Shouldn't/Couldn't we Trade Wade Smith? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Shouldn't/Couldn't we Trade Wade Smith?

P4E

Cogito, Ergo FinFanum
Reaction score
With the Cheerleaders in the Premie Forum
Wade Smith has shown that he probably won't ever have what it takes to be a starting Left Tackle. It's a shame (cuz he kinda got thrown to the wolves as a rook), but it's the reality.

So... what value to the team might Smith still offer?:confused2:

• He can back-up at LT, -- as long as we don't mind that the other team can choose critical downs on which to burn him at will...
  • Maybe he can back-up Center, -- but this sure sounds like one hell of an iffy project, borne of desperation to find a place to stick him. These odds are long.
  • My theory is that his most natural, attainable position would be Left Guard, -- but that starting spot is adequately held down by Jeno James. Thus we can't get starting use out of a third year guy we spent a high pick on.:(
If we didn't have Jeno, I think Smith would have a strong chance of coming out of camp as our starting Left Guard. It's where he seems best suited. But, -- and this is my whole point -- if we can't get much use or value out of this guy under our present circumstances... is it possible that another team might be so in need of a starting(?) Left Guard that they might trade us a 4th or high 5th for him?

no. no chance.

so far, what we and the rest of the league know, is that isn't cut out for LT.....the only position he's ever played in the NFL.

the rest is all a bunch of question marks.....why would any team trade anything for that....not to mention a 4th or 5th rounder.

burger13 said:
no. no chance.

so far, what we and the rest of the league know, is that isn't cut out for LT.....the only position he's ever played in the NFL.

the rest is all a bunch of question marks.....why would any team trade anything for that....not to mention a 4th or 5th rounder.

I know there's a strong tradition in sports to trash a player completely if he fails to meet hopes and expectations, but... the fact that Smith came up short in a desperation attempt to play THE most difficult line position AS A ROOKIE does not in itself mean he's a no good bum.

I accept the point that the other positions are question marks and a 4th would be asking a lot, but... I'd be interested in people's thoughts about whether his short-of-adequate performance at LT might still show him to be a possible LG. And are you saying no one would give a 6th for him? All answers are fair.:)

Why get rid of him? Hes only worth a really low draft pick, just keep him and see what he can do. I dont understand why we should just dump a guy that might work out for a throw away draft pick.

P4E said:
I know there's a strong tradition in sports to trash a player completely if he fails to meet hopes and expectations, but... the fact that Smith came up short in a desperation attempt to play THE most difficult line position AS A ROOKIE does not in itself mean he's a no good bum.

I accept the point that the other positions are question marks and a 4th would be asking a lot, but... I'd be interested in people's thoughts about whether his short-of-adequate performance at LT might still show him to be a possible LG. And are you saying no one would give a 6th for him? All answers are fair.:)

I didn't trash him and I certainly didn't say that he's a "no good bum"....just that he proved inadequate at LT...the only postition any NFL team has film to judge him on.

now, since we already have his rights.....it makes sense that we try all things possible to make good on our investment in him....so let's try him at Center, or guard, DE, QB, whatever......

but I can't see a team giving up ANYTHING for a player who's completely untested/unproven at G, C, etc and inadequate at LT.

What would a team offer us for him? An old used dirty jock strap?

NO WAY we'd get a 5th and we wouldn't even sniff a 4th for him. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom