'Say a prayer'  Barbaro hurt at Preakness | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

'Say a prayer'  Barbaro hurt at Preakness

31828-1.jpg

elmers-1.jpg

According to Yahoo Sports, these are life threatening injuries
http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/news;_y...YcB?slug=ap-barbaro-surgery&prov=ap&type=lgns

The strange thing is, I told my girlfriend before the race that for some reason I didn't have a good feeling about this one. Of course I wanted to see him pull it off, I just thought we'd see a dissappointing loss, not this. According to the surgeon... when a horse suffers this type of injury they are usually put down on the track. When they put up the green curtain yesterday people thought he would be put down...this may not be the saddest day horse racing has ever seen (Ruffian and Go for Wand come to mind), but this one is definitely up there no doubt. They said that after Ruffian had to be put down, it turned off many viewers to horse racing because they saw how cruel a sport it could be. Hopefully this won't have the same effect

bullseyeguy said:
Its hard to imagine that somethign that would be so simple to fix with humans, could mean death for a horse...

Its not really a matter of fixing it.. Humans can rest off there feet for months, horses do not have this option they must stand up and move around because of there digestive systems..

GreenMonster said:
Its not really a matter of fixing it.. Humans can rest off there feet for months, horses do not have this option they must stand up and move around because of there digestive systems..
I understand the reasons, Im just saying it would be considered fairly minor for us, but its a death sentence for a horse...Anyway, it is really sad...

Good to hear. If you ever owned a horse you would not be thinking about glue or dog food. Barbaro is a special kind of animal....hope he fully recovers and can produce Barbaro Jr.'s. :tongue:

Amazing that even after a successful surgery that he's still only 50-50 of surviving. What graceful, majestic but very delicate animals horses are

I know I'm going to be called insensitive here. In all seriousness, why is the health of this animal at the top of the sports news world? Animals worldwide die every day. Horses I'm sure break their legs and are euthanized on the spot at tracks all the time. I watch the Triple Crown as a casual observer, but I really couldn't care less about the health of this horse. Do that many people really care? It sucks that he got hurt, but the media coverage is ridiculous.

i'm in the same boat...its just a horse :shrugs:

cnc66 said:

:sidelol: Fantastic! If I had a "post of the day" award, you'd get it.

If you couldn't tell, I'm not exactly taking the news that a horse has a busted leg all that seriously. If one wants to rage about the cruelty and inhumanity of a sport, why not begin with boxing, where brain damage to people (you know, those mammals atop the food chain) is commonplace? Or football, where the life expectancy of players is significantly shortened by all manner of injuries, weight gain and other things? (Mind you, I'm totally okay with these things; just pointing out that cruelty to athletes isn't limited to horse racing...not by a long shot.)

The last few posts in here are obviously not from Horse racing fans.

I can tell you that Horse Racing fans would be offended by your tone. Horses are selfless animals, it is always a sad day when one is hurt.

I agree 126. The sad thing is these aren't 60 year old boxers with Parkinson's and brain damage from taking constant hits...this is a 3 year old colt who could die over a broken ankle. May never have a chance to breed or anything like that. I can't imagine myself being about 18-19 or so and having to die because I broke my ankle

I heard the reason its like threating is because there is hardly any blood that goes down to thier feet. Infection can happen because of this. The horse also has to distribute 1200lbs on 4 skinny feets and if it going to breed it defenatly needs 2 strong hind legs. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

Back
Top Bottom