Shula To 'Bama Official ... ESPN | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Shula To 'Bama Official ... ESPN

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
ESPN is reporting it's a done deal. Good luck Mike. I think he'll do well in college - should have good organization and should be a decent recruiter for them. He'll certainly bring a great deal more integrity to the job than the past few guys.

One option that has been discussed in replacing him is Norv taking over as QB coach. I think that could be a good thing. The one negative I can see is if Norv leaves next year and the staff is still here, there's no one really in position to carry over the same offense. I think we need several years of continuity to continue the system Norv has going. It's a good system and the longer players play in it (see SF, DEN, GB, etc.), the better they are able to perform.

As to his going ... if we do well, he will likely be gone; if we do poorly, he will likely be gone.

This is nothing but good for the Dolphins in my opinion, ESPECIALLY if it turns out Norv does take on the QB coaching responsibilites...

Its also good because, one person I would NOT want as my OC if Norv departs is Mike Shula... I have as much respect for the Shula family as any aqua-blooded fan, but I don't think Mike Shula has actually helped ANY team he has worked with...

I heard on the Radio today that by the time he left Tampa Bay he had lost the respect of "most" of the players around him...

Dave Moore (former Bucs TE) said that, as an OC, Shula's offense was pretty good. The packages, scheme's, motions, etc. were good. And they usually looked the same lining up for every play (which was a good thing). He just didn't do enough with it. In other words, he wasn't a good playcaller on gameday (unlike Norv, who's among the league's best). He didn't capitalize on the advantages the formations gave him. He didn't mix it up enough and couldn't keep the defense off balance.

The only negative I could forsee about Norv filling the position would be the added workload interfering with some of his other responsibilies and inhibiting him from being the best OC he can be. That said, Norv is one of the best QB coaches there is. And if he feels coaching the QBs wouldn't hinder him as OC, great. Get him going yesterday!! This is probably going to be the case.

I wish Mike nothing but the best at his alma mater. Hopefully he can carry the tradition like his old coach Bryant. Any news on his replacement other than Norv?

It is a shame they didn't want Jim Bates. This team is going no where untill they change thier D up a little. Hopefully Madison, Surtain, Thomas, Taylor, and Seau, etc...will just play their own style and ignore the coaches.

I agree on Bates. Glad Shula is gone as well since we now don't have to worry about him being the OC. I would like to see someone who's had success working with QB's be brought in, a guy like a Jeff Tedford(Cal), not him specifically obviously, but a guy known for bringing QB's along.

If Norv has time to be that guy, then great. If they go another direction, i hope it's not another of the good ole boys of Wanny.

Originally posted by Phinstd
I agree on Bates. Glad Shula is gone as well since we now don't have to worry about him being the OC. I would like to see someone who's had success working with QB's be brought in, a guy like a Jeff Tedford(Cal), not him specifically obviously, but a guy known for bringing QB's along.

If Norv has time to be that guy, then great. If they go another direction, i hope it's not another of the good ole boys of Wanny.
there's nothing wrong with bates that a 30-06 wouldn't fix!:rolleyes:

Never liked Mike Shula much, not as a QB at 'Bama and not as a Coach. I always felt he was too conservative. Still, he always seemed like a nice guy and I wish him the best of luck at Alabama.

Im curious to see who the Phins bring in to replace him. Will it be a Norv Turner guy, or a Wann/Spiel guy?

Originally posted by Dajesus
It is a shame they didn't want Jim Bates. This team is going no where untill they change thier D up a little. Hopefully Madison, Surtain, Thomas, Taylor, and Seau, etc...will just play their own style and ignore the coaches.

Bates has been 1000 times more successful in the NFL than Mike Shula... If you want to "change the d up a litte" I dont think you replace the coordinator, you might ask him to tweak some things and be more aggressive in certain situations, but you don't just replace him...

As for Shula, I'm glad he is gone but I feel sorry for him because I think this is going to get ugly... Its going to turn into a racial thing...(actually already has on some local radio shows in Atlanta) Shula WAS not the most qualified candidate. There was a candidate that by resume was 3 times as qualified as Shula... But there is no way, even in 2003, that the University of Alabama is going to have a black head football coach.

I hate Alabama....and don't like people that like Alabama.....It pains me that soemone with the Shula last name is going there and has been associated with the school in the past....Mike Shula is dead to me!

Perhaps I should look at this as perhaps the first step to the Dolphins once again being coached by a Shula....Maybe the experience will mold the younger Shula into the spitting image of the old man. If only that thought didn't include any type of success for the Crim
son Tide football team, I would eagerly await the return of the prodigal son.

Since any success by Mike Shula would in turn lead to success for the Alabama football team then I am forced to wish bad things upon him and his coaching staff.

May they always fall short of the basement in the SEC!!!:beerbang:

GO GATORS!!!!!!!!:D

Last edited:
Well, its good to see Shula get his own HC job. But I still wanted to see Shula coach Griese in Miami again. That would of just been sweet seeing the fathers and then son's do that.

I talked to Ex-Dolphin and Alabama

player Don McNeal yesterday and he thinks that Mike will do an excellent job...

Good luck Mike...I think he has his work cut out for him, but this will be a great opportunity for him.

Back
Top Bottom