Seth McKinney in Miami | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Seth McKinney in Miami

You shouldn't compare McKinney to Ruddy because he is a smart technician and not a Damien Woody type of overpowering center. Dwight Stephenson was powerful, but he was also a technician. Remember guys like Jay Hilgenberg and Kevin Glover? Technicians.

I remember another third round pick that Tony Wise was a key voice in taking. Yep, he was a technician that was undersized. In 1990, the Dallas Cowboys took a 6-2, 255 lbs center from Pittsburgh named Mark Stepnoski. Stepnoski took the place of a big, overpowering center in John Gesek.

Ruddy also has a degenerative hip condition which negates his lower body strength. I don't think he can do full workouts with his legs because of this. McKinney is young, has good upper body strength, and is a smart center. The Dolphins obviously want to replace Tim Ruddy within the next year, and they probably feel that Troy Andrew is too tall to be a center. You don't see many 6-5 centers.

I would have taken Terrence Metcalf as well though. Funny thing about PFW's write up on McKinney is this. They say he will probably be a second day pick like his brother, yet they rate him the 67th best player in the draft whereas they had Metcalf rated the 81st player in the draft. Steve McKinney went on to become a pretty good offensive lineman though.

I think we will continue to build up the OL. Eric Heitmann could be our first pick tomorrow.

Yup the whispers were when we were going hard after Olin we were going to move Ruddy to guard (cause cutting Ruddy didn't make sense).

does our OL suck that much

that we expected #90 to start but the Boys:

Cowboys | Gurode Will Compete - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
20:00 PT: The Dallas Morning News reports Dallas Cowboys second-round draft pick, OL Andre Gurode of Colorado, is not expected to enter training camp as a starter. However, Cowboys coach Dave Campo and his staff are ready to throw him into the competition and see if he can work his way up to a starting job. Gurode will compete with G Kelvin Garmon and C Matt Lehr. "Best man wins," said offensive coordinator Bruce Coslet. "We think we upgraded that level of competition."

do not expect Gurode to start :confused: Gurode will probably start, but...

Very Disappointed by the McKinney pick

I think the Dolphins reached for a marginal talent when there was better talent available at other positions.

The opportunity to get Metcalf or Johnson, both who went right after should have been one that Miami took advantage of.

Maybe, Miami will reveal a grand master plan, but for now I am not impressed.

The thing is, we have to realize that our three interior linemen are all over 30 years of age, and two of them that are starters have serious health concerns. The team has to get younger behind those guys. McKinney is a draft pick that looks more towards next year with the outside chance of getting into the competition this year. I have a feeling that if Ruddy has to miss any time, he won't get his job back.

The need for some young, interior linemen is why I won't be surprised to see us grab another with that 4th round pick. Maybe Eric Heitmann. Maybe a guy like Michael Collins of Wake Forest.

Re: Very Disappointed by the McKinney pick

Originally posted by RHoffman
I think the Dolphins reached for a marginal talent when there was better talent available at other positions.

The opportunity to get Metcalf or Johnson, both who went right after should have been one that Miami took advantage of.

Maybe, Miami will reveal a grand master plan, but for now I am not impressed.

I agree. Unless McKinney becomes the starter and does a great job, then this will be the 2nd year in a row our first pick does nothing to help us out in his first year

Originally posted by KB21
The thing is, we have to realize that our three interior linemen are all over 30 years of age, and two of them that are starters have serious health concerns.

That is not true.

McKinney probably would have been available in the 4th.

Re: Re: Very Disappointed by the McKinney pick

Originally posted by booyeah_

I agree. Unless McKinney becomes the starter and does a great job, then this will be the 2nd year in a row our first pick does nothing to help us out in his first year

big difference between a first rounder not starting and a third rounder not starting.
I would hope that the starters we have are better than a third round rookie anyway.

Re: Re: Re: Very Disappointed by the McKinney pick

Originally posted by inFINSible

big difference between a first rounder not starting and a third rounder not starting.
I would hope that the starters we have are better than a third round rookie anyway.

Or we got "one hell of a Olin style steal" :lol:

Re: Re: Re: Very Disappointed by the McKinney pick

Originally posted by inFINSible

exactly, the Boys are not even counting on Gurode to starter and he was the #1 OG in the draft.

Gil Brandt liked Metcalf better, but...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/OL_ratings.html

Like Seth too:

16. Seth McKinney, Texas A&M (6-3 3/8, 300, 4.99 on turf)
Had a complete workout at the combine. Performed 23 strength reps, had a 33½-inch vertical jump and an 8-foot, 9-inch long jump. Ran two 40s (4.97 and 5.01). Played offensive line in high school. Also was a state qualifier in the shot put. Redshirted in 1997. Started every game at center the next four years. His brother Steve is a starting guard for the Colts. Academic all-conference team four years in a row. Has very good playing speed with good foot quickness and upper-body control. Can make the shotgun snap. Does not do the long snap. Very good worker. Not an explosive player and lacks power, but he is effective. Coachable. Young man has great character.

at 4.99, he is the fastest OL and Rick said they really liked he toughness and versatility...and character I am sure. We'll see...

Re: Gil Brandt liked Metcalf better, but...

Originally posted by dolphan39
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/OL_ratings.html

Like Seth too:

16. Seth McKinney, Texas A&M (6-3 3/8, 300, 4.99 on turf)
Had a complete workout at the combine. Performed 23 strength reps, had a 33½-inch vertical jump and an 8-foot, 9-inch long jump. Ran two 40s (4.97 and 5.01). Played offensive line in high school. Also was a state qualifier in the shot put. Redshirted in 1997. Started every game at center the next four years. His brother Steve is a starting guard for the Colts. Academic all-conference team four years in a row. Has very good playing speed with good foot quickness and upper-body control. Can make the shotgun snap. Does not do the long snap. Very good worker. Not an explosive player and lacks power, but he is effective. Coachable. Young man has great character.

at 4.99, he is the fastest OL and Rick said they really liked he toughness and versatility...and character I am sure. We'll see...

The lack of power can be worked on with weight training on the legs and hips, which I'm sure the Fins will require he do to improve his strength so he can become an effective pro player.

I'm warming up to this pick, not too excited but not at all dissapointed either.

Re: Re: Gil Brandt liked Metcalf better, but...

Originally posted by Hellion

The lack of power can be worked on with weight training on the legs and hips, which I'm sure the Fins will require he do to improve his strength so he can become an effective pro player.

I'm warming up to this pick, not too excited but not at all dissapointed either.

good points - me, too. It is just tough to get used to your top pick being the 90th player chosen. At least we did not hold back on the Ricky trade to draft a guy from Alabama-Birmingham in the first round like some teams :evil:

Re: Re: Re: Gil Brandt liked Metcalf better, but...

Originally posted by dolphan39

good points - me, too. It is just tough to get used to your top pick being the 90th player chosen. At least we did not hold back on the Ricky trade to draft a guy from Alabama-Birmingham in the first round like some teams :evil:

:lol: Excactly, sometimes you see a talent that may have some downsides to him but with proper training it may bring the all pro out in him, i.e David Boston Az. Cards, have you seen that monster since he's been working out! :eek:

Someone said earlier that McKinney's a guy who gets tossed around a lot. Well, that's quite interesting, considering the fact he didn't allow any sacks in his final year.

Source

Some interesting stuff I've read from Wanny's mouth:

"We feel good to get a guy of quality at a position where we needed some help,'' Wannstedt said. "This guy in two weeks is going to know our offense. He's as mature and ready to play as you can possibly be. He's going to make the team.''

``We know what we have,'' Wannstedt said. ``When we see some of things that happened today with some of the picks, it reinforces how fortunate we are to have two guys [Greenwood, Williams] here who are already training with us.''

Some quotes from McKinney:

``This is a dream come true,'' he said. ``Miami has so much to offer. I'm extremely excited about playing for coach Wannstedt.''

``They talked briefly about playing guard,'' he said. ``I'll play wherever they put me. My goal is to start, I don't care if I am a rookie drafted in the third round.''

Source

----

I like this kid already!

Back
Top Bottom