Secondary Is A Place Of Optimism

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phin1984!, Jun 15, 2019.

1. phin1984!

phin1984! Member

That means Flores isn’t the guy. Which is worse than getting not getting Tua. Pressure can be applied through scheme but that’s not easy

Pandarilla likes this.
  2. phin1984!

phin1984! Member

I think between the names mentioned in the OP the chances are high of 1 of them becoming just a good back up able to step in for Rowe when he gets injured. Which makes it more important McCain can retrain as a FS with Fitz in the slot and Wills playing the slot as well

3. MiamiDolfan85

MiamiDolfan85 DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

Rowe is a jag....hence his insignificant contract. Now if TBaum were still here, he'd probably have a 4-yr extension.

TannDaMan17 likes this.
  4. phin1984!

phin1984! Member

Even if we only have him for 4 games that’s 4 games where we get to access what the defence looks like with a serviceable CB2

5. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Our secondary is the best unit on the team me thinks. It's also razor thin. If X goes down it's going to go from good to crap real quick.

6. PhxSunFan34

PhxSunFan34 Well-Known Member

Can it be both?

7. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Two assumed top players - X and Minkah. McCain is an above average slot. Jones/TJM are average-at-worst safeties. A lot of teams can't boast that level of talent in the secondary. The two problems? What will the talent be at CB2? What is the talent of the depth?

8. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Depending on where Miami picks next year and how Rowe plays, getting a talented CB2 early is a huge possibility. Right now, I'd say a pass rushing defensive end is the #1 priority, followed by right tackle and maybe CB2. That's also assuming Rosen is the guy.

TannDaMan17 likes this.
  9. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

The good news is there are 2-3 guys on the roster who have the potential to be a CB2. The bad news is many players never get to potential. While some seem to think every position should be manned by an All-Pro, I'll take the currnt secondary and an above average CB. That secondary and a 'real' DC can be formidable. I'm more concerned about pass rush.

phin1984! and SF Dolphin Fan like this.
  10. djphinfan

djphinfan Perennial All-Pro

I think tight end as well

phin1984! likes this.
  11. phin1984!

phin1984! Member

That is my very point. We only need an average CB2. IF McCain can train to be a above average FS that is 2 Elite positions CB1 and Slot.

There is no reason somebody can’t step up to at least a serviceable CB3 and possibly CB4 at worst and best CB2. If Rowe can play at a average standard for a few games and the secondary plays well we know what to target next year.

The pass rush can be schemed. I’m not saying that’s easy. I believe Flores can get the best out of the defence until there is proof he can’t.

12. phin1984!

phin1984! Member

That is what everyone should hope for Rosen is the guy and we double down on our needs through the draft. Not tank for Tua and look for another head coach. It’s more important to have an elite head coach over an elite QB

13. Pandarilla

Pandarilla A True Fan

Why? Jimmy Johnson had a horrific 1st season in Dallas.

That first season in Miami, he played our CB's ten yards off the ball against Dallas, basically ceding the game to them.

I don't want them to keep flipping rocks for coaches and if you think they just performed operation paperclip on the Pats, just to have them fail and then show them the door is a utopian dream that any Dolphin fan over forty knows is too devilishly smart for our vapid owner.

It would be awesome if it worked out like that, though...

14. phin1984!

phin1984! Member

I only say as a coach who drafts No1 rarely does well. I personally don’t see Tua as the answer alone. I’d be more excited to see Flores do well with whet we’ve got. Let Rosen play next year then the OL is improved and if he fails he has no excuses. A better OL and a year learning the system. Let’s not forget the potential he showed only a year ago. It’s better Rosen is an good QB with Flores as an elite HC. With all those extra picks we could really improve the roster or trade for future picks. If that fails let’s go after Lawrence

Pandarilla likes this.
  15. Pandarilla

Pandarilla A True Fan

If he's gonna fail, it's most likely this season. I'd rather they get Lawrence, also.

I'm just pushing the tank narrative because I at least want a shot at Herbert. Then start Rosen while our new toy is allowed to sit.

I see Rosen getting crushed behind our line this year. I see us selling the farm for the #2 pick next year.