SI.com likes our drafting | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

SI.com likes our drafting

Browns' recieving(not dumpoffs, I mean lining up as a WR) and blocking skills make him the best overall back in the draft. There is no other back in the draft that can do what Ronnie Brown does. Caddy may be more of the pure prototypical RB but Saban doesn't want that. Saban wanted a versatile RB who can be used in a variety of offensive positions with equal success. Brown will throw off defenses and make the offense multi dimensional.

ckparrothead said:
I'm not sure I agree on the potential bit. As an attribute for a runner, I would show a bias toward vision and balance as opposed to pure power. Ronnie and Caddy are about the same speed, Ronnie a little tiny bit faster I think, and Ronnie has leagues more power, but Caddy has far better vision and great balance. Balance can be a great substitute for power, sometimes a better substitute.

But it is undeniable that Brown has far better hands. He has the potential to be a more reliable runner, while being as reliable a catcher, as Brian Westbrook up in Philly...without all the injury concerns. A lot of football analysts were gushing about Westbrook this year, calling him the MVP of that offense rather than T.O. or McNabb.

I like brown but i think Caddy has more potential. He is the better of the 2 when it comes to pure running and it will be easy for caddy to streghthen his game b/c he only has to work on the little things like more crisp routes and needs to add to his blocking and catching(but all the backs need to work on those things) Brown while he is powerful isn't as elusive and needs to work on his hip swerve and elusiveness... hard things to teach. People thing Caddy is a weak outside runner, but let me tell you this he can run it hard up the middle and is hard to take down. IMO i love brown but i think caddy will be better.

ch19079 said:
they dont take in to consideration where you were drafting at.

they just see a list of picks and say those are better guys than another team picked.

with the #2 overall pick you SHOULD have drafted very good players.

If they didnt take draft position into account they wouldn't have mentioned how we picked up Matt Roth a round later then he was projected and same with Channing Crowder.

ckparrothead said:
Because they are different positions. Physically speaking, just because Ronnie is 6' even and 230 pounds, and runs a 4.4, as opposed to 5'11" and 217 pounds and runs a 4.4, that does not make Brown physically dominant over the 300 pound defensive linemen, and 250 pound linebackers that will be attempting to take Brown's head off on every play.

But wide receivers play in a different area. They play in space. They match up one on one with corners who are typically 6' tall even, with between 4.4 and 4.5 speed on average, and who probably weigh an average of 200 pounds. Luckily for these corners, the wide receivers typically average MAYBE 6'1", but more likely only 6'0", with probably 205 or 210 pounds, and also between 4.4 and 4.5 speed. Actually, I'd say that where corners average 4.45 speed, wide receivers probably average 4.50 in the speed factor. And remember, because these are primarily ONE ON ONE matchups (as opposed to being gang tackled by 1000 pounds of flesh), these attributes become very important.

At wide receiver, when you are playing in space, primarily one-on-one (even when it is a zone), usually one defender at a time unless it is a deep ball against the cover 2, when it would be 2 defenders. Having an average of 6 inches of height over the corners is huge. It's the entire reason 6'4" and 6'5" wide receivers get drafted and are able to make their way in the league despite consistently having sub-standard speed. But, Matt Jones, the freak of nature, has above-standard speed to go along with the 6 inches of height and 30 pounds of weight that he holds over the one-on-one matchups he will face.

Immediately, before he learns step 1 of his technique, defenses will have to double team him by playing a safety long and a corner short. Why? Place a big huge corner or safety (slow defender) on him to keep up with him in bulk and he will beat him deep 10 times out of 10 on a simple fly route (run straight forward, look for the ball, catch it). Place a quick corner on him who is most likely small, and Jones will dominate him physically (ever play basketball against a guy 7 inches taller than you and try to defend him?). This is even BEFORE Jones learns any technique. So what you'll need, is a bigger corner covering him short, and a faster safety covering his deep routes...a classic cover two like we use to play before Saban came to town.

What that also means is, before you've even taught Jones a single thing about being a wide receiver, he has already done more than his share to open up the running game, and your tight end.

Interesting, however this won't fly if the person covering him can leap as high or higher than Matt. You don't have to be taller to swat a ball down.

Lazy1 said:
I like brown but i think Caddy has more potential. He is the better of the 2 when it comes to pure running and it will be easy for caddy to streghthen his game b/c he only has to work on the little things like more crisp routes and needs to add to his blocking and catching(but all the backs need to work on those things) Brown while he is powerful isn't as elusive and needs to work on his hip swerve and elusiveness... hard things to teach. People thing Caddy is a weak outside runner, but let me tell you this he can run it hard up the middle and is hard to take down. IMO i love brown but i think caddy will be better.

Very true, that's why Caddy was considered the starting RB at Auborn, elusiveness is a tait hard to teach, either you have it or you don't, it will get Caddy a 1 yard more than most backs. I think the second pure runner is Benson, actually he may be even with Caddy, and he's proven to be durable, which Caddy and Brown haven't had to carry a load..well Brown did when Caddy was hurt 2 years ago, but they haven't had to do it consistently. So the potential for burst really is more on Caddy and Brown than Cedric, Ricky proved that that program have work horses that can play in the pros. And that guy has to have a chip on his shoulders with all that's gone on with his draft status when he was once considered the #1 runner in this draft. At least Chicago honored him and made him the 2nd rb to be picked. It would be great to see all these backs make it though a complete year to say who was who. All 3 teams run difference style offenses and seem to have drafted to their style. We have a passing O, so Brown is a good fit, Chicago runs more, Cedric, and Tampa does both, Caddy..they all sure be in position to do well, if our OL do it's part, this sure be an interesting season for those 3.

Superself said:
Interesting, however this won't fly if the person covering him can leap as high or higher than Matt. You don't have to be taller to swat a ball down.

With that height and jumping ability, how many corners to you know can really hang with him. Pittsburg has shown me over and over that a QB can be a really good Receiver...i.e., Ward, Stewart, randle el...

ch19079 said:
they dont take in to consideration where you were drafting at.

they just see a list of picks and say those are better guys than another team picked.

with the #2 overall pick you SHOULD have drafted very good players.

Did you even read the quote? We were rated for our overall draft, which included our getting a first-round value in the second (Roth) and a second-round value in the third (Crowder).

Back
Top Bottom