Sell low on the 1st pick? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sell low on the 1st pick?

CJGoCanes

Starter
Reaction score
Would anybody consider trading the #1 pick below its 'supposed' value? I've seen outlandish trade scenarios, but those aren't likely to happen. That is why we would have to get as close to being even to even think about trading with someone. There are two ways of looking at this proposal:

Miami- We desperately need players (plural). We need immediate help and depth at many positions. We don't need a single player. The only way I would be happy picking at #1 is if there was a bona-fide stud at a position of great importance (QB, LT). Someone that blows everyone away. Not one of 5 'good but could be very good' prospects. Plus, with the #1 pick, you're looking at at least $30-35 million guarunteed plus probably a contract of 6 years. That is too much of a burden to take a chance on.

Other team- They could love a player at the top of the draft, and be that player's impact away from pushing them over the top. But they are not going to go 'Ditka for Ricky' on us, giving us multiple, multiple picks when so many later round players are contributing just as much as 1st round picks.

That is why the Dolphins would have to make a 'concession' and sell low. So would you trade the #1 pick for a mid-1st rounder and a 2nd. Maybe a mid-1st, a 3rd and a 5th? Or a higher 1st (top 12), a later pick, and a 2nd next year?

I would love to move down to the 5-12 range, pick up an extra pick (maybe 4th), and a 2nd next year.

Now I'm strictly guessing so don't say 'That's too low' because I'm no G.M. but give your minimum trade scenario

the lowest i would go would be atl's 3rd and later second and like a 3rd next year
or to the boys for their 2 firsts and carpenter

Back
Top Bottom