SI Preview: Dolphins poised to make a giant leap | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

SI Preview: Dolphins poised to make a giant leap

This team is either going to be really, really good or really, really bad.

I just don't see a middle of the road mediocre 8-8 style season this year.

I don't get comments like these.

How can you see the team as being really good, but then see them being really bad? Either they've got skill or they don't. It's not like those aliens from space jam are going to randomly come suck the talent out of our players and make them play really poorly.

This team can make the leap, or be just an average team again. This is not a team that goes 4-12.

This team is either going to be really, really good or really, really bad.

I just don't see a middle of the road mediocre 8-8 style season this year.

Completely disagree. I think we most likely go 8-8 again. But there is a good chance we win 10 or 11 if a lot of the things we are hoping for come to pass. No way do we win less than 7 games without key injuries to Tannehill and/or Albert, Grimes, Wake, etc.

How can you see the team as being really good, but then see them being really bad? Either they've got skill or they don't. It's not like those aliens from space jam are going to randomly come suck the talent out of our players and make them play really poorly.

This team can make the leap, or be just an average team again. This is not a team that goes 4-12.

Because our division opponents exposed us. BUF front 7 is a mismatch. The Jets are capable of that split. And NE has Brady. The division will be a fight, the better teams on the schedule will not be static. Things will have to go right for this project to succeed.

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

I'm sure ATL wasn't expecting 4-12.

Things happen.

We were poised to make a giant leap last year too. We were 3-0, winning challenging games along the way. We put ourselves in position to win a wild card with a single win by beating Pittsburgh and New England in very hotly contested games. We blew both things royally. Why? Because our coaching staff, most of which we retained, is inept, and incapable of managing a football game in such a way that making more plays than the other team and having at times vastly more talented players will turn into a win. Regardless of opponent, the script for nearly every game was the same and came down to the wire in plays that were either made by seeming sheer luck giving us a win or continued bad plays when it actually mattered to get a loss. Somehow a guy in New York who seems to have a dearth of talent and one of the worst offenses in the league year in and year out can turn in the same or better records than us, and maintain a job despite lacking real success for years, because his team wins games in which the plays made in the game put them in position to win, which happens to be less games than our team. We just convert a drastically lower percentage of these games into wins.

I remember mid-2000's when the Bills were supposedly about to break out every year and started out hot a lot of years too. They ended up sucking every single year because in the end they simply weren't winners. The Dolphins under Philbin aren't either, or they would have won last year when it actually mattered, and they wouldn't have lost countless games since the first Jets game of 2012 that they were in clear position to win.

I agree. We will be between 7-9 and 11-5 depending on how our defense plays. I am actually feeling pretty good about our offense.

We were poised to make a giant leap last year too. We were 3-0, winning challenging games along the way. We put ourselves in position to win a wild card with a single win by beating Pittsburgh and New England in very hotly contested games. We blew both things royally. Why? Because our coaching staff, most of which we retained, is inept, and incapable of managing a football game in such a way that making more plays than the other team and having at times vastly more talented players will turn into a win. Regardless of opponent, the script for nearly every game was the same and came down to the wire in plays that were either made by seeming sheer luck giving us a win or continued bad plays when it actually mattered to get a loss. Somehow a guy in New York who seems to have a dearth of talent and one of the worst offenses in the league year in and year out can turn in the same or better records than us, and maintain a job despite lacking real success for years, because his team wins games in which the plays made in the game put them in position to win, which happens to be less games than our team. We just convert a drastically lower percentage of these games into wins.

I remember mid-2000's when the Bills were supposedly about to break out every year and started out hot a lot of years too. They ended up sucking every single year because in the end they simply weren't winners. The Dolphins under Philbin aren't either, or they would have won last year when it actually mattered, and they wouldn't have lost countless games since the first Jets game of 2012 that they were in clear position to win.

Sadly I have to agree with this for the most part, and really my only answer to it is "Just gotta hope the problem was the Shermanator." Because if Mike Sherman wasn't the problem, we're in for a long season.

When your offense is limited, crap happens. Clabo and McKinney were a joke and were exposed. No coaching in the final weeks against division opponents, can be hidden.

When your offense is limited, crap happens. Clabo and McKinney were a joke and were exposed. No coaching in the final weeks against division opponents, can be hidden.

They knew they were a joke and still did things like let a pass play be called facing Mario Williams when a run play was the best path to victory. That's how you turn victories into losses. That's why they aren't winners.

Back
Top Bottom