"Shawn Andrews has a shot to be a mid-first round pick." | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Shawn Andrews has a shot to be a mid-first round pick."

RUDEbyallMEANS

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Say what?? Wasn't Shawn Andrews considered a top 10 pick?? Now he "has a shot" to be a "mid-first rounder"??

This is directly from Kipers article of "Who Needs Good Workouts?"..

"Shawn Andrews, OT, Arkansas-- Maintaining an optimum weight will be the biggest question to answer. Teams want to know if he is 350 or 370 and what kind of overall stamina he will have. With acceptable numbers he has a shot to be a mid first-round pick."

"A shot to be a mid first rounder" sounds to me like more than likely he will be available to Miami.. This is a cat that had pancakes for dinner in college ( Football pancakes that is, on the field), a dominant run blocker who you can rely on to shove the pile for a yard when needed.. This would be a blessing in disguise if Andrews does get bumped down in the board because of his weight..

What do you all think??

He reportedly just weighed in a 402 lbs.

Reggie Williams is the guy that's interesting me like hell now. I liked Reggie from the start, but didn't think he'd fall. Many project that he will run around the 4.5's at the combine, which will drop his ranking in thie speed-whore league.

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS
Reggie Williams wont get past the Niners

That's what I said a few weeks ago, but there's a chance now. Mike Clayton could easily jump him, and so could other players on the overall board.

Originally posted by Muck
He reportedly just weighed in a 402 lbs.

Muck is correct. Andrews weighed in at 402 at the beginning of last week. He's been in Arizona all week on a treadmill & working with a nutritionist to get his weight down.

I don't know much about Shawn Andrews (I really haven't kept up on him) beyond the fact that he's huge and he's a highly rated RT.

Here's my question. Say we were to go out and address the RT and one guard spot in FA (which is probably what will happen). Then Andrews is there at 20. Do you take him and move him to guard?? Or do you trade down??

I guess it would depend on who we signed at LT. If he's an older vet, sure. But if he's young, then you think about guard.

IMO Andrews has bust written all over him with this weight issue. If the combine & money won't motivate him to stay in shape & keep his weight under control nothing will.

Some guys have a genuine problem keeping weight on, and some have a genuine problem keeping it off. If he came down to Miami he could at the very least have Ricky introduce him to Sari Mellman and I truly believe she could help him keep weight off by working on his diet IF he shows the desire.

Its hard to attain the level of sophistication in your diet that you need in the NFL if you don't have any money and if you're just a college kid, then you don't have that money unless your agent just starts fronting you money (which they do).

Desire never seems to be a problem of his though on the football field. He doesn't seem prone to taking plays off or anything. I read a good scouting report on him that said that if he can keep his weight under control he would make an All-Pro right guard. The problem with him playing tackle is that he's always going to have pass protection problems, and when he's in pass protection he gets very frustrated and prone to penalties. He doesn't give up because he's got a lot of pride in himself as a player....But he loves, absolutely loves, knocking guys off the ball and run blocking. At RG he would get the opportunity to do that and work with the center in pass protection a lot.

I think he's going to show up at the combine overweight and its going to drop his stock significantly and yeah, the guy could very well be there at #20 when we draft.

Question is, if Rivers, Carey, Reggie Williams, and Shawn Andrews are all there at #20, which guy do you take? I still take Rivers...because Andrews is an incomplete player and guards are not worth passing up on rare QB abilities like Rivers has. Reggie Williams I'd pass up for character reasons, and obviously a lot of teams would be agreeing with me on that one if Williams did indeed end up available at #20.

Before you start making the Moss comparisons, no Williams does not have Moss-like abilities.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I think he's going to show up at the combine overweight and its going to drop his stock significantly and yeah, the guy could very well be there at #20 when we draft.

Question is, if Rivers, Carey, Reggie Williams, and Shawn Andrews are all there at #20, which guy do you take? I still take Rivers...because Andrews is an incomplete player and guards are not worth passing up on rare QB abilities like Rivers has. Reggie Williams I'd pass up for character reasons, and obviously a lot of teams would be agreeing with me on that one if Williams did indeed end up available at #20.

Before you start making the Moss comparisons, no Williams does not have Moss-like abilities.

My wife is an Arkansas Law grad, so I see the Hogs, and thus Andrews, a lot on TV (WOO PIG SOOEY!). All I know is that he looked plenty good last year. Maybe he's one of those guys who regularly balloons in the offseason and loses it before the year starts. In any event, this could be a real blessing in disguise for us, because I saw a number of mock drafts where Andrews WAS a top 10 pick. Short of getting so fat that they have to bring him to the combine on a forklift, there's no way he falls out of round 1.

If all those guys are (miraculously) there at #20? I'd be happy with any of them, but I suppose I'd opt for Andrews. He can play guard or tackle, which allows us to fill one spot for sure and gives us some leverage with Wade's contract talks.

its sad to see a kid that has all the talent in the world and waste it simply because he can't get his weight under control look at Aaron Gibson that guy has Orlando Pace ability if he played at 330-340 but he is over 400 lbs and can't function i know the league likes big O-line but anyone over 350 can't make it they loose they lateral movement and stamina

You're right, but I'd qualify that a little bit. 350-360 lbs is okay, as long as the guy is about 6-7.

He's a beast....we got a bull and all we need is our bull to run behind a beast...I would love to get him no doubt!!! Bye bye T. Wade.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Some guys have a genuine problem keeping weight on, and some have a genuine problem keeping it off. If he came down to Miami he could at the very least have Ricky introduce him to Sari Mellman and I truly believe she could help him keep weight off by working on his diet IF he shows the desire.

Its hard to attain the level of sophistication in your diet that you need in the NFL if you don't have any money and if you're just a college kid, then you don't have that money unless your agent just starts fronting you money (which they do).

Desire never seems to be a problem of his though on the football field. He doesn't seem prone to taking plays off or anything. I read a good scouting report on him that said that if he can keep his weight under control he would make an All-Pro right guard. The problem with him playing tackle is that he's always going to have pass protection problems, and when he's in pass protection he gets very frustrated and prone to penalties. He doesn't give up because he's got a lot of pride in himself as a player....But he loves, absolutely loves, knocking guys off the ball and run blocking. At RG he would get the opportunity to do that and work with the center in pass protection a lot.

I take Rivers at 20, no question about it. If we wind up with 2 #1s, then it gets interesting indeed!!

Back
Top Bottom