Season-opening loss doesn't seem quite as pathetic now | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Season-opening loss doesn't seem quite as pathetic now

DrAstroZoom

Bon vivant
Reaction score
The loss to the Texans hurts a great deal, but I do find myself being less down on the Dolphins for the loss in retrospect.

The Texans, despite a 4-7 record, have played extremely well for a still-young team. I just wish they could have held on versus the Pats. :(

Yes, Houston should be at least 6-5 right now, and look at what some of the wins would be: at Miami, Carolina, New England (had they hung on to win).....impressive.

That loss is still pathetic. The Dolphins just didn't show up to play.

yup - still pathetic. If we had played well and the Texans had played lights-out to beat us, that's one thing. But when you don't show up, that's pathetic.

There was and is no excuse for losing to a second year team in our home opener. It was a case of poor preparation, poor coaching and poor attitudes. Thank God our guys pulled their heads out of their butts in time to make something of the season.

Originally posted by RikWriter
There was and is no excuse for losing to a second year team in our home opener. It was a case of poor preparation, poor coaching and poor attitudes. Thank God our guys pulled their heads out of their butts in time to make something of the season.
errrr..................how many teams lost to the jags and panthers the first year. and we finally beat the jags this year, so the loss doesn't really suprise me, disappoint me, yes, but no surprise!;)

Originally posted by dolfan06
errrr..................how many teams lost to the jags and panthers the first year.

Jags won 4 times their first year.
Panthers won 7 times, which was very impressive and reflected their strategy of going for older, veteran free agents rather than drafting young players.

The problem is people still think they're an expansion team that doesn't have it's **** together yet.

They get mentally grouped with Detroit and Arizona and that's just wrong.

The Texans are good - and they'll get better before they get worse.

Jags won 4 times their first year.
Panthers won 7 times, which was very impressive and reflected their strategy of going for older, veteran free agents rather than drafting young players.
the point is, the jags went to the playoffs faster than any team in history. a new team is not put in a category next to a winner!;)

The Texans did play lights out and I seem to remember the offense not doing too badly against a tough Texans D...ricky looking good, Chambers looking super human, etc.

We missed some tackles on D is all. But we still only lost by ONE FRICKING POINT. We showed up to play more than you guys give credit for, the Texans just played really well, kept hangin in there long enough to steal it. God I wish they won last night.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
The Texans did play lights out and I seem to remember the offense not doing too badly against a tough Texans D...ricky looking good, Chambers looking super human, etc.

We missed some tackles on D is all. But we still only lost by ONE FRICKING POINT. We showed up to play more than you guys give credit for, the Texans just played really well, kept hangin in there long enough to steal it. God I wish they won last night.
everybody is out to beat the best, just look what the bengals did to KC. i only saw a few plays but it didn't appear cincy was lucky, just played good.

ever since 72, the dolphins have become a marked team! the weakest team plays their best!;)

You gotta be kinding me right?

I bet you'd be one of the same people complaining about how our defense is too predictable and teams are picking us apart, we're too vanilla etc... The Texans game was one missed tackle and a jumped route by Surtain our All pro CB from being a convincing win. With that said no it's not PS fault we lost or the coaching staff for that matter. That lost has helped our pass defense ten fold especailly this year when our pass rush has been less than stellar. And why is that?

Becasue we implemented more zone coverages and blitz packages. Go back and read the articles after that game. You'd hear ZT complaining about how he hated the new zone coverages and that didn't work in their strenghts, and I bet he'll take all that back now. you'd also hear PS talk about how he'd had to get use to zone coverages and not jumping routes but how he liked the new packages.

It takes time for a team that's man to man oriented, to switch to zone coverages. There were obvious growing pains with the switch. The lack of tackling and poor pash rush killed us in that game, but poor tackling has shown up in a few of our games and our pash rush all year hasn't been consistant, however, our Pass defense has been great aside from the Tennesse game, which usually is not the case when you're pass rush inconsistant.

The Texans are a great young team with a great defense. Dom Capers has had great defenses anyplace he's coached. The texans have been in most of their games this year as opposed to last year when they were getting blown out.

You can harp on that loss all you want, but if it turns out that our zone coverages and blitz packages help us win more games down the stretch, well I'll take that "L" anyday.

especailly since the word vanilla and defense, hasn't been used as a term to label our D this year.

Re: You gotta be kinding me right?

Originally posted by rhadaddy

I bet you'd be one of the same people complaining about how our defense is too predictable and teams are picking us apart, we're too vanilla etc...

Not really. The main problem I've had with our defense is lack of effort late in the season.

sorry more making a judgement

Not really. The main problem I've had with our defense is lack of effort late in the season.

It's just the past few years we've seen the defense fold down the stretch and our biggest problems were fatigue and more importantly predictability. I see the new schemes helping us down the stretch because teams have to plan for zone coverages, as well as man to man, and mixed zone /man coverages, different blitz packages, etc... This is head and shoulders more than an oc would have to prepare for when playing us in previous years. So far the schemes are working, however the jury is still out and we still have 5 games left. I believe had it not been for these changes, our record would be much worse. Especailly with the lack of offense and consistant pash rush.

Back
Top Bottom