Seattle/San Fran back to back | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Seattle/San Fran back to back

Coral Reefer

Help save our Reefs ~ www.ReefCheck.org
Reaction score
Back to back West coast trip to Seattle and San Fran seems to be the worst part of our schedule.

Ever heard of a team staying in a location when they have back to back cross country road trips, renting a practice facility for the week and saving the wasted travel time and stress???

With the physical toll and time loss back to back cross country away games take on a team it seems to me like it would be a good thing to consider. I don't know if it's ever been done or how feasible it would be.
Anyone know of a team doing it before?

Somebody was mentioning earlier that they hoped they would be back to back so they could do exactly what you suggested. I am sure it is feasible and it certainly makes sense. Otherwise the 2 round trip X country would be bloody awful.

Cheers

Originally posted by zonk39
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ry04,0,6892178.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

From Sun Sentinel:

"In addition, Wannstedt said in the statement that the Dolphins had requested playing Seattle and San Francisco in consecutive weeks. He said the team would stay on the West Coast after the Nov. 21 game in Seattle to prepare for San Francisco the next week."

Wow, Wanny requested it???

I wasn't aware teams could request how their schedule was laid out????

By the way.... Thanks for the source Zonk.

They also travel to Denver after home for bills. 3 west coast games in 4 weeks.

Denver isn't exactly considered "west coast" though.

As soon as someone here's where they are practicing that week, let me know!!! I hope its at Cal Berkeley or somewhere in the Bay Area here in Cali. Oh man, ive already called all my niner fan friends to let them know the game is Thanksgiving weekend....plenty of travel time.

Hmmm...think the players will care about being away from their families on T-Day for the second year in a row?

Denver is more midwest then west coast. They are in mountain time

Having the BYE prior to that two-week stretch could also be an advantage. If the team is already planning on setting up shop in a practice facility on the west coast, they would try to get out their a little earlier... prior to the first game... so that they can be over the jet-lag prior to the first-game.

Originally posted by Snickersbps
As soon as someone here's where they are practicing that week, let me know!!! I hope its at Cal Berkeley or somewhere in the Bay Area here in Cali. Oh man, ive already called all my niner fan friends to let them know the game is Thanksgiving weekend....plenty of travel time.

I'm sure it will probably be at a closed facility. NFL teams do not have practices open to the public during the season, as they don't want moles from other teams coming in and scouting their plays and formations.

I touted the merits of the West Coast swing in an earlier thread. The timing of it is great. Because it comes right after the bye week, the staff has more time to work on the logistics and ship equipment west. And because it comes in late November -- at the end of the college football season -- they will probably not have much difficulty finding a I-A practice facility for that week. Cal-Berkeley will probably still be playing but San Jose State and Stanford might be finished.

Hey I think with the game in San Fran, we are going to have to get a group together to take over the stadium. As far as practice facilities, here is hoping they are somewhere in the east bay, close to home for moi. :)

Originally posted by Trekbiz
Back to back West coast trip to Seattle and San Fran seems to be the worst part of our schedule.

Ever heard of a team staying in a location when they have back to back cross country road trips, renting a practice facility for the week and saving the wasted travel time and stress???

With the physical toll and time loss back to back cross country away games take on a team it seems to me like it would be a good thing to consider. I don't know if it's ever been done or how feasible it would be.
Anyone know of a team doing it before?

Actually, that is a common thing to do to stay over on the West Coast if a road team has back to back games.
Spending Thanksgiving in California is a good thing. The weather(except in 1984) is usually very nice. I usually play golf the day after Thanksgiving.
As for potential Northern California practice sites, University of Pacific in Stockton would be good. They have a big stadium and have not an active team there for about 5 years now. Also for a couple of year the 49'ers used UOP as their training camp site. U.C Davis could work since their season would finish up on November 20. Possibly Cal State Montery Bay, the former Fort Ord could work, since in the Army base days there were a few big footbal fields on the property.;)

Originally posted by zonk39
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ry04,0,6892178.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

From Sun Sentinel:

"In addition, Wannstedt said in the statement that the Dolphins had requested playing Seattle and San Francisco in consecutive weeks. He said the team would stay on the West Coast after the Nov. 21 game in Seattle to prepare for San Francisco the next week."

man! i will be at the Frisco game, i wonder where in the west coast theyll be staying, I hope they stay in Frisco.....maybe i can go out and watch them prepare for the Niners!!! man im loving this schedule more and more!!.....J/K lol

I just wish we couldve played Frisco first, Although they are rebuiling i want to see our team well prepared for them, these past few games vs the niners my family has had bragging rights, i want those rights now....I want to beat the Niners now, I cant even remember the last time we did that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom