Senior Bowl | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Senior Bowl

Originally posted by finfan54
BTW, i will be watching Rivers and Losman. Linemen are too difficult to watch with five or six of them baning inside. I will also be watching for a late round type steal at DE. I will be watching any cheerleaders (no males please):D

The key to grading linemen usually ends up being where the person they were defending is at. I understand, they get jumbled up, and the camera doesn't usually give you a long enough shot of them exclusively. Other positions are different because you see a lot more of them, and it's easier to pick them out.

What you can do, is take note if their opposition guy is putting pressure on the QB or not. Also on run plays YOU have to try to read the play in a way, and see if they do their job well. Like pulling guards, are they fast enough, do they get outside the line etc. Another key thing to watch, that you should be able to see nearly every play, is how fast they get off the ball. That seems to be the easiest.

Grading linemen is an exercise in frustration IMO. I try to do my own grading on players, and tend to trust myself more than draft experts, but in general, I have to just trust them when it comes to linemen, as I have the same problem as you. Safeties offer me the same problems sometimes. I usually don't get to see them at the beginning of the play, so it's hard to see if they bite on coverage. A lot of times though, the announcers will single them out as having bit, or not supplying help so you know without a doubt then. Ok, i'm sure you didn't want that, so I'll shut up now :D

Take a look at the south's Sean Locklear at OG, in today's Senior Bowl.

Locklear was the best lineman in Mobile.

There are a lot of things to take into account when evaluating an offensive lineman. Is he a waist bender or a knee bender? Where does he place his hands in pass protection? Does he have good footwork? Can he pull and lead plays to the outside? Does he come out of his stance quickly? Does he pop and drive the defender, or does he simply maul the defender? Does he have a tendancy to get driven backwards? Can he get to the second level and make a block on a linebacker or safety? Does he have good balance?

I guess the only way to evaluate some of the players on this game is to watch the game about 30 times so that you can actually see everyone. In the end, you have to understand that you can't really evaluate anybody on just 1 game. Like somebody said, the practices are more importand in a way. Then again, there's nothing that compares to real game action.

Ozzy rules!!

To scouts, this game is an exhibition. The money was made and lost through the week.

In fact, this game has no intensity every time I watch it. Kind of like a stress reliever for the long week they've just been through.

I'll be watching QBs, WRs and OL, mostly. I will watch the tape all the way through twice before the draft and I watch each play about 4-5 times each viewing. Then if Miami picks somebody who I didn't notice or watch that played in the game, I'll watch it again after the draft.

so are they kids all guaranteed equal playing time, like the 3 qbs?

Could somebody throw an update every now and then about the Senior Bowl? It comes on in a few minutes and I don't get ESPN. I just got sick of those morons and some of the other channels so I ditched cable ;) Gotta get it back before the draft though :(

Originally posted by NavyFishFan
Could somebody throw an update every now and then about the Senior Bowl? It comes on in a few minutes and I don't get ESPN. I just got sick of those morons and some of the other channels so I ditched cable ;) Gotta get it back before the draft though :(

I think Muck just open a Senior Bowl thread...

Just to let you know, Rivers just done with his first drive. 5 att 3 comp 21 yds, 3 yd rshing..

Back
Top Bottom