Schefter: Miami's coaching search hotter than summer | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Schefter: Miami's coaching search hotter than summer

He says that Mike Tomlin has impressed the Dolphins and Steelers. I wonder about that, really. I love that he tutored under Monte Kiffin for five years and that he's not beholden to the cover two...but honestly, his mixed bag of coverages just didn't work for the Vikings, either.

It'd be one thing if it looked like Tomlin's Tampa Two that mixes up all the different other coverages worked really well for Minnesota...but they didn't. They had the worse pass D in the NFL, arguably.
Arguably? Joey Harrington shredded them. That says a lot about your pass D, especially with some of the talent they had in the secondary.

Indeed that stuff scares me, but still, look at Green Bay.
They hired McCarthy, who coached arguably the worst offense in the leage last year in San Fran and they made some strides this year.

Not exactly an endorsement, but I think we could certainly do alot worse.
theres a big defense going from a Rookie qb to a first ballot hall of famer QB.

He says that Mike Tomlin has impressed the Dolphins and Steelers. I wonder about that, really. I love that he tutored under Monte Kiffin for five years and that he's not beholden to the cover two...but honestly, his mixed bag of coverages just didn't work for the Vikings, either.

It'd be one thing if it looked like Tomlin's Tampa Two that mixes up all the different other coverages worked really well for Minnesota...but they didn't. They had the worse pass D in the NFL, arguably.

I don't know if I would say that his mixing up of the coverages didn't work. Minnesota's pass defense did rank second to last in the NFL in passing yards allowed. However, they also had more pass attempts against them than any other team in the NFL. They also were 15th in the NFL in yards per pass play allowed, had the 5th most interceptions in the league, and allowed the 4th least passing touchdowns in the NFL. They allowed a touchdown on only 2.5% of the passing attempts against them....and that's with a Fred Smoot that underachieved very badly this season.

Personally, I love the fact that he adapted his scheme to the talent he had on defense. He knew that the personnel he had wouldn't work well in the Tampa 2, so he didn't try to force it on them. That's a big plus for him in my book. He mixed up a lot of things in that defense, and he even ran some 3-4 fronts to take advantage of Ben Leber's pass rushing skills.

for a so-called expert you missed the boat on this one

if you look more closely their pass defense was middle of the pack, not the worst

Really uncalled for. I've never seen CK claim to be an expert and I've been here a long time. He can be wrong, but he is a good contributor and a thoughtful poster.

You can make your point fine without calling anyone out.

For the record, and I am certainly no expert, according to ESPN, Minnesota is tied for the worst pass defense (based on yards allowed) in the NFL. Though, as noted above. They did have the most attempts against them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=teampass&pos=def&league=nfl&year=2006&season=2

CK one of the newspapers down here said that Wayne was really impressed by Tomlin in their interview. And it appears that he will be one of the coaches who will be getting a second interview...

Tomlin hasnt had many years in Minny to really put his fingerprint on the defense entirely. He did make that front 7 pretty damn good while losing their best draft pick to injury.

I think Tomlin could be a great fit and would work in the early going if we keep Dom Capers as DC. That way, Tomlin would not transform the defense much in the early going and concentrate on our offense.

The thing i like about Tomlin is he is young and is/will be HC material and you can manipulate him a little early on while he is wet behind the ears so to speak. Which is what this organization is looking for. Then Tomlin developes his HC skills and becomes a long term solution (like Cowher) IMO.

I think alot of players would love to play for a guy like this and keep our star players here.

Tomlin hasnt had many years in Minny to really put his fingerprint on the defense entirely. He did make that front 7 pretty damn good while losing their best draft pick to injury.

I think Tomlin could be a great fit and would work in the early going if we keep Dom Capers as DC. That way, Tomlin would not transform the defense much in the early going and concentrate on our offense.

The thing i like about Tomlin is he is young and is/will be HC material and you can manipulate him a little early on while he is wet behind the ears so to speak. Which is what this organization is looking for. Then Tomlin developes his HC skills and becomes a long term solution (like Cowher) IMO.

I think alot of players would love to play for a guy like this and keep our star players here.

Young doesn't mean good, it just means young. I hope we are looking for the best, not the youngest.

Back
Top Bottom