Season ending collapses | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Season ending collapses

Capt. Dick, Don Shula ran some of the toughest training camps known to man back in 71, 72,73...and the Dolphins dominated. In fact we went 17-0 one year didn't we?

Shula would have three a days, he was crazy.

We had the three headed running monster...thus we kicked butt.

If you will allow me to state my opinion, I believe that I could possibly bring up a few valid points.

1. The weather in South Florida provides the Dolphins with a great home field advantage. It’s very difficult for teams to play down there in September and early October. This helps the Dolphins get out to great starts season after season. It amazes me that the Arizona Cardinals don’t capitalize on their home field advantage. However as the season progresses, the playing field levels out, and teams begin to put in better efforts.
2. Although not all the November and December games are played on the road, the same advantages the Dolphins have in point 1, are awarded to other teams during these months.
3. It is during these months that the cold weather/Northern teams go to their power running games. In adverse conditions, the team that can run and stop the run will always have an advantage. It is no secret that the Dolphins running game has been nearly non-existent for quite some time.
4. This point is an opinion, so please feel free to disagree. I feel that when the power running games get into full swing, the Dolphins are at a disadvantage because their defense is slightly undersized. Although they are undersized, they are fast as hell, so in the early part of the season, they fly all over the field, giving opposing offenses fits. But as the season progresses they have trouble playing the physical game.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Capt. if i'm ever down that way, I look you up to do some fishing

Originally posted by Billsfan
Thanks Capt. if i'm ever down that way, I look you up to do some fishing

ok pal..........we can hash out the merits of our respective teams...........guess I`ll be doin` most of the talk`n.

Sorry, couldn`t pass that one up. :p :)

4. This point is an opinion, so please feel free to disagree. I feel that when the power running games get into full swing, the Dolphins are at a disadvantage because their defense is slightly undersized. Although they are undersized, they are fast as hell, so in the early part of the season, they fly all over the field, giving opposing offenses fits. But as the season progresses they have trouble playing the physical game.

Who's undersized?!?
Zach? He's as big as Mike Singletary was.
JT? Maybe, but he plays big.
Who else?
When injuries come into play and Zach doesn't have the beef up front to keep blockers off of him, then you have a valid point but, if we could keep everyone healthy ie; all starters playing, I don't think size would be a factor.(no jokes please:p )

I'm with 87 and 39 on this one. A consistent power running game will put a stop to those pesky "three and outs" that seem to grow more abundant late in the season, thus keeping the defense fresher and stronger.

Originally posted by dolfan87
Capt. Dick, Don Shula ran some of the toughest training camps known to man back in 71, 72,73...and the Dolphins dominated. In fact we went 17-0 one year didn't we?

Shula would have three a days, he was crazy.

We had the three headed running monster...thus we kicked butt.

Well...........there were 2 less reg. season games played back then and the players off season was longer than it is now. The competition now is bigger, stronger and faster. Does any of this add up?.............beats me...........but these reasons seem at least feasible.

3 headed nonster..........WELL SAID..............those were the days!

Back
Top Bottom