and not much can be gleaned as far as player performance, but there were a few things that I thought were interesting:

. I overheard a conversation between Drew Rosenhaus and Rick. Drew basically said that the comments printed in the paper of Ogunleye’s desire to play in Chicago were blown way out of proportion and that Wale wanted to be in Miami. He sounded as if he wanted to make sure Rick wasn’t pissed or thought that he was negotiating through the media. Rick definitely was in the drivers seat. They had about a 10 minute conversation on the subject with a lot of laughing and smiling. Rick is a physically big dude and appeared very much in control in the front office and on the field today.
· Jeno James was the most impressive newcomer to me. He looks very quick on his feet, energetic, active, and in charge. He is huge and looks to me like the anchor of this new line.
· Tony Pape lined up exclusively at #3 LT. Dan Goodspeed was playing in front of him as the #2. Pape really held his own, completely engulfing the DE on a number of scrimmage plays. He showed adequate to good footwork, good drive on a few running plays, and good lateral slide when the DE took a wide move on him. He seemed much quicker and mobile that I thought he would be and his mauling style was very apparent. He may end up as the swing LT/RT reserve and they may want him to get as many reps as possible at LT. The move to guard may only be if he cannot make it at tackle, but I liked what I saw of him today.
· Jerman and St. Clair were #1 RG and RT. St. Clair looks huge as well. Didn’t get to key on him much.
· Larry Chester has lost weight, Tim Bowens found it. He looks like a house.
· Jeff Zgonina is now wearing Rob Burnett’s old #90, so I guess Burnett’s retirement is official, no surprise there.
· Snoop Minnis signed today and has definitely bulked up some. I did not get a chance to ask him how much, but he is bigger than Lamar Thomas was.
· JR Tolver is listed as the slowest receiver on the roster at a 4.7 40. He is also coming off of knee surgery. I personally think he will have a tough time making this roster.
· Sam Simmons looked very quick and active, showing no lingering effects from his knee surgery.
· David Boston is large, quick, and FAST.
· John Jones, the new TE, looks like a solid player, made a couple of really nice catches down the middle.
· Fiedler was missing easy passes today, in fairness only saw a few, but they were short simple drill routes that were off the mark, with no pass rush.
· AJ Feely will be the starter this year. There will be no controversy. His passes have so much more velocity and accuracy it is not even close. Period, end of story.
· Eddie Moore only worked in light drills and only as an offensive player in drills; he is still limping a bit. He is listed as the fastest LB.
· Met Sammy Morris. The guy is huge and looks more like a big RB than FB. Nice man. He was catching a ton of balls out of the backfield. I think he will be very involved in the offense this year and may see more playing time than Minor. He may be the one that spells Ricky more than Minor.
· I think this years Rudy is going to be Fred Russell. The guy was catching a ton of stuff out of the backfield as well, and flying around the corner, very quick. He may cost Leonard Henry his job, because Sammy Morris will be the top reserve RB. Part of this plan may be the use of Ben Moa at FB. This guy is a beast and was lining up at FB and catching passes in the flat as well. Looked like a freight train, running after the catch. He or Easlick could be the reserve FB, if Morris is viewed as the reserve HB. All of these additional backs are in preparation for the possible departure of Minor next year and to add another physical presence at the FB position.
· They finally signed a WR, must have just happened. On the roster, they listed Willie Johnson 6’4†204.
· Antuan Edwards was not as involved in the secondary drills that I was watching as much as I thought he would be. Freeman was the starting FS, and I believe Wooden was the #2. I am not sure I saw Edwards actually line up at FS once. Korey Banks was the #4 CB ahead of Poole and drew the praise of Jim Bates on one occasion that I saw. Poole looks very short.

That’s all I have for now. Enjoy!

Ben Moa is around 6-2, 254 lbs, and he has pretty impressive athleticism for a man of his size. Here is an image of him stretching out for a pass:

1599899-1.jpg

You could very well be right. They might be looking at Sammy Morris as a potential back up half back despite all the talk about getting Minor more involved in the offense. Ben Moa could make the team as a back up fullback in this case. I think Doug Easlick may be a little too one dimensional to make this team at fullback.

when you say chester lost weight and bowens found it, i thought they would be both in good shape ? :huh:

THanks so much man. You can't imagine how much these reports are appreciated by the out of town folks.

Jorser said:
· AJ Feely will be the starter this year. There will be no controversy. His passes have so much more velocity and accuracy it is not even close. Period, end of story.

I don't think anybody would be surprised that AJ has better velocity and accuracy than Jay. Unfortunately, Rob Johnson also has that over Fiedler. The key IMHO with AJ is making sure he can read the field, react, not fumble the ball, and the other non-throwing things a QB has to do well to start in this league. I really hope that he does have all these things and is the starter.

I also want to echo the thanks you have already received from others. That was a great writeup. Reading things like this makes me yearn for the start of the season.

Agua said:
THanks so much man. You can't imagine how much these reports are appreciated by the out of town folks.

Agred. Thanks Jorser :pray:

Good job. However, Minor is the backup RB, and I doubt we will keep more than 3 (unless the FO keeps Russell strictly as a returner and not a third string RB like they did last year with Rogers). You mentioned Morris, and he is the backup FB, not RB. However, thanks for the camp report.

yup good write-up

thnx for the heads up...good write-up...anything else you got would like to read

iceblizzard69 said:
Good job. However, Minor is the backup RB, and I doubt we will keep more than 3 (unless the FO keeps Russell strictly as a returner and not a third string RB like they did last year with Rogers). You mentioned Morris, and he is the backup FB, not RB. However, thanks for the camp report.

Hey Ice........Morris MAY NOT be the back up FB and MAY BE the back up RB. He is a tweener and looks to be more suited to play RB than FB. Henry is not a lock to make the regular roster. Morris is not big enough to be an effective lead blocker. There may be some juggling at the position. I know what the pre season depth charts say i.e. who is back up RB and FB, you don't need to remind me of that. You take it to the bank like it won't change? Morris gives them more flexibilty than Minor does, they just LIST him as a FB, doesn't mean squat. Greg Jerman is still listed as a tackle and he is a guard now. Minor is a free agent next year. We'll see how it shakes out. Why would they have added some of these players, UDFA's and Morris if it was so set in stone? 3 RB's - RW, Morris, and Minor, 2 FB's - RK, and Moa or Easlick....... and Russell if he shows enough as a KR, at the expense of a DB or OL is not out of the question. It's not like Minor exactly lit it up last year as our primary KR.

Feeley the starter??? lmao Starting clipboard holder maybe

Its totally too early to say that AJ Feeley is going to be the starter based on today's mini-camp....gimme a break!

Back
Top Bottom