Should We Still Look At QB? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should We Still Look At QB?

Agent51

Practice Squad
Reaction score
OK, I'm personally not very happy about the Daunte trade, I have never like dhim, nor have I ever thought he was THAT good, and the fact that we gave up a 2nd rounder for him when he is comin off his worst season BEFORE the injury, then had a serious knee injury, which is even WORSE for a scrambling QB, just makes me so mad. It's the first thing I have completely disagreed with Saban on. However, I am not the coach, Saban is, and the fact remains that Daunte is our new QB so I will support him.

That being said, since his knee is an unknown and his play can be questioned too, given his performance last season before the injury, if Cutler falls to us do we still take him? I've been in Spain on a surf trip for the past week so the only thing I know about the situation is that we traded a 2nd rounder for him. It was the first thing I saw when I alnded, that Brees signed with NO and we traded for Daunte, and it made me so mad that I refused to check the TV or computer the whole time I was there. Anyway, since I just got back I'm not sure of the length or $ we signed him for so I'm wondering, do we still draft Cutler if he's there and have him learn behind Daunte, either til his (Culpepper's) contract is up then Cutler takes over, or until Jay is ready and we can use Culpepper as trade bait?

Personally I would like to see that happen (if we can't get a great DB in round 1) because I am not sold on Daunte, I wasn't even BEFORE his injury, nevermind now, and I don't think he is our franchise QB. I'm tired of not finally comitting to a young QB. Ever since Dan left we have just been trying to make starters out of career backups or trying to make a franchise QB out of someone who couldn't cut it somewhere else. I know Culpepper is a lot different then all the other becuase he HAS been to a Pro Bowl and stuff, but in my eyes it is still the same old "another teams trash is our treasure" situation than hasn't worked out yet. I wouldn't mind if Daunte was broguth in to run the team and teach the rookie for a few years, but I'm hoping he wasn't brought in to be our franchise QB.

Anyway, back to my question, does anyone think it is still a possibility that we grab Cutler if he is there?

I think there is no chance we draft a Qb in the first to be honest. Yea Cutler is a nice player that would be nice value if he fell, but he just wouldnt be THAT valueable to the dolphins when we already have our franchise qb. We aren't in a position to use our first round pick as a "luxury", we need it to strengthen our team in 3-4 other areas that are now a much bigger need than qb(S,Cb,O-line,Lb). All in all i wouldnt mind drafting a qb later that will take a little to develope and progress within the system. Like with one of our 7th's.... not in the first.

Lazy1 said:
I think there is no chance we draft a Qb in the first to be honest. Yea Cutler is a nice player that would be nice value if he fell, but he just wouldnt be THAT valueable to the dolphins when we already have our franchise qb. We aren't in a position to use our first round pick as a "luxury", we need it to strengthen our team in 3-4 other areas that are now a much bigger need than qb(S,Cb,O-line,Lb). All in all i wouldnt mind drafting a qb later that will take a little to develope and progress within the system. Like with one of our 7th's.... not in the first.

Yea, i see what you are saying. My whole thing is, while Culpepper WAS good, before last season, his play in the begining of last season and then the huge injury has me highly doubting his effectiveness now, thus I do not see him as our franchise QB, I see him as another fill in QB. I'm not saying he is a bust of bashing him, just questioning how effective he will be coming off his worst season and then a huge injury. I know QB is a longshot in the first, especially with our other needs, and I have been wanting CB/S in the first for awhile anyway, but I'm wishing we didn't give our 2nd up for him, we could have grabbed Croyle and groomed him, or if not then at least more players at positions we need. Oh well, we'll see what happens, I just hope we didn't make a mistake with Cutler. BTW, I haven't gotten a chance to go through the bazillion posts from the day the news broke on Brees/Culpepper, what ended up being the reason for Drew picking NO, the money?

first and foremost the only player that has a chance of falling is Young. Secondly we need a vet and we dont need to start a rookie and end up looking like chicago with kyle orton. though they won games...they generated NO offense whatsoever...so no...go vet

Agent51 said:
Yea, i see what you are saying. My whole thing is, while Culpepper WAS good, before last season, his play in the begining of last season and then the huge injury has me highly doubting his effectiveness now, thus I do not see him as our franchise QB, I see him as another fill in QB. I'm not saying he is a bust of bashing him, just questioning how effective he will be coming off his worst season and then a huge injury. I know QB is a longshot in the first, especially with our other needs, and I have been wanting CB/S in the first for awhile anyway, but I'm wishing we didn't give our 2nd up for him, we could have grabbed Croyle and groomed him, or if not then at least more players at positions we need. Oh well, we'll see what happens, I just hope we didn't make a mistake with Cutler. BTW, I haven't gotten a chance to go through the bazillion posts from the day the news broke on Brees/Culpepper, what ended up being the reason for Drew picking NO, the money?

I was hoping we would have that 2nd rounder too, it would have really been valuable, but when I think that we got a guy that if he is in the right situation is among the best in the league i look past it. It's understandable that not everyone is happy with the trade i however am excited as hell to have a guy like daunte, the thing that keeps me most upbeat is nick saban felt getting culpepper was worth a 2nd rounder and saban so far has really made every right move you could possibly make... so if your a fan that doesnt agree with the trade atleast give saban and the FO the benefit of the doubt and let it play out.

PhinSoldia said:
first and foremost the only player that has a chance of falling is Young. Secondly we need a vet and we dont need to start a rookie and end up looking like chicago with kyle orton. though they won games...they generated NO offense whatsoever...so no...go vet

I didn't say we needed a rookie to start, I was asking if there still might be a chance at drafting Jay if he should be there, and to have him sit and learn from Daunte for a few years, til Culpepper's contract is up, or close to it (or he isn't perfomring well anymore) and then Jay steps in, fully ready with a few years of gained knowledge.

Lazy1 said:
I was hoping we would have that 2nd rounder too, it would have really been valuable, but when I think that we got a guy that if he is in the right situation is among the best in the league i look past it. It's understandable that not everyone is happy with the trade i however am excited as hell to have a guy like daunte, the thing that keeps me most upbeat is nick saban felt getting culpepper was worth a 2nd rounder and saban so far has really made every right move you could possibly make... so if your a fan that doesnt agree with the trade atleast give saban and the FO the benefit of the doubt and let it play out.

Oh I'm definately giving him the benifit of the doubt, like I said, I don't agree with it, but there must be a REASON Saban did it, and, while I never liked Daunte before (I didn't hate him though, just wasn't a fan) I will support him now since he is a Dolphin.

I don't think we'll pick a QB even if Jay Cutler is there. We already spent our 6th round pick on Cleo Lemon so that's 2 QBs from this draft already.
Culpepper has a few years left in him so we have time to look for a young franchise QB in the next couple of drafts. We don't need to rush. We can offord to be a little patient.

i'd hope we'd grab cutler, but my gut says we'd use the pick for leverage and try to trade down. if we can't and he is bpa, you never know..

none of the top 3 QBs will be there at 16. We have traded away enough picks this year on QBs. I dont think we sould draft a QB unles it is with one our 3 7th round picks. That or look at undrafted FAs.

Yes, we need to take a developmental QB on Day Two. It was this failure that led to Jay Fiedler.

More than likely Denver will take a QB if its Cutler and they might take Vince Young so I don't we should really about a QB. Besides we need a Good back-up this year who could start at lease half the year just in case Culpepper is not ready.

Back
Top Bottom