Senior Bowl News | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Senior Bowl News

Does anyone know what Whitehurst's pro and con's are? This guy seemed to be impressed with him, but I don't know much about him.

Whitehurst is a decent college QB, but I dont see him as a legitimate NFL starter. My opinion is you get one of the best or you get someone who has been in the league for a bit

Charlie Whitehurst
QB, Clemson

CHARLIE WHITEHURST MEASURABLES Height: 6-4
clear.gif
Weight: 223 40-yard dash: 4.95

War Room analysis
Strengths: Is tall and sturdy. Easily sees over offensive line, and spots receivers easily in open passing windows. Shows great arm strength with a high release point. Consistently completes downfield passes and deep-out routes. Is efficient rolling left or right. Shows nice touch and precision on underneath routes. Sells the run well on play-action fakes. If given time, can pick apart a defense.

Weaknesses: Is too inconsistent. Shows only average athleticism, and is not a running threat. Tends to be reckless and overconfident with passes. Takes too many risks. Does not make good decisions when blitzed, and rarely steps into a throw while under pressure. Holds the ball too long on downfield timing routes. Throws way too many interceptions.

Bottom line: Whitehurst has thrown for a ton of yards in college but has been way too inconsistent and throws way too many interceptions. He has all the physical tools to be a good NFL pocket passer, but he must make better decisions to play in the NFL.

NEWS

Whitehurst certainly looks the part and was strong in Monday's drills at the Senior Bowl, but we still want to see how he fares against a live pass rush. Whitehurst was solid against Colorado in the Champs Sports Bowl, throwing for 196 yards and running for a touchdown. This was an important performance because Whitehurst had arthroscopic surgery immediately after the regular season. Whitehurst threw well and showed no signs of immobility. His size, arm strength and mobility make him an intriguing prospect. If he plays well in postseason all-star games and performs well at the NFL Combine, he could move into Day 1. -- War Room scouts

Career statistics
PassingRushingTeamCmp.Att.Pct.Yds.Avg.TDInt.Rat.Att.Yds.Avg.TD'02 Clemson12321457.515547.310684.1431062.52'03 Clemson28846561.935617.7211389.0922442.74'04 Clemson17734950.720675.971755.4812593.21'05 Clemson22733867.224747.3111087.1501813.63Totals815136659.796567.1494679.22667903.010

clear.gif

thanks for the link....its good to see we are looking for a late round future replacement at quarterback. i think we have more immediate needs, even though i want a quarterback more than any other position. if we get a chad greenway or another talented lb or db it can help out D just be nasty

fishfan34 said:
Does anyone know what Whitehurst's pro and con's are? This guy seemed to be impressed with him, but I don't know much about him.

from nfldraftcountdown.com

Whitehurst:

Strengths:
Has excellent size...Great arm strength with an overhead delivery...Good natural athlete who can move around in the pocket a little...Smart and tough with solid intangibles...Efficient in the short passing game...Durable three-year starter with a lot of experience...Still has some upside and potential...Has good bloodlines.

Weaknesses:
Very erratic and has had an up and down career...Makes way too many bad decisions, especially under pressure...Not a threat to run and is basically a pocket passer...Takes unnecessary risks...Needs to be more accurate, especially on deep passes...Holds onto the ball too long...Needs to be coached up and developed.

Notes:
Son of former Green Bay Packer quarterback David Whitehurst, who played in the NFL from 1976-83...Looked like a potential top prospect early in his career but bottomed out as a junior before bouncing back to a degree in 2005...Has a lot of physical tools to work with and could develop into a starter at the pro level.

canesfins13 said:
Whitehurst is a decent college QB, but I dont see him as a legitimate NFL starter. My opinion is you get one of the best or you get someone who has been in the league for a bit

Now see thats not entirely true, Whitehurst has physicall ability coming out his ears I mean he is 6'4 225lbs. The big knock on Whitehurst is consistancy, he never seems to play good all the time. He will play lights out and then do an impression of a "Dave Wannstedt" QB. If they feel like they can get him to live up to his potential he would be a very good choice.

clear.gif
Weight: 223 40-yard dash: 4.95 [/QUOTE]

Odd, the height, weight and 40 time are almost identical to Marino's
coming out of college.
NO, I'M NOT COMPARING HIM TO DANNY TALENT WISE.

Whitehurst would be a good pick in round 3 or 4. Wouldnt mind getting him and taking our chances at a QB next year. I like Quinn, Brohm, Stanton, Palmer better than this years crop considering we may not get a chance at Leinart,Young, and probably Cutler.

trainwreck said:
clear.gif

Odd, the height, weight and 40 time are almost identical to Marino's
coming out of college.
NO, I'M NOT COMPARING HIM TO DANNY TALENT WISE.[/QUOTE]

No not really. Marino was 6-3, 230ish and ran even back then quite a bit slower than Whitehurst. Your going to say that's one inch but then I can tell you fine, there's close to 200 QBs in that one inch range of height. They have very little similarity as QBs actually.

I like Whitehurst, even moreso than Brodie Croyle, but both QB are 3rd rounders. He has an NFL arm & loads of potential, many thought preseason of 04 that he was a top 10 pick.

Weaknesses: Shows only average athleticism, and is not a running threat.

Evidently they didn't watch the Miami game where he had a 65 yard run. You don't get 65 yards on a team that has 4.4 team speed & not be viewed as a running threat.

Whitehurst is and continues to be on the radar screen. He's a poor man's Jay Cutler, basically. The issue with Whitehurst, IMO, is that he lacks good field vision. He has a whale of an arm, just like Cutler. He doesn't have the nasty habit of throwing off his back foot like Jay does, so his arm doesn't get the press that Jay's arm does...but it's a very strong arm. He also has extremely good mobility and is a very fast open field runner, like Jay. His delivery isn't as compact as Cutler's, and that is one issue. The other issue is that he's even more wreckless with the ball than Cutler (who is pretty wreckless with the ball at times). The last issue is he does not seem to possess field vision worth a damn, and may need a lot of coaching, practice, hard work, and possibly some special exercises to help him see the field better.

But he's as good a QB prospect as you'll ever find in the 4th or 5th round.

You need to add DJ Shockley to you list CK :shakeno: Don't know why. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom