Scouts Inc Weighs in on Dolphins NEEDs..Ruddy to blame? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Scouts Inc Weighs in on Dolphins NEEDs..Ruddy to blame?

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
I will have to paraphrase most of the stuff...for legal reasons of course, but I will give ONE section as a quote because it was definitely insightful.

Quarterback: Jay Fiedler given every opportunity to bring team to next level, hasn't delivered. Steady system QB that has failed to produce big plays anywhere even close to what we saw with Marino. Griese signed for depth and motivation to Fiedler, but basically both fell flat on their faces. Of two, one is likely to return, Phins wouldnt mind cutting both but cap hit too big. Sage is nothing more than a #3 QB. Feeley would change things, but expect phins to take a look at what available in draft and FA.

Here's the section i'm quoting...

Starter Tim Ruddy is getting old and starting to get pushed around. Backup Seth McKinney has at times appeared capable of taking on a starter role, but he also easily could move to backup guard if the Dolphins grab a stud center. Because running back Ricky Williams is a cutback runner who needs a seal on the backside from his center, this position is more important for Miami than it would be for many other teams. Ruddy no longer has the range to get to his spots, and his decline, combined with the underachieving play of the rest of the interior line, was main reason the Dolphins' entire cutback running game suffered last season. It also is Exhibit A in the case for making center a high priority on the offseason wish list.

Wire Receiver: High praise for Chris Chambers in here but mainly goes on about how we need a second WR to keep teams honest on Chambers and that simple addition will "really open things up" They say that Derrius Thompson's skills are tremendous and "could still develop" but he had a bad season, but overall we should probably be able to get a #3 from the group we have (DT, JRT, Sam)

Guard: Perry showed age, Nails not playing same since Achilles. Whitley talented but progressing slow. McKinney can play Guard but doesnt fill need for stud to get push off the line. At best we get a new starter in FA/Draft, worst we just find a solid #3 to groom behind Perry-Nails. (my note: obviously since we cut Perry, and Nails is a UFA...the former is more likely)

OT: Team wants Wade back but might be too difficult given cap. Wade Smith should be solid after lots of experience as a rookie, but not suited for Left Tackle, so team would like to find someone more athletic to play left so they can move Smith to right tackle. Even if they did that depth is a problem, so the Phins will be signing TWO tackles this offseason (my note: i dont know what they are talking about with Smith its hard to get more athletic than Smith...though I do agree with moving him to RT for the moment).

"Tim Ruddy is getting old and starting to get pushed around"?!?!??

He's BEEN getting knocked on his butt for years.

Seth McKinney being a backup again w/b a major disappointment and make him almost as big a bust as Fletcher IMO. Compare him to Wade or Ruddy that started basically every game since they were drafted

Well, I don't think Ruddy took over until his second season. Who'd we have back then? Jeff Dellenbach?

[Edit to include the following:] or was it that Uhlenke (sp?) guy? One of 'em was a DL the other the C.

I agree. McKinney has been getting praised for two plus years now. He needs to be put in a starting position to see what we have. If he is succseful, we know we have someone to hold onto. If not, at least weknow who we need to cut ties with and move on from there. A backup role just leaves him as a question mark. We need a definitive answer if you ask me.

I was ok with it until the suggestion about moving Wade Smith to RT. Someone will have to explain how that makes any sense. The LT is the one that has to be quick and the RT has to be big and strong. The RT is much more of a run blocker.

Smith is quick, but its pretty clear he needs to do a lot of work in the weight room. As far as I can tell, the only position he can really play is LT.

yeah W Smith is closer to playing TE than playing RT

Originally posted by dolphan39
Seth McKinney being a backup again w/b a major disappointment and make him almost as big a bust as Fletcher IMO. Compare him to Wade or Ruddy that started basically every game since they were drafted

I wouldn't cry about it if we got two starting guards and Jake Grove. ;) Taylor Whitley could be that other starter if he's ready.

Originally posted by Agua
Well, I don't think Ruddy took over until his second season. Who'd we have back then? Jeff Dellenbach?

Yup, it was Dellenbach. Year Two.

Originally posted by Muck

I wouldn't cry about it if we got two starting guards and Jake Grove. ;) Taylor Whitley could be that other starter if he's ready.

Muck, you are always such an optimist. Everytime I think that there is no way that something positive is happening I always read your posts.

:)

check out the first clip in this thread....link .....It's a good example of Ruddy not being able to seal off the backside.....and this was the FIRST game of the season!

Originally posted by PhinKev

Muck, you are always such an optimist. Everytime I think that there is no way that something positive is happening I always read your posts.

It's part of the game plan. His first ten quotes are scripted.:lol:

Originally posted by PhinKev

Thanks. Glad I could be of service. :)

Originally posted by themole
It's part of the game plan. His first ten quotes are scripted.:lol:

I went to the Bill Walsh School of Posting. ;)

Originally posted by Muck

Thanks. Glad I could be of service. :)

I went to the Bill Walsh School of Posting. ;)

I thought you went to the Stuart Smalley school of posting.
[Muck looks at self with mirror in hand]
I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and dog-gone it, people like me.
:D

Originally posted by Agua

[Edit to include the following:] or was it that Uhlenke (sp?) guy? One of 'em was a DL the other the C.

They were both centers. Jeff Uhlenhake was iirc a 5th rounder in 89 and he started for about 3 years. Delly took over I think, when Dwight first got hurt, gave way to Uhlenhake, and then moved back to C when Jeff U left, as iirc, a free agent.
In MY opinion both were better than Ruddy.

Originally posted by ckparrothead

Wire Receiver: High praise for Chris Chambers in here but mainly goes on about how we need a second WR to keep teams honest on Chambers and that simple addition will "really open things up" They say that Derrius Thompson's skills are tremendous and "could still develop" but he had a bad season, but overall we should probably be able to get a #3 from the group we have (DT, JRT, Sam)

We can open things up for Chambers if we can get Mcmichael into the passing game. The problem we ran into last season is that we needed to keep him in to block. IMO a wr and a te in the passing game is harder for D to account for than 2 wrs. 2 wrs can be controlled with a cover 2 shell. You can't do that with a wr and a te. So the key to freeing up Chambers is to get the OL solid enough that we can send Mcmichael out. (before anybody says anything, this year's OL problems will be fixed in FA or not at all)

By the way, I agree that the center is the key to the running game. I hadn't really thought about the back side seal and how it affected the cut back lanes, but I do think you need a center that can make blocks on the second level.

Back
Top Bottom