Scouts Inc Weighs in on Dolphins NEEDs..Ruddy to blame? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Scouts Inc Weighs in on Dolphins NEEDs..Ruddy to blame?

Quarterback: Jay Fiedler given every opportunity to bring team to next level, hasn't delivered. Steady system QB that has failed to produce big plays anywhere even close to what we saw with Marino. Griese signed for depth and motivation to Fiedler, but basically both fell flat on their faces. Of two, one is likely to return, Phins wouldnt mind cutting both but cap hit too big. Sage is nothing more than a #3 QB. Feeley would change things, but expect phins to take a look at what available in draft and FA.

I agree with the comments in BOLD about our QB's.

I was ok with it until the suggestion about moving Wade Smith to RT. Someone will have to explain how that makes any sense. The LT is the one that has to be quick and the RT has to be big and strong. The RT is much more of a run blocker.

Smith is quick, but its pretty clear he needs to do a lot of work in the weight room. As far as I can tell, the only position he can really play is LT.

I see your logic but there's a couple of notes. First off, strength in this issue needs to be qualified. There is upper body strength, and then there is leg drive. Wade Smith has very good leg drive for a rookie. Its what makes him fast, and have you seen him beaten by a bull rush? Because I haven't...and I scoured a good amount of footage of him going up against Hugh Douglas during the preseason. Leg drive would help a Wade Smith be an adequate run blocker on the right side. The other side of the equation is upper body strength, which he lacks pretty severely if I'm not mistaken. This affects your ability to get in a good hand punch and to control edge rushers with your arm strength. It would also hurt his ability to run block on the right side but he could make up for that somewhat with his leg drive, but on the left side I personally don't think there's any substitution for wing span, and upper body strength to get a good punch...I mean his superb mobility helps make up for that, but doesn't do it the full way, and as far as positions of importance, I'd rather have a guy who is most definitely NOT a question mark at LT than have a dominant run blocker at RT. LT is a position of considerable importance because of fumbles. If a RT, RG, C, or LG lets in a rusher the QB sees him and tucks the ball. If a LT lets in a rusher unnoticed by the QB, the ball is as good as on the ground (see Indy game). Until Smith adds the muscle he needs to be a good LT, I would entrust him to RT where the passrush is more bullrush oriented (which he's equipped to handle) and where he could work on his ability to run block.

Overall I'm not so sure as the rest of you that Smith will magically be so much better this year because of his experiences as a rookie. He's still got physical limitations. You don't build an NFL frame of muscle in one year, and you don't learn the tackle position in only like, 2 or 3 years (he played TE a lot of his college time). He also isn't getting any taller...he's 6'4" and thats on the short end for LTs. Mark Dixon is 6'3" and got knocked for his height (for good reason he was one of only two LTs listed at 6'3" or below in the league at the time)

This is the second time I've seen a professional football scout or personnel man say that Wade Smith would be most suited for right tackle, at least in the short run...and not for nothin but I've not seen any personnel man shoot down the notion. He's not the prototypical RT I agree, but that doesn't mean it would be crazy to move him there. It might be more crazy to entrust like one of the top 3 or 4 positions of the offense to a second year guy who got abused a lot of times as a rookie...just assuming that he'll be better without waiting first for him to give you good reason to make that assumption.

I think Smith will be better this year b/c IMO last year he was beaten due to technique errors not physical limitations. I think the experience will help correct those. He also seems to have the right temperment to learn from his mistakes and improve.

I don't think its that easy. Down the stretch he was still being beaten, and that was after having 13 or 14 games under his belt to get him prepared.

If he's still going to be the same guy he was by week 17 he's still not good enough. Technique was always considered a strength for him, so I think physical limitations definitely came into play.

Originally posted by phibnsfan1221
Stevenson was great dammLyons that jet

Hey, Marty Lyons was none to happy about that tragedy either. They were old friends.

BTW McKinney was just a 3rd round pick. We only think of him so highly because he was our first pick in that particular draft but calling him a bust like Jamar is like saying Travis Minor is a bust because he's not a starting RB.

I honestly think McKinney is right about where we could have expected for a 3rd round pick...but I still hold out hope that he turns out better than that.

Originally posted by ckparrothead

I see your logic but there's a couple of notes. First off, strength in this issue needs to be qualified. There is upper body strength, and then there is leg drive. Wade Smith has very good leg drive for a rookie. Its what makes him fast, and have you seen him beaten by a bull rush?

I really can't argue with any of what you said, though I would like too :D

The only thought I have is that I'd still rather have a stronger guy at RT. I can't say that I saw anyone bull rush Wade, and I have thought about it, but I can't really say I saw Wade moving anyone either.

Maybe he should be on the bench until he gets stronger.

Maybe but I think he could be an asset anywhere he lines up on the field because he would be a pretty darn good RT as far as pass protection goes. We could even consider moving him to LG ya know...he'd be a natural there I think. Kinda like a Jeno James. Smith was originally considered a G/T prospect. Guard for most teams, tackle for the more desperate ones (and we were one of the more desperate ones).

The problem is I think McIntosh and Deese are the only LT prospects out there and neither is really that great IMO.

Maybe but I think he could be an asset anywhere he lines up on the field because he would be a pretty darn good RT as far as pass protection goes. We could even consider moving him to LG ya know...he'd be a natural there I think. Kinda like a Jeno James. Smith was originally considered a G/T prospect. Guard for most teams, tackle for the more desperate ones (and we were one of the more desperate ones).

The problem is I think McIntosh and Deese are the only LT prospects out there and neither is really that great IMO.

So basically we are back to where we started which is with Wade at LT by default and a lot of prayers that he will improve.

Got to have a better front office startegy than that.

Originally posted by PhinKev

So basically we are back to where we started which is with Wade at LT by default and a lot of prayers that he will improve.

Our OL could go either way but there's no doubt it won't be great. All we can hope for is it's better than last years. I've read that Feeley has a quick release, I believe Jaws said that. I think we'll get Woody or a decent FA OL man but we're going to see Wanny hype up Dario Romaro and Jerman as improving linemen ready to take the next step.

Yeah pretty much. It would be one thing if Chad Clifton was not franchised. Scouts Inc thinks Tait should move to LT and calls it his more natural position...but I have my doubts and besides he's been transition tagged so it'd be tough to pry him away. We just gotta hope Smith is ready

I don't think its that easy. Down the stretch he was still being beaten, and that was after having 13 or 14 games under his belt to get him prepared.

If he's still going to be the same guy he was by week 17 he's still not good enough. Technique was always considered a strength for him, so I think physical limitations definitely came into play.

Miami's OL coach was quoted after the season that "everybody says that Smith needs to get stronger, but he was beaten on technical mistakes, not strength". I'm paraphrasing, but it is what I saw too, so I obviously think he's right. As for the wingspan thing, sure if he was bigger it wouldn't hurt, but my impression was that when he was beaten it was b/c he failed to move his feet.

Back
Top Bottom