SI's John Clayton on Fins, Pats match-up | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

SI's John Clayton on Fins, Pats match-up

jetssuckSr

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
New England Patriots at Miami Dolphins: The Dolphins defense is hot. Red hot. They've allowed only four offensive touchdowns this season, and they are getting better each week. Their defensive ends put on a show last Sunday against Jacksonville and that's a concern because of the injuries that don't seem to be going away for the Patriots offensive line. Everyone expects a good defensive game because these AFC East rivals have good defenses. But the winner might come down to which team has the better quarterback this Sunday. Even though these are considered playoff caliber teams, neither is getting playoff caliber quarterbacking. Tom Brady has an excuse. He's had shoulder problems dating back to last season. Brady has a 72 quarterback rating, is completing just 58.1 percent of his passes and his 6.3 yards a pass attempt is one of the worst in the AFC. Many believe his lingering shoulder problem is worse than the team wants to admit. He's not throwing the ball downfield. Against the Giants last Sunday, he threw only one completion in the first half. For Fiedler, there is no mechanical excuse. He's just missing on the longer throws. The inaccuracy is slowing down the Dolphins' passing offense. Fiedler has completed only 56.8 percent of his passes and has a 74.2 quarterback rating. With a running back as potent as Ricky Williams, Fiedler should have a rating near 90. Fiedler's inability to get the ball downfield is allowing more defenders to stay near the line of scrimmage and limits Williams to 3.4 yards a carry.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1638868

Too bad the O-Line sucks and isn't giving Feidler any time to hit those long passes.

Brady can fricken have a picnic he's been getting so much protection in the pocket.

Originally posted by Barbarian
Too bad the O-Line sucks and isn't giving Feidler any time to hit those long passes.

Brady can fricken have a picnic he's been getting so much protection in the pocket.

Are you kidding? I admit to only having watched two NE games, but their line doesn't seem that great at pass protection to me.

There is a problem with our OL that is obvious.....we don't see the wholes for RW like we did last year. But, JF has had plenty of opportunities to get the ball down field and has not cashed in. Once we get the ball downfield the OL should do better with less pressure, until then RW will have all he can handle.

Originally posted by FinFrenzy
Once we get the ball downfield the OL should do better with less pressure, until then RW will have all he can handle.

The only problem with this theory is that teams are getting pressure on JF with a standard 4 man rush.

Even if he were to complete 100% of his downfield throws the OL will still be faced with stopping the 4 man rush.

Something they have been unable to do.

Originally posted by zachseau13

The only problem with this theory is that teams are getting pressure on JF with a standard 4 man rush.

Even if he were to complete 100% of his downfield throws the OL will still be faced with stopping the 4 man rush.

In the OLine's defense..... they have faced 2 of the best front 4's in the league the last two weeks. They also have their starting LT out and had their Center out for the Jags. Let's see how they do against a depleted NE team. Right now, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Wanted: NFL linemen

Requirements-

6'5" to 6'7" tall, 315 to 330 pounds, Should possess selection of Super Prep All America in Football and lettered in Basketball in High School. Preferably a top five candidate for Outland trophy in Sophmore, Junior, and Senior in College.

"Head Cases", drug addicts, and clients of Carl Poston need not apply.

i think norv can help jay with this one. if he calls for jay to move out of the pocket, he will have more opportunity to make those plays down field. it is obvious watching him he is not comfortable in the pocket. norv needs to help him get his timing back by giving him high percentage chances to make plays. they don't even have to be long shots down the field.

i think with all the inexperience due to injuries on the pats team, it would be a great time to try to confuse them a bit with roll-outs. again, working the short to intermediate passes involving femi, mcmichael and williams will help.

if norv continues to call for fiedler to stand in the pocket, i think he will continue to have happy feet and not get any rythm going with his recievers.

just my thoughts....

Originally posted by zachseau13

i wouldnt say just a four man rush. giants, and jax rushed DB's. they came crashing down. look its obvious they are running 8 man fronts. its only been said over and over again from the coaches. the problem is that we are not making them pay with the long ball. if mcnight catches that ball teh whole playing field changes. all we have to do is hit a couple of times deep and teams will back off. But we also have to get our blocking schemes going again. that is what i will be watching with the line this week. i wonder if it is a home game thing with us on blocking.

without the benefit of replay, the pass to McKnight looked very catchable in Jax, so i don't want to lay that one in Jay's lap. but Jay didn't have a bunch of time to throw all day.
i will be an optimist and say since we've had a few near misses on deep balls the last couple weeks, maybe Jay will connect this week against the Pats. also, it looked like the Dolphins played a pretty conservative (vanilla) offense againt Jax, with the excpetion of the double reverse attempt, and Ricky (or anyone else for that matter) should have known better than to make that toss and just eat the ball instead. it was clearly a busted play at that point.
maybe Norv and Wannstedt decided not to tip their hand too much with the N.E. game this week, figuring they could beat the Jags running a conservative gameplan and rely on the D. again i am trying to be an optimist going into this weeks game.

well i will be the first to admit we cannot sit back and keep saying "next week will be the week we get it togethor" We need to get it together now, the longer it goes on, the more we will press and risk more mistakes. We have the talent, we need the line to gel, get Thompson involved more and the qb to make the passes. If our offense can get it together, the way our defense is playing, we are dangerous.

Originally posted by rickeyrunsover
well i will be the first to admit we cannot sit back and keep saying "next week will be the week we get it togethor" We need to get it together now, the longer it goes on, the more we will press and risk more mistakes. We have the talent, we need the line to gel, get Thompson involved more and the qb to make the passes. If our offense can get it together, the way our defense is playing, we are dangerous.

YOu are a fan. It doesn't matter what you do or keep saying. You can say the Dolphins should start a block of cheese, doesn't mean they are going to.

Back
Top Bottom