Similarities between Movie Any Given Sunday and the Dolphins? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Similarities between Movie Any Given Sunday and the Dolphins?

Fin-Loco

Grilling Chicken Little
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I was watching Any Given Sunday last night. Damn good movie by the way Pacino is awesome. I noticed so many similarities between the Phins and the fictional team in the movie. I would say it was the most comparable to Dan's last year. Qb controversy. Aging QB (Dan) vs new QB who can win games (Huard). The team in the movie is the Miami Sharks. Who just happen to play in the Orange Bowl. Was this all intentional? Olliver Stone has a habit of doing stuff like this. I sure wish we had a coach with Pacino's personality and desire to win. Any thoughts?

Well, the movie came out during Marino's last year playing, and this was mentioned a lot in the media.

There are some similarities, but as far as I know, Huard never made a rap video. If he did, though, I want to see it. LOL

I do think Wanny has the same passion to want to win, he's been in the business too long not to want to do what his mentor JJ couldn't do with the Fins..I think a championship for Wanny would vindicate his time in Chicago, showing in Miami that he's good at GM and HC...I bet his passion is even more intense than ours..

Originally posted by RICKYSABEAST
I would say it was the most comparable to Dan's last year.

Did the team in the movie lose 62-7 like in real lfe?:D

It's intentionally similar. Stone wanted to use actual NFL footage in his film, but the NFL wisely declined. They knew what the movie was about and kept their distance. When asked about the film's realism (the off-field lifestyle), every player I can remember hearing said things like, "It was pretty far out", "it's exaggerated", "it's not like that", "that's Hollywood". While I'm sure everything does happen, the events portrayed are nowhere near the norm, according to the players.

I was down there while they were filming some scenes (has nothing to do with anything, just thought I'd share :) ).

Re: Re: Similarities between Movie Any Given Sunday and the Dolphins?

Originally posted by BuffalosBoy

Well, the coach and QB both left. But not for retirement.

Re: Re: Similarities between Movie Any Given Sunday and the Dolphins?

Originally posted by BuffalosBoy

Very funny. At least the Dolphins won their first-round play-off game that year.

Originally posted by JackMeehov
Does H.Wayne have any daughters that look like Cameron Diaz?

If his daughters look anything like him, I'd say they look like a block of swiss cheese.:D

Originally posted by themole

If his daughters look anything like him, I'd say they look like a block of swiss cheese.:D

Did he and Norv have the same dermatologist when they were growing up?

my roommate has always said that any given sunday was loosely based on the fins, i thought he was crazy till this came up

Stones out in the event of a lawsuit was one line that he put into the movies final cut. It was a conversation where "the across town Dolphins" were mentioned. A couple of other notes about the filming of AGS... Oliver Stone was rumored to have went through a handful of the actresses that played the cheerleaders.....Quaid spent several nights with a blonde with short blonde hair (not Meg though...)...this is what set Meg off and she was very soon thereafter spoted with Russell Crowe.... As far as ON THE FIELD action... all of the players went through a "training camp"....the extras were worked 14-16 hour days during which time they were treated like crap by Oliver "I think I'm God but only have BB sized" Stone.

Back
Top Bottom