Scouting The College QB's | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Scouting The College QB's

miamirw

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Watching Kyle Orton for the first time against a very bad Northwestern team and he looks awful. Couple interceptions and he's just been benched - though in fairness to Orton they say he's got a slight hip problem.

This guy is not a first round QB in my opinion. Maybe it's just one bad game, but the other thing they were saying about him is that he hardly ever throws deep. It's mainly short slants and screens and quick hitches or outs which allow the receivers to gain much of the yardage. Can anyone confirm this?

We'll get another chance to see Aaron Rodgers later tonight when Cal plays Arizona state. Other thatn Rodger and Leinert though, I don't see a top ten let alone first round pick out there.

Orton got benched for poor play against the 86th ranked pass defense. He is like 15 for 38 for 160 and change with a TD, INT, and Fumble. There is definately something off but you have to be able to play through the pain in the NFL. They just reported it was a hip pointer.

Is it really windy or has this kicking just been horrible?

And yes, Orton is looking really bad against this D. It seems he's cooled down after the past couple games.

Hackney is the future :) ....well actually I have no clue who is good or isnt I have to wait for the combine to get a feel for who I like... but that Hackney Kid did impress me with his arm strength and Fullback like running style :eek:

You happened to see him in his worst game. I still think this guy is a good QB. There are a few guys I would take ahead of him, but I still think he will be a fine QB.

He wasnt benched for poor play, he was benched because Tiller was changing game stratagies. The wind was horrible today and passing was tough so they put in the other QB that is a better runner than Orton. He didnt look good today by any means though, but he is still a good QB.

I also really dont think a whole lot of the college stats and stuff go into choosing a QB, I think its a lot of what they do at the combine, I know that college stats have some to do with it, but the combine is where you really get to make a name for yourself.

I disagree with Leinhart. He is a good college quarterback, I honestly don't see him as a top 10 pick, or even a first round pick. I like Jason White, personally. I mean, if you look at value, the guy can be had for a middle round pick. He's never mentioned about Quarterbacks coming out, but he is a winner, he is passionate about the game, he's a leader, he's smart, got a good arm, and still, after the ACL injuries, is more mobile then Feeley. I feel that we use our first, to trade down, stock up on picks, and load up. With extra picks, we get a QB. If Orton continues to stuggle, who knows where he will drop to. He is still a good qb. Going 17 TD's to 0 INT's is not luck. We have to be ready in all rounds, for value picks, because this team has a lot of holes due to horrible drafting. You look at impact draft picks over the past 4 years, and I see Mcmicheal, Chambers, Greenwood, and that's it. That's sad, really sad.

zeke0123 said:
Hackney is the future :) ....well actually I have no clue who is good or isnt I have to wait for the combine to get a feel for who I like... but that Hackney Kid did impress me with his arm strength and Fullback like running style :eek:

Looks good i think but he gets hurt alot

prob cause he thinks hes a mack truck
he jsut runs into people

he got a gun to

pretty acurate for a huge guy

Yeah, Orton looked horrible today. Even if they took him out bc of switching game strategies, it doesn't say much for him that Tiller didn't put him back in on the final drive when all they needed was a FG. I used to be high on the kid, but now he's off my list. He hasn't played well the past three or four games. (at least not as well as earlier this year)

Three games ago Orton was one of the front runners for the heisman, and now he's been benched because of wind?!?! I really dont wanna hear the "changing game plan" reason. If you are a great QB which is what some think Orton is, you are NEVER pulled out of a game. Now I know Ill hear the "hip pointer" excuse, but thats just what it is an excuse. Do you really want a QB that cant play through pain? Come on the NFL is all about playing through pain. This wasnt Orton's 1st bad game either, he hasnt looked very good in their last 3 games. By the way he only through for 130 yards, 1TD, 1INT, and 1 fumble. Thats Fiedler type numbers against the 86th ranked pass defense in division 1.

Phinsdude said:
I disagree with Leinhart. He is a good college quarterback, I honestly don't see him as a top 10 pick, or even a first round pick. I like Jason White, personally. I mean, if you look at value, the guy can be had for a middle round pick. He's never mentioned about Quarterbacks coming out, but he is a winner, he is passionate about the game, he's a leader, he's smart, got a good arm, and still, after the ACL injuries, is more mobile then Feeley. I feel that we use our first, to trade down, stock up on picks, and load up. With extra picks, we get a QB. If Orton continues to stuggle, who knows where he will drop to. He is still a good qb. Going 17 TD's to 0 INT's is not luck. We have to be ready in all rounds, for value picks, because this team has a lot of holes due to horrible drafting. You look at impact draft picks over the past 4 years, and I see Mcmicheal, Chambers, Greenwood, and that's it. That's sad, really sad.
I still think Leinart is a good QB. I don't think he will be picked before Rogers, but Leinert is a VERY accurate QB who will win games. He may not have great arm strength, or great athleticism, but he can move the ball. He is too accurate not to go in round 1, and will probably be a top 10 pick. I definitely don't want Miami to pick White. He is another good college QB in a great system that won't make it in the NFL. White will proably go in the late rounds, but only because of his success in college, much like Josh Hyupel.

Sleeper: Stefan Lafors of Lousiville. Has played great all season but really showed up to play a UM team which is as close to playing an NFl team as you can in college football. He is short (6'0") but showed that his height wasnt a factor throwing over UM's tall offensive line.

Fins2theend said:
Three games ago Orton was one of the front runners for the heisman, and now he's been benched because of wind?!?! I really dont wanna hear the "changing game plan" reason. If you are a great QB which is what some think Orton is, you are NEVER pulled out of a game. Now I know Ill hear the "hip pointer" excuse, but thats just what it is an excuse. Do you really want a QB that cant play through pain? Come on the NFL is all about playing through pain. This wasnt Orton's 1st bad game either, he hasnt looked very good in their last 3 games. By the way he only through for 130 yards, 1TD, 1INT, and 1 fumble. Thats Fiedler type numbers against the 86th ranked pass defense in division 1.
Not defending the guy, but they had the same wind we had here last night and it was wicked. My Iowa hawks played Ill. today and the wind was bad there also, one punt in the hawk game was 80 yards.

I think White is much better the Josh Heupal, much better. Also, I think he can be a good QB, because he's got good arm strength, and got the intangibles. I also say my fav QB coming out is Lefors. I like the kid, and I like his backround. He's a guy I would love to draft.

PS, there are some good RB's coming out next year. Maybe not even first, though Cedric Benson is my favorite back, but there are some good backs. Last thing, How nice would it be to see Adrien Peterson be able to come out, and we get a shot at him. Oh well, Nice thought. The dude is sick.

Back
Top Bottom