Should we trade down in the first round? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should we trade down in the first round?

Trade down in the first round?

• Yes

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters

Boone

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Now that we have Feely,Boston, and Edwards....should we trade down for more picks?

Unless Andrews or somebody who likely won't be available (a Williams guy, Rivers) is there, I think we trade into the 2nd if possible.

Trade down, if Andrews is not there. Take Grove late in the first early second. Play him at C or RG. Plus pick up the extra pick. Only w/o Randall that leaves St. Claire at RT w/ an injured McIntosh behind him.
:)

It is too early to tell, i.e. we need Randall as a backup and need to see if Andrews or Smiley or whomever the FO has rated a quality pick at #20. If none of the guys are there, then we can trade down instead of reaching for a WR or DT or something

Trading down just hasn't worked out for the dolphins.

Trading Down

Could someone find a 1st round trade down in Dolphin history that actually worked out?

Originally posted by phunwin
Yes, but only if Shawn Andrews is off the board.

I agree, I think we need a OL, and if Andrews is off the board at #20, there will be no OL worth taking at that spot (Gallery will obviously be gone by then as well).

I'm not sold on Andrews. I am leaning towards trading down, maybe even twice into the 30's or early 2nd, then go Smiley, Snee or Grove. Add a pick or two, then even trade up later. I don't know if we want to go O-line overkill, but I wouldn't mind trying to snag Kelly Butler late 2 early 3.
It doesn't matter what our trade down history is. That is just superstition. If you pick the right guy, it's good. If you don't, it's bad. We've blown plenty of first rounders staying put as well. We need to hit with this one.

It all depends on who's there and who we want. I don't see the logic on takig Grove and play him at guard when we can take a real guard like Smiley or Snee and play them there. I'm not sold on Andrews and think Smiley's better.I also like Evans but don't even know if we want a WR or not.

Ozzy rules!!

Bobkin02

I totally agree with you. I am not sold on Andrews either. I say trade down and see if we can get GUARDS Justin Smiley, Chris Snee or CENTER Jake Grove. I would love for us to also pick up TACKLE Kelly Butler from Purdue. In my opinion, WR can wait until the 3rd round. Some may call me crazy, but I like Johnnie Morant from Syracuse. He is 6'4", 225 lbs. and runs a 4.5 forty. I know he has had off the field problems, but who give a ........

What do you all think?

MiamDolphins

I don't think we should trade down. This draft has some rare value at 20 that we normally don't see. If Andrews, Rivers, or one of the WR's slide into pick 20 (one of them could be there) then we're getting a player that is usually top 10 or 12 at 20 overall.

I can't imagine after giving up a #2 for Feeley we'd draft a QB in round one. I know everyone loves Rivers, but I can't imagine it will happen. It will probably be O-line.

I guess it would depend on who RS is expecting to be there when our pick is up...

Originally posted by Bopkin02
I can't imagine after giving up a #2 for Feeley we'd draft a QB in round one. I know everyone loves Rivers, but I can't imagine it will happen. It will probably be O-line.

Imagination if a wonderful thing Bopkin. :D I see Rivers (or say a draft day trade for Ramsey) as insurance that the Phins will have a solid QB. Jay is what he is, and that is just good enough to win some games, but NEVER the big ones.

Worst case with having Feeley work out, is that we have a QB to trade NEXT year. If Feeley struggles then Ramsey could step right in, or Rivers could be given some playing time. More than likely Jay steps back in and we go 10-6 or so and get whacked in the wild-card round. Jay can't take us any farther than that.

Anyway, there is ALWAYS a demand for a starting caliber QB, and we could work out a good trade if we had an extra one. WE just traded a second round pick for FEELEY, remember?

Besides, at worst I think Feeley will be a good #2 QB. That means we could get rid of Jay and his high salary (high for a #2 QB I mean) THIS year if we get Ramsey, or NEXT year if we got Rivers.

One more thought: Assuming no draft day trade for Ramsey, we need to hold onto that #20 pick UNTIL we know exactly who is available. No trading down early and not getting a shot at talent like a Randy Moss who slips.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta ask this though. We are currently signing young FA OL that have great upsides and have potential to comparitively small contracts, in the hope that they'll work out, and it's not costing us any picks.

so why would we trade down and pick up a young OL with potential? We're finding that via the FA and saving picks, if we get Randall, we'll have a full line of players that have the same amount of potential as the o-linemen at #20 and below will have. I'm not saying go OL, but is it wise to trade down and go OL? Why not trade up?

Back
Top Bottom