Shake up on defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Shake up on defense

Trackstar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Just thought I would bring up a new topic that has not been dicussed. It Is no secret we need a shake up on the defensive side of the ball. What do you think is going to happen? We are very talented but however failed to show up crunch time. Dont get me wrong, our Defense has bailed us out many times. But that is no excuse when they crumble under the pressure. Will the FO address this issue?:confused:

There are some good LBS in the draft that'll be Late 1st, early 2nd picks. Also there's another safety called Sean Jones that'll be around the same. If we get another pick for Ogun, I wouldn't be completely opposed to getting someone like that. Seau will probably be gone after this year, and Thomas isn't getting any younger. And at Saftey, Marion and Knight may be gone this year. So Safety and LB are our most pressing needs on Defense I think.

Yes, our defense almost singlehandedly lost the Philly Monday nighter. I was hoping we would at least change our current system. Our system is based on having tons of talent, but if one or two players don't show up ready then the system gets exposed. We have such awesome run defense but our secondary can't keep up sometimes. Like maybe we need to run more all out zone instead of so much cover 2 man.

Jim Bates' scheme probably played a role in the defenses sruggles. Even players said so last year.

Originally posted by Trackstar#6
Jim Bates' scheme probably played a role in the defenses sruggles. Even players said so last year.

yeah i´ve never never likes jim bates´scheme. in fact i think that´s PART of the problem why our defense underahieves and folds in crucial moments.
we need a new scheme for nest season

zone

last year, at the begining, we played more zone and we were burned. we stopped playing as much because it was not working.

Many Db's have said Miami is a great place to play because their Defense gets so many ints. That might be the problem. They are to focused on getting picks and end up getting burned.

Cairo is right on, we switched and experimented with zone for the first quarter of the season and we were getting torched with supposedly the best secondary in football. We were ranked around 30 in pass defense. It was Carr & Testaverde doing it, not superstars.

I didn't get to see the Texans game so I can't really say, but the secondary was probably still getting used to throwing the zone coverage into the scheme. I got to watch the Jets game, and I really did not see anything wrong with the cover schemes. Testaverde ended up with over 300 yards passing, but almost half (maybe even more) of that came in the 4th quarter when we were "playing with the lead." We get caught doing that a lot actually . . . whether that's players letting up or coaches calling too many soft cover schemes, I do not know. Another point about the Jets game, Santana Moss was OWNING Sam Madison (if I remember correctly). In the Buffalo game, things worked perfectly. Bledsoe only threw for just over 100 yards and, again, about half of that came on their last drive of the game. I think the Giants game was the same way. I'm willing to bet there are plenty of other examples.

yes, Bates scheme is getting old. u guys think we can change to a Cover2 D (can we succed in one) or which D scheme is best for us?

As crazy as it sounds, Jimmy Johnson's Scheme fits perfect for our personnel. However he did not mix it up that much either.

dont be surprised if sam madison is cut! then rick should have a friggin cow!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom