Shovel Pass | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Shovel Pass

BSQX4

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I just saw Florida use a cool shovel pass against Florida State. Didn't we used to have the shovel pass in our playbook? Wouldn't this be a safe play to bring back especially with a less than great O-Line? It could be another very cool way to put the ball in Rickeys' hands with his shoulders' squared and moving at full speed.:pirate:

we would have to be playing an aggressive D...I was watching the same game and the linebackers all went for the QB...leaving the RB for the shovel

notice how great it worked the second time though? I cant believe they actually called that play again that soon...D read it the whole way

Not with the instabiltiy of our line

I'd be pissed to see a d-lineman bust through intercept the shovel pass and run his fat a$$ all the way to the goal line. Would be nice, but I doubt we'd do it especially the way defense key on RW all the time. But you never know.

Shovel passes can work well against defensive ends more interested in a QB sack (and who like to rush an outside route) than reacting to what's happening in the backfield. You let them break free and then leave them standing there like idiots as the RB runs through where the DE was a moment before.

Shula/Marino used to make Mark Gastineau look foolish with this play regularly.

Jason Taylor is a good candidate to have this run against him, but he's also quick and fast enough to recover from it better than most, and still make the play.

wow...that ball was in the air for what...65 yards? I thought the game was over for sure afterthat fumble. This is why I enjoy college football these days :D

just saw the replay, throws it from the 40, to about 4 yards deep, 64 yards!

shovel passes are like sweeps, they only work against bad d's because they suck

Shovel passes are generally improvisational plays where everything else is breaking down and the only option left is the RB who's only a couple of yards in front of you. Favre is the king of the shovel pass because the guy has such incredible awareness of what's happening on the field.

Expo, you're saying that it's not a called play in the huddle but rather like an outlet type of scenario? I'm pretty certain that it is a play that is scripted against an aggressive defense. Did we ever run it with Norv or am I thinking of Chan Galey? Can't remember.

Most shovel passes are indeed scripted plays. If they were strictly improvisational, we wouldn't see that many of them. Certainly not within 2 seconds of the snap (as we usually do). And many of those would end up being fumbles/balls hitting the RB in the back/side, since the RB wouldn't be expecting a pass when he's supposed to block.....or just getting into his route.

with 8 or 9 men in the box it will probably still be difficult to shovel

i like our chances of dump offs in the flat better. Spread out the field

now is it still considered a pass, so if the rb does drop it its incomplete, or is it like a pitch, so if he drops it its a fumble?

Back
Top Bottom