should miami bother with a vetren QB? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

should miami bother with a vetren QB?

Fisticuff

hm mmm, peanut butter and crack sandwich
Reaction score
*no peyton talk*

should miami bother with a vetren QB like Brunell, Warner, Garcia?
if miami drafts a rookie, it might be best to play him. it's not these FA are gonna do more anyway. Warner has a history of injury, Garcia has back problems, and Brunell (the best canidate out of those 3) is pretty close to being done.

why not send PR (the best QB in the draft IMO) or whoever into the starting role? although there are rookie downsides, it's not like we can't manage. we have JF as our QB... (i once was a big fiedler supporter).

No, I dont think any of those are worth going after, and I think Garcia is the better of those you mentioned......Im not sold on going afte someone in the draft either, its a win now league and with the talent we have and Wanny still our coach, it will be disastress to gamble on another non-playoff season......If we cant sign a good Qb, theres always the element of a trade......if all else fails, lets get desperate and give what we can for the right guy.

The reason that there is talk & speculation on a veteran is that as Wanny said @ the press conference is that everyone (including) the Phins are looking to win now. And if Wanny wants to coach in '05 for the Phins he better get this team ready for a good season. A rookie qb will take at least 1 or more seasons to develop w/ the new system, mature for the NFL and Miami doesn't want to wait. Had they drafted like that a few years ago, we would be better off but the mentality was the same then as well.

In 2004 no playoffs for the Phins = Ron Wolf / Mueller fires Wanny right after the season or before depending on the way the seasons shaping up.

I say Brunell IS NOT washed up. He's only 33, how old was Gannon when he first signed with the Raiders? From '99 through '02, Brunell missed a total of 3 games, and no more than 1 in a season. His TD/INT ratio has been nothing short of excellent. The only reason he hasn't played much this season is because Del Rio wanted his QB of the future to get his feet wet playing now instead of next season. I'd take Brunell in a heartbeat.

Brunell's stats:
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1032

They will and should persue a Vet QB. MOst if not all are moderate improvements but something behind center must change. With just a small improvement this team could be 13-3. I think we only lost one game by more than a TD. That would mean every deep ball missed may have cost us a game. Of course lots of other issues come into play but the deep ball is a significant part.

What we need most is a QB that protect the ball no ints from fiedler or fumbles from griese. Brunell does neither and had a strong arm to complement his scrambling.

Upon thinking about it Brunell doesn't sound to bad after all, he's mobile, has a good arm (which after this year will be quite fresh), and if we get him early enough he'll adapt to the system.

a 2yr deal for him and have Ron Wolf (hopefully) draft a young gun. Having a qb like Brunell and patching the o-line we'll have something to look forward to on the offensive side of the ball, especially w/ Ricky!!

I would like to see a good qb in there just to see how Chris Chambers's numbers would look like, he'd be over 1,000 yards by mid-November w/ a good qb and another decent reciever on the other side.

Brunell is a fantastic option. He is a big improvement over Fiedler and plays through pain still at a good level. He still scrambles a little bit, his mobility is similar to Fiedler. His deep ball is still a beauty.

Remember that Brunell put up that 89 rating without Jimmy Smith this year and Fred Taylor was not running very well yet. The OL was stinking it up.

Those 7 or so deep balls missed to Chambers this year for a TD(yes I counted), he can atleast hit half of. That is huge, atleast another two wins.

You won't be so scared with Wade Smith, since he will improve and won't be Brunell's blindside.

Brunell has also said he will play for cheap just to start and has in the past said he has alot of interest in Miami. It's a good fit.

And think about this, what GM discovered Brunell? You guessed it, Ron Wolf!

Brunell is not washed up and he will be better choice for Norv offense than Garcia.

Has any team led by rookie QB even make the playoffs before?I think not(Modern NFL)....

Yeah, but what about Peyton Manning? (J/K) I wouldn't mind seeing us get a good one in the draft.

Originally posted by relive1972
I say Brunell IS NOT washed up. He's only 33, how old was Gannon when he first signed with the Raiders? From '99 through '02, Brunell missed a total of 3 <a href="http://go-advertising.com?go=games" onmouseover="window.status = 'goto: games';return 1" onmouseout="window.status=''">games</a>, and no more than 1 in a season. His TD/INT ratio has been nothing short of excellent. The only reason he hasn't played much this season is because Del Rio wanted his QB of the future to get his feet wet playing now instead of next season. I'd take Brunell in a heartbeat.

Brunell's stats:
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1032

His TD-INT ratio has been nothing short of excellent? 144 TD's compared to 86 INT's. Less than a 2:1 ratio. This is barely short of excellent? His best TD-INT seasons were 97 and 98 when he was +11. He also had a +10 season(2002) but everything else was just pretty much mediocre. He's got an arm and is accurate but has nothing else going for him.

He averages 13 TD's a year if you include his first season and this season. Without those seasons included(or the 2 TD's thrown this season) that number jumps to almost 16(15.7). Just for kicks, his average INT's w/o those 2 seasons are 9.5. I know that I'm going purely by stats here, but the QB of the future only puts up 15 TD's a year?

Let's look at Fiedler's years w/ the Dolphins. In his 4 years, he averaged 14.75 TD's a year w/ 13.75 INT's, keeping in mind that he missed 9 games these past 2 seasons.

So...the QB of the future puts up about 1 more TD a year w/ 4 fewer picks? This is our guy?

No one said anything about Brunell being the future. Brunell is just a better short term option and gives the team a better chance of winning in the playoffs now than Jay Fiedler.

Originally posted by uncle_joe

His TD-INT ratio has been nothing short of excellent? 144 TD's compared to 86 INT's. Less than a 2:1 ratio. This is barely short of excellent? His best TD-INT seasons were 97 and 98 when he was +11. He also had a +10 season(2002) but everything else was just pretty much mediocre. He's got an arm and is accurate but has nothing else going for him.

He averages 13 TD's a year if you include his first season and this season. Without those seasons included(or the 2 TD's thrown this season) that number jumps to almost 16(15.7). Just for kicks, his average INT's w/o those 2 seasons are 9.5. I know that I'm going purely by stats here, but the QB of the future only puts up 15 TD's a year?

Let's look at Fiedler's years w/ the Dolphins. In his 4 years, he averaged 14.75 TD's a year w/ 13.75 INT's, keeping in mind that he missed 9 games these past 2 seasons.

So...the QB of the future puts up about 1 more TD a year w/ 4 fewer picks? This is our guy?

This is one Dumba$$ post.....How are you going to include his first season and this season in your analysis.....he hardly played in either of those seasons.......

Btw, ricky averages less than 350 yards a season if you count the year he was born until now....

:confused:

That was just plain dumb.

Back
Top Bottom