Should We Trade or Release Rodgers? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should We Trade or Release Rodgers?

Would You Trade or Release Rodgers?

• Trade him now & Get Something!

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • Release him, he'll sign with us again for the minimum b/c no one else will want him!

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Keep him! He'll beat out Jr.! ;)

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
Word is, we are still talking with NO about trading him. The options as I see them:

We can trade DR and get a mid to low level pick (5th round is my guess). But the cap savings would only be $250,000 (unless there's some "hit" for a trade that I'm not aware of).

If we release him after June 1, we save $750,000 (.5 Mil more) and have that to add to our $$ for signing Griese and the draft picks.

There is talk that it would have to be a renegotiation. So we would renegotiate a deal with Rodgers, reducing his cap #'s and then trade him - which would allow us, presumably, to have both the savings in the cap and get a pick out of the deal. The catch here is, would DR go for it? Or, would he rather see what he can get on the market and choose the team he wants to play for. I would be surprised to see him do this, unless he thinks that NO is a good spot for him and he would be worried the same thing would happen to him that happened to OG - no one wants him and he has to sign a minimum deal - but, I think he's more marketable than OG (not a better player), b/c of his speed and quickness.

There isn't even a question. Obviously the Phins want to trade him and get something for him. Why wouldn't they?? :huh:

Personally I'm a little worried about injuries. I think it would be great if there was a way to keep him for depth, at a cheaper price. Seau was injured last year, and Thomas aint getting any younger either. If Seau went down then he could start in his old position, and if Thomas went down then Seau could start the middle and Rodgers could have his spot back. I know its very unlikely to happen as I believe Rodgers has already taken a paycut this year hasnt he? It sure would be nice though.

I say trade him, but also depending on what we get in return, I would only take from a 1st to an early 5th......if nothing comes up, then release him....or keep him for depth..

Originally posted by Predaphin34
I say trade him, but also depending on what we get in return, I would only take from a 1st to an early 5th......if nothing comes up, then release him....or keep him for depth..

Why would you rather release him and get nothing, rather than take a 6th or 7th round pick in trade? I don't understand that thought process.

It's getting a little late, but I say trade him now and get something for him.
It's almost like getting something for nothing.

I say release him. I'd rather get nothing than a stupid 7th round pick. THE GUY STARTED FOR US!! What does a 7th round pick get you anyway!?!

[/sarcasm]

It gets you guys like Derrick Rodgers.

Let those Saints come marchin' in!:hail: There's gotta be someone worthwhile in next year's draft!

Back
Top Bottom