Season ending collapses

Capt. Dick

Deep Sea Wanderer
Joined
Feb 23, 2002
Messages
2,383
Reaction score
0
Location
Akron zoo
This is something we`re concerned with every year. It`s obviously a pattern that needs fixed.............but how?

Do we train too long and hard in the S. Fla. heat?

Is the problem psychological? Do our players expect it?

Do we need to rotate players more often?

thoughts?
 

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Joined
Sep 4, 2001
Messages
13,973
Reaction score
2
Age
57
Location
CT
the running game - a consistent, effective running will end late season collapses
 

GazPhin

Brannigan Begin Again
Joined
Feb 11, 2002
Messages
1,166
Reaction score
0
Location
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Good thread Capt.

I think Wanny himself has recognised the fact that it may have something to do with the intensity of the training camps. We don't need other teams beating up on us during the regular season because we do it to ourselves in camp and in training.:rolleyes:
 

dolfan87

The Human Bullet
Joined
Sep 2, 2001
Messages
3,770
Reaction score
1
Age
48
Location
Arizona
If the training camp theory were true, then we would come out of the gate flat.

We don't.

What happens is, we lose our advantage in the cold weather, plus we always seem to lose a couple key players to injury at the end of the year.

Besides, 39 is correct, when was the last time we had a solid effective running game? Lamar did a great job in 2000, but he was wasted for the Raider game after Indy...if he were fresh, who knows.
 

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Joined
Sep 4, 2001
Messages
13,973
Reaction score
2
Age
57
Location
CT
Originally posted by dolfan87
Besides, 39 is correct, when was the last time we had a solid effective running game? Lamar did a great job in 2000, but he was wasted for the Raider game after Indy...if he were fresh, who knows.
exactly, we need to have an effective running game, i.e. 100yards plus every game not just most of the time
 
J

jd13

i believe that we wear down because of the heat and not having a great running game...also we always have our bye week early in the year for some reason,this year we have it in week 8...that is the latest we have had it since 1994...with the new scheduleing format, every team gets its bye week from week 3 to week 10 so considering we got ours in week 8 we are in pretty good shape...the pats got there bye on week 16 last year...now if we can only get a bye week for the playoffs it would help us immensely...
 

GazPhin

Brannigan Begin Again
Joined
Feb 11, 2002
Messages
1,166
Reaction score
0
Location
Hampshire, United Kingdom
I buy the suggestion that it's because we have no running game...

...to an extent. Bad Decembers are not the sole preserve of the post Marino era (Dating this coming season as 3AD or after Dan :) ). But we have had bad Decembers all the while we have been looking for a running game.

Training ethic-wise I believe they pre-date the current head coach aswell.

Need some research on who we've played and lost to in December but as I recall, we've even lost to the Jests in December in Miami (I was there a few years back when it occurred) so it's not all about cold weather road games either.
 

dolfan06

Super Donator
Finheaven VIP
Joined
Sep 2, 2001
Messages
13,273
Reaction score
154
Age
74
Location
FayettevilleArkansas
no running game may be part of it!

but you don't let the opposing team have 90-95 yd drives, then shut em out the next week. there has got to be a mental lapse by the defense, maybe a psychiatrist in training camp is in order!:D :lol:
 

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Joined
Sep 4, 2001
Messages
13,973
Reaction score
2
Age
57
Location
CT
Re: no running game may be part of it!

Originally posted by dolfan06
but you don't let the opposing team have 90-95 yd drives, then shut em out the next week. there has got to be a mental lapse by the defense, maybe a psychiatrist in training camp is in order!:D :lol:
we could hire JJ part-time as our team pyschologist :goof:
 

Predaphin

Predator in the Water
Joined
Oct 15, 2001
Messages
12,486
Reaction score
10
Age
41
Location
In the water
Re: Re: Season ending collapses

Originally posted by dolphan39
the running game - a consistent, effective running will end late season collapses


Lamar Smith stomped on the colts in the playoffs only to be sore against the faiders the week after.
 

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Joined
Sep 4, 2001
Messages
13,973
Reaction score
2
Age
57
Location
CT
Re: Re: Re: Season ending collapses

Originally posted by WCoastFin




Lamar Smith stomped on the colts in the playoffs only to be sore against the faiders the week after.
like I said - consistent - we should be able to put Minor in there and have him get yards like the Ravens did to us last year.
 

phins054

Pitbull
Joined
Feb 21, 2002
Messages
607
Reaction score
0
I remember all types of loses in second halves of seasons. Ones where Dan would throw for 400 yds and 4 TDs, but the D couldn't stop anybody. Or where it was a blowout. Or where it was a tight game, but the breaks just didn't go our way. As 39 stated, I'm thinking a solid running game with 100yds+ EACH game will help keep our D fresh for the second half of the season. The only concern I have is that we will need to keep Rickey healthy to carry that running game into the playoffs. So i am hoping we have solid depth to spell RW during the games. Having the later Bye will Definatly help. As would a first round bye;D.
 

Capt. Dick

Deep Sea Wanderer
Joined
Feb 23, 2002
Messages
2,383
Reaction score
0
Location
Akron zoo
Originally posted by dolfan87
If the training camp theory were true, then we would come out of the gate flat.

We don't.

What happens is, we lose our advantage in the cold weather, plus we always seem to lose a couple key players to injury at the end of the year.

Besides, 39 is correct, when was the last time we had a solid effective running game? Lamar did a great job in 2000, but he was wasted for the Raider game after Indy...if he were fresh, who knows.

I don`t buy your 1st paragraph 87. It seems like a cumulative thing..........along about Dec., the body seems to say..............hey!............F**K THIS! I still think the heat plays a major factor.

It would certainly help the D if we ran 100+ yds every game.

More rotation might be helpful as well.

Seems like a combination of things.

UMM...........let`s leave JJ on the boat. :)
 

dolfan06

Super Donator
Finheaven VIP
Joined
Sep 2, 2001
Messages
13,273
Reaction score
154
Age
74
Location
FayettevilleArkansas
Re: Re: no running game may be part of it!

Originally posted by dolphan39
we could hire JJ part-time as our team pyschologist :goof:
39, why didn't you post this in the lounge with the rest of the jokes?:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 
Top Bottom