shula's playbook | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

shula's playbook

BLUEPHIN

Starter
Reaction score
I remember back when jimmy took over he made a big deal about simplifying the "massive" playbook of Coach Shula - Things became so simple under wanny that my 4 year old called called run on 3rd and 9 - usually correct. ;) Teams now are really going to have to goto school on the Fins and spend an inordinate amount of time preparing for our schemes instead of gameplanning or vanilla O and D. The prep time alone gives us an advantage - Anyone who thinks great coaching and preparation does not make a good team great is kidding themselves - it then stands to reason that coaching can turn a mediocre or average team into a good team - We have alot to look forward to folks!:)

Having a huge playbook is not the answer. It is having the confidence in the players and coaches to adapt to the opponent. Maybe you would call that "having a huge playbook". It's not just about having a multitude of plays to pick from (Rams) for the offense, teams should take advantage of weaknesses in their opponents and use their strengths to magnify these weaknesses- whether it's offense or defense (Patriots). You can't do this "we've got a great running back so let's just run, run, run" and see if the opponent can stop you, because they will.

I agree but the problem with wanny was that not only was he not creative in how he designed our offense and deffense (playbook) but we was not willing to call plays to take advantage of the oppositions weaknesses - he only focused on what he perceived as our strengths - I submit that Saban is putting a big playbook together to prepare the team to take advantage of other teams weaknesses aswell as accentuating our strengths

TeeMoney said:
Having a huge playbook is not the answer. It is having the confidence in the players and coaches to adapt to the opponent. Maybe you would call that "having a huge playbook". It's not just about having a multitude of plays to pick from (Rams) for the offense, teams should take advantage of weaknesses in their opponents and use their strengths to magnify these weaknesses- whether it's offense or defense (Patriots). You can't do this "we've got a great running back so let's just run, run, run" and see if the opponent can stop you, because they will.
I strongly agree....The secret is to create lots of mismatch...
For example---Davis Boston v.s a 3rd nickel CB whom he should easily beat
McMike v.s. a shorter, slower LB whom he should easily beat

Even putting Ronnie and Ricky on the field at the same time to create confusions and leave Chambers and Booker on single coverage.....This is what I call taking advantage, abusing, and humiliating the opponents...

Wanny didn't write the playbook, he set the strategy. Norv's playbook was, at one time, one of the best- but Norv was directed by Wanny and other circumstances (QB, WR's). Miami hasn't had the ability to use a variety of plays for a while now. It's not just an insistence on certain plays, it is an overall strategy of winning through tough defense and ball controlling offense. At one time that was the winning strategy for NFL teams- and at times it still is but you have to have an overwhelming defense that is capable of producing for the offenses deficiencies (remember the ravens).

BenchFiedler said:
I strongly agree....The secret is to create lots of mismatch...
For example---Davis Boston v.s a 3rd nickel CB whom he should easily beat
McMike v.s. a shorter, slower LB whom he should easily beat

Even putting Ronnie and Ricky on the field at the same time to create confusions and leave Chambers and Booker on single coverage.....This is what I call taking advantage, abusing, and humiliating the opponents...

Exactly, you've both said it perfectly, you match your strength's against your opponents weakness. That's what this offense and it's philosophy are going to be all about. Unlike when Wanny put those restrictions on Norv's playcalling, Saban will let Scott call what needs to be called to be the most successful from down to down.

I can't imagine anything worst than being predictable on the playing field or in life. The competition will eat you alive!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom