Should we trade down? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should we trade down?

se7ensaw

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Does anyone think it a good idea to maybe trade down from the 16th pick. Unless a guy like Greenway or Winston Justice were to fall to us, our biggest needs are corner and O-Line. And with CB, Williams from Va Tech, Youboty from Ohio State, and Cromartie are all really rated the same. As are the next group of Offensive Tackles after Justice. So if we could trade down 8 or 9 spots, pick up an extra draft pick or 2, especially without a #5 or #6, and still end up with good players at our needs, why not?

Use the same exact logic you listed as to WHY we should trade down, and apply that to WHY a team would want to trade up to 16?

Not every teams' needs are the same as us. What if Lendale White were to fall and still be available, maybe a team like the Steelers would want to trade up and move ahead of the Vikings to take him. I'm saying that if Saban doesn't feel there isn't a player he can get that he can't get a similar talent player 10 picks later, why not listen to trades. He was willing to listen when he had the 2nd pick last year, so you know Saban is all about acquiring picks, and I think it would be wise to.

Only if we get proper value for the pick.

That is what I am saying. If we can acquire another 2nd or 3rd round pick, that would really help us. We have a lot of needs, especially in the secondary, and Saban proved last year he knows how to draft. There are always guys who have 1st round talent who slip into rounds 2 and 3. Especially if there is no CBA and we sign Brees, that will hinder us from making many more big splashes in FA. So if that is the case, the Draft is even more important to us.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to trade down a little and acquire more draft picks, but I think there is equal value from 16-23 spots so I dont know if any team would want to trade up.... but then again, it really depends on how the draft plays out and what players are on board at #16. I would definately entertain trade offers, but we need to get good value for the pick. I wouldnt trade down just to trade down and Saban held to his value chart last year for the #2 pick.

We never know who is going to slip come draft day... heck it might be LenDale White or even Vernon Davis or even Vince Young..... some team might want to seize the moment to snag one of the guys who fall down.

However as most mock's stand right now, I dont see a player at #16 that would be worth trading up for.

The Draft can be a very funny thing. Don't forget Randy Moss fell all the way to #21. Warren Sapp fell to #12. Guys can fall, and there are a lot of instances in which that has happened.

I would love to trade down in the draft and hopefully get a 2nd round pick as well. I would then hope for Marcus McNeil in the 1st, Jason Allen and Bobby Carpenter in the 2nd, Omar Jacobs in the 3rd, Devin Hestner in the 4th, and whoever with the three 7th round picks. I would also like to take a look at Marcus Maxey out of Miami. I think he has a huge upside. He might take a little more than a year to develope, but I think he will make a solid pro. Anyways, that's just a dream scenario I guess. Not sure we could trade our 1st for another 1st and a 2nd.

I wouldn't mind trading down, picking up Ko Simpson, and getting an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Philter25 said:
Use the same exact logic you listed as to WHY we should trade down, and apply that to WHY a team would want to trade up to 16?

Exactly right Philter, I always laugh at these "should we trade down threads" because there are just too many unknown factors to consider that make it impossible to know right now what the best course is.

First of all you won't know until draft day, after the 15th pick is made, whether one of your targeted prospects is still on the board. I've never liked what JJ did in that one late nineties draft where he traded down before the draft even started, only to find that an incredible prospect fell to our pick.

Second, in order for trading down to make sense you have to find a trading partner who will give you proper value in return, that is also difficult to do until you know how the draft unfolds.

So the only logical way I could answer this question is....maybe, maybe not.

BlueFin said:
Exactly right Philter, I always laugh at these "should we trade down threads" because there are just too many unknown factors to consider that make it impossible to know right now what the best course is.

First of all you won't know until draft day, after the 15th pick is made, whether one of your targeted prospects is still on the board. I've never liked what JJ did in that one late nineties draft where he traded down before the draft even started, only to find that an incredible prospect fell to our pick.

Second, in order for trading down to make sense you have to find a trading partner who will give you proper value in return, that is also difficult to do until you know how the draft unfolds.

So the only logical way I could answer this question is....maybe, maybe not.

I agree, best thing to do is wait and see whats available.

I am pretty sure that nowhere in any of my posts did I say make a pre-draft trade. I simply stated that if we do not feel we can't get a player who is not superior talent at his position, and that if another team were to want to trade up, we should definately look at going that route. The year you are talking of with JJ making the trade pre-draft, was the year I already mentioned with Randy Moss falling down the board. If you are going to criticize someone for their post, have some kind of validity to your reasoning. Make sure you read the posts, and I am also pretty sure there were 3 or 4 other posts saying that it would be beneficial to trading down.

se7ensaw said:
I am pretty sure that nowhere in any of my posts did I say make a pre-draft trade. I simply stated that if we do not feel we can't get a player who is not superior talent at his position, and that if another team were to want to trade up, we should definately look at going that route. The year you are talking of with JJ making the trade pre-draft, was the year I already mentioned with Randy Moss falling down the board. If you are going to criticize someone for their post, have some kind of validity to your reasoning. Make sure you read the posts, and I am also pretty sure there were 3 or 4 other posts saying that it would be beneficial to trading down.

Easy man, no one was attacking you or anything.

Back
Top Bottom